Someone please read | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Someone please read Someone please read

Unread 12-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Someone please read

I just got home from my one year check up. I had a TAH one year ago today. Since then I have felt worse than I ever have in my whole life! I am in constant pain ladies and there are days when I can hardly walk, let alone work but I keep trudging on. I "STILL: have severe pain in mthe insision area as well as a cramping, sharp shooting pains and aches in my tummy. The pain is mostly isolated to my left side where there is also a "bulge". My whole abdominal area is still very tender to the touch and intercourse is next to impossible because the pain is sharp and deep.
I saw the gyno/ surgeon today and he told me there isn't anything there to hurt! He asked me what "shrink" I am seeing, did a half @[email protected] exam and told me to meet him in his office.
I have been a hyster sister for some time now and have been doing research on "adhesions" and am sure that is my problem. My gyno seems ti think it is all in my head and I am ANGRY and humiliated! I have had bowel problems from the start. It feels as if my insides are being "torn" at times and as I said the pain is constant.
My problem is that my gyno told me today that I will "just have to live with it." He also said he won't perform anymore operations on me because I take too long to heal! OMG! What am I going to do? I can't live like this ladies. This Dr. also put a hole in my bladder during the hysterectomy and I had to have "ANOTHER" operation last Feb to correct it now he has the nerve to suggest it is all in my head. It wouldn't have taken so long to heal in the first place if he wouldn't have screwed up the first time.
I think I have adhesions ladies and I don't know where to turn. Has anyone else had this problem with there doctors thinking they are crazy? I feel very alone and scared. I can't stand the pain anymore and even my primary Dr. sent me back to my gyno. Who is going to help me and take me serious? Aren't adhesions common? Who do I see? What do I do? I am only 36 and feel 70 my body hurts all the time. He wouldn't even give me anything for the pain.
Thank you for letting me vent. Thank each and every one of you for being here for me. If you all were not here I would be all alone right now as my DH is gone for a week at a time and I have no family. It's just me and my kitties.
Thank you for listening.....Merry Christmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Someone please read

(((Chrissy)))
I am sorry to hear that you are still in such pain. I can certainly relate. I would caution you not to try and self diagnose. While adhesions are fairly common, not all of our problems are necessarily caused by adhesions. I had a lap two years ago and not a one adhesion was found, even though I had previous problems with adhesions.

My suggestion to you would be to find a doctor who is willing to listen to you and is willing to explore the reason for your pain and problems. If your current doctor is giving you the brush off, than it's time to brush him off!!!! I can relate to that also, I've lost count on the number of doctors I've been to since the hyst. But for every door that closes, another opens. By continuing to seek out answers and not settling I have found some gems.

Unread 12-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Someone please read

Chrissy
Firstly you are not alone - thank goodness for this site.
Secondly you need see your GP as soon as possible or go to ER because Christmas is just around the corner and you don't want to be like this with no type of help available.
I have never had adhesions but it certainly sounds possible to me. Do you have friends who can give you support.
Please get some further advice as soon as you can.

Glenys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Someone please read

Chrissy - I'm so sorry you are in so much pain and I agree that your Doctor's treatment of you is way out of line. I would certainly be seeking another opinion if I were you, and I have no doubt you'll be able to find someone much better.
I'm sorry I can't add more than that, I don't know anything about adhesions, but somebody will be along in a minute.
In the meantime, don't be lonely - your sisters are always here!
Sending
S
joano
Unread 12-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Someone please read

(((Chrissy))))

First of all, let me say that your pain could be adhesions, but it could also be other things as well, we won't know what until you get help.
That doc is a jerk and needs to be kicked to the curb!!! Fire him and go find another GYN. You already said that you GP won't help you. If the pain gets bad enough, I do suggest to go to the ER....you might be introduced to a GYN that will believe your pain is real and help you.
Don't let anyone tell you that it is all in your head, because it is not. Pain is real, your pain is real and he had some nerve asking what psych doc you are seeing. Go to your GYN next week and get a copy of your entire medical record (it might cost some money, some don't charge, this jerk probably does)....get ALL the records from his office and then ask around to your female friends who their doc is, etc, but you need to find a new doc ASAP so you can get help. But like I said, I suggest the ER in a large hospital so that maybe you will see a GYN on consult in the ER and they can help you.
I am soooo sorry that you had to deal with that. Just know that you have plentyof sisters here that have got your back hun. Please keep us updated....you should not have to live another day with pain, remember that---go get some help...go to the ER.
Unread 12-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Someone please read

Been there with the jerk doctor before!! It really does a number on your self esteem doesn't it?

There is hope. I have a doc with incredible bedside manner now. Really, he should teach a seminar on how to deal with patients effectively. Anyhow, he's not the only great caring doctor. There is one out there for you - just may take time to find him/her.

Even though I really respect my doctor, I am still going for a second opinion out of town. My point being that 2nd opinion is routinely a good idea before making a major surgical decision, but especially in your case where you feel you are not getting the type of care you need.

I found the 2nd opinion doctor through the Internationl Pelvic Pain society website. You might consider giving that a look and see if that is the type of care you are looking for.

If your pain is too severe to be controlled, then go to the ER.

Lots of s
Unread 12-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Someone please read

Chrissy,

I am so sorry for your pain. I too am in the same exact boat. Do you want a ore? I have had abdominal pain since my TAH and two other surgeries after that. It has changed my quailty of so much. My last visit with my Onc was last week and I brought my husband along to stand up for me and prove to her that it is NOT in my head and I am not the only one out there with these complaints. I actually copied a thread started by our dear sister Utterless, titled Chronic Pain. I wanted to have my Onc read it to see that I am not the only sister with pelvic pain issues. As a result she nows says I have nerve damage and need to see a Neurologist. I feel like all she wants to do is push me along to someone else to deal with my problems since she can't see anything physical. She actually told me that pain is all about perception and what you make of it. This infuriated me and gladly my husband intervened on my behalf. I can't change how my doctor thinks, but I can change doctors. It is such a shame that some surgeons/doctors have a hard time putting themselves in other peoples shoes. I was an oncology nurse in my old life and always tried to empathize with my patients. I think some doctors could be more understanding if they had their abdomens cut open a few times and everything inside of it scrapped out.

I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone in your pain and it isn't in your head. I was comforted to read the thread started by sister Uterless. I am sorry for all the sisters who are dealing with pain. I hope my post makes you feel a little better. Sometimes when our feelings our validated by others it can make us feel better.
I hope you find the answers you need when you find a new doctor. All my best.

Lynn
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Someone please read

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynnels
I actually copied a thread started by our dear sister Utterless, titled Chronic Pain. I wanted to have my Onc read it to see that I am not the only sister with pelvic pain issues. As a result she nows says I have nerve damage and need to see a Neurologist. I feel like all she wants to do is push me along to someone else to deal with my problems since she can't see anything physical. She actually told me that pain is all about perception and what you make of it.
She is definately trying to push you off to someone else, that is so obvious. man I would love for her to feel what you feel if just for one day, her butt would be at the ER so quick!
I wouldn't go to a neurologist for this. You need to find another GYN who will believe you too. I am so glad yourDH was there to back you up...see they are good for something...LOL
I hope you find a doc also that will believe you and help you wiht your pain. I was one of those that posted on utterless's thread as I have chronic pelvic pain. We have to support each other and be advocates for others out there that are not believed by their docs.
Unread 12-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Someone please read

Thank you Marian. And you are right, we all need to support one another. It helps to know you believe me and understand my pain. Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Someone please read

Merry Christmas Lynn and all my other sisters out there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register