I Know NOw I am doing the right thing. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Know NOw I am doing the right thing. I Know NOw I am doing the right thing.

Unread 12-23-2004, 07:33 PM
I Know NOw I am doing the right thing.

Had my pre-op with the surgeon today. I am in incredible pain since last Thursday. My stomach is the size of a basketball. Had both CAT and vaginal doppler. Both imagery confirms complex cyst on right ovary with cyst is measuring 5.7 x 4.6 cm (my left ovary is 1.8x2,8. I have 5 fibroids ranging in the range of 4cms x 4 cms, my ca125 is elevated at 40. My gyn will have a gyn/oncogolists present at surgery. Although this was a fast decision I had to make because of the pain I am in I feel its for the best. I will be getting a TAH BSO. Since this was a fast decision am trying to convince myself its the right one. I will consult with my gyn next week to see what the gyn/oncologists thinks before wednesday's surgery. But all I want now is some relief. Anyone in the same boat.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 08:08 PM

I understand wanting the pain to go away, trust me, if anyone does it is me....but I have to wonder if that is good enough reason to jump so quickly into surgery. If cancer is a concern, then I think I would want a consult with a gyn/oncologist, not just have one there during surgery. You can take pain medication until you make a decision. Dont rush into anything just because it hurts..make sure you are making an informed decision and that includes knowing your alternatives. If there is something less invasive that can be done, wouldn't you want to know? Just think about what I said. I am not going to tell you to not have the surgery, I just wanted to give you an objective opinion. Please keep us updated and letme know how youare doing. I will pray that you find peace in any decision you make.
Unread 12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
-Marian

This is for you.....viewing your history of surgeries why did you do all that. Wouldn't you rather get the whole thing behind you....One point my gyn said was if you want me to take things out in pieces I can. Its entirely up to you. For me I want this overwith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 09:18 PM

I was 37 yrs old and my left ovary was clean when he went in to remove the uterus and right ovary which had severe endo. The surgery 3 weeks later to remove the left ovary was because the ovary was engulfed by thick dense adhesions that had moved it and twisted it causing cysts and a lot of other problems. There was no way to know that was going to happen. He wanted to keep that ovary for hormonal reasons and since he saw no endo, no sense in removing it. I toldhim if he saw one thing wrong with it to remove it...he didn't so he left it.
so, that is why I left it...like I said there was no way to know the adhesions were going to cause problems, but they have been a huge problem every since.
The d&c was for the excessive bleeding and he did a hysteroscopy to check everything and that is when he saw the endo. This last surgery was to remove extensive densse thick adhesions again...I had no parts left before this surgery. But I wasn't going to remove a healthy ovary...it just so happened that the only thing wrong with it when they removed it was the adhesions, no endo on it at all, just a freak situation.
sorry to ramble on, but does that make sense?
Unread 12-23-2004, 09:32 PM
marianm

Every ones situation is different I am 48 in great health and shape got a really high pressured job to boot and can't spare continous surgeries. I respect your decision. But I am the primary care taker as my husband is in IRAQ. So for me I got take this huge step and limit my down time. I recently asked for a divorce. I am beginning to think this is an omen. I had a dream not so long ago before this all started to happen. I went to the OB gyn and my uterus exploded into his face and he stood up and I couldn't see his face and the entire wall was filled with my insides. I don't know but I think now it has to go. I don't want children or any more and want to continue on with my life. Hopefully cancer free. But like you said your only in your 30's I probably would have a different perspective but for me my life is half over.
Unread 12-23-2004, 10:22 PM

Hi!

I am so sorry you are having pain and facing surgery. I don't have any magic words of wisdom for you but I wanted to offer my support and a . I understand that you are feeling rushed and that you only want it behind you.

I wish you the very best with your surgery and I pray that it is successful. God bless you. s

Deb
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:27 PM

Thanks for updating us.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain.

I had what they thought was a complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary 6.6cm in size. This was determined by 2 transvaginal ultrasounds. I did not have the bloating and elevated CA-125 test though.

It did end up that I had a cyst, but it was attached to my pelvis not the ovary. It was liquid (simple) not solid. But, any growth even benign doesn't belong there. It could grow larger, change type, or rupture. So it was removed.

Before surgery my doctor told me that they could not tell if the growth was cancerous or not until they biopsied it. I went into surgery thinking both ovaries were probably going to be removed. She examined them and deemed them both healthy. So she left them.

I was also having very heavy bleeding 2-3 days out of my 7 day period. My uterus was removed, SAH. Ovaries were spared.

It sounds like you are thinking things over very carefully even though you are having to make a quick decision.

You mentioned that your surgeon would be consulting the gyn/oncologists before sugery. I think that's a good idea.

I will be thinking of you and praying that all goes well for you!

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!!

God Bless
Joanne
Unread 12-24-2004, 05:54 AM

Good luck ccrab. It sounds like you are well informed and are making a responsible decision. A "quick" decision does not always mean an unintelligent or uninformed decision. What is most important is if, when you made this decision was there a sense of relief? I think your innerself can speak louder than all family, friends, and experts combined. I myself had a sense of peace come over me when I was finally faced with "hysterectomy". I was brought to tears knowing my pain was almost over. Good luck to you.
Unread 12-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Re: marianm

Quote:
Originally posted by ccrab48
I had a dream not so long ago before this all started to happen. I went to the OB gyn and my uterus exploded into his face and he stood up and I couldn't see his face and the entire wall was filled with my insides.
OMG..what an awful dream to have!
I hope you didn't get me wrong. I am not telling you not to have surgery. My situation was completely different because I thought that the hyst/rso was going ot be it and it would have been if it wasn't for those blasted adhesions. I am know looking at a life long chronic pain issue and am currently inpain management.
I totally respect your decision and hope that you have peace and that you are pain free.
I am sorry to hear about the trouble with DH being in Iraq and the divorce. That has got to be hard to deal with on top of everything else.
Do you have a good support system there?
I have you down on my prayer list and will say a prayer for you, your family and the doctors performing the surgery.
When you feel up to, please let us know how you are doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register