Dreading return to work...anyone else? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dreading return to work...anyone else? Dreading return to work...anyone else?

Unread 12-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Dreading return to work...anyone else?

I too am dreading going back to work. I am suppose to go back on Jan 3rd. I am a Guidance Counselor at an Elementary School in the inner city. It is a tough and busy job!! On top of the TAH on Nov 17 I have arthoscopic (SP) on my right knee on 12/15. I slipped on kids booksack in a classroom during the beginning of school and torn the menisacs in my knee. Yes OUCH!! Then this week I had a root canal done. So I honestly hope that at my 6week visit the dr says I need 2 more weeks off. Wish me luck 2 more weeks would be so nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2004, 10:12 PM

I don't go back to work until Feb 7th. Luckily I have an office type job. However, I do travel extensively and I'm a bit concerned about the airport thing. I can check my luggage but getting stuff into and out of the car and dealing with my briefcase/laptop type issues. I have depositions scheduled in Philadelphia right after I get back. I have selfishly scheduled two of the guys who work for me to come through St. Louis so that they can carry my bags for that week. Is that wrong?
Unread 12-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Dreading return to work...

This thread has been so helpful, knowing that others are also struggling with this.

I called my boss three days before Christmas to see how things were going- I manage a small insurance agency, and my boss is the owner. She told me that I have caused the office much hardship, that everyone has had to work long hours and she is having to work until nine each night. She said it was my fault. because I had not gone to an OB/GYN soon enough and the fact that my uterus prolapsed was my fault. She said that the recovery was taking longer and my other post op problems (catheter for 3 weeks, 4 infections, allergic reaction to drug) were also my fault because I hadn't been to the OBGYN in a year and a half. I have had bladder problems for twenty years because of three ten pound babies.... I made an appt with the GYN as soon as I felt the prolapse. I am not certain how I could have prevented it, and this was not an elective surgery, but her hurtful comments seemed really rude . I had a TVH /bladder suspension on 11-19-04 and am planning to go back to work at six weeks, Jan 3rd. My boss told me that I had ruined everyone's Christmas in the office because I left them stranded. Talk about a low blow after 13 years of loyal work - never have taken more that 4 sick days a year ever.

I do not want to return knowing that work will be dumped on me with no sympathy if I get tired and no option to go back part time.

Am I feeling over sensitive having this hurt so much? Where is the compassion and love that Christmas is supposed to be about? This woman had a partial hyst twenty years ago, and told me that she attended a pro baseball game the next weekend!

Thanks for your support
Sarah from Houston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:15 AM

srandecker My what an insensitive colleague !!!!!!!!! awful ! Nothing is your fault ! The world will continue to turn with or without us, and if we don't take care of ourselves, nobody will. The only thing important is that you feel better, that your body heals and that your spirit is light.

I would have answered: dear so & so, I pray that you will never have to go through what I have gone through, may God bless you.

With people like that, in my opinion that's all you can do, because they can't seem to feel for others.

The way the song goes: you are going to rise up singing
seasons change, nothing stays the same.
Things will change and you'll be better soon, and if the whole office fell a part because you were not there, then you are an important asset to it's success !

---------------------------------
Generally speaking....

There seems to be a big difference between the US and Europe. Here a patient stays much longer in hospital (circa 6 days) after an abdominal hysterectomy, on the other hand we're expected to return to work full time within 4 weeks, big maximum 6. I'm hesitant when reading this discussion..... suppose I'll just have to pull together and get moving in January.

smiles & dreams
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:24 AM

I was going to try and go back to work on Jan. 3 myself, the start back of school for us after the holidays, but being only 3 weeks out of surgery, and feeling like I do now, I'm not so sure that I'll be able to handle it.

I work as a school secretary and I'm also the main back up clinic para....my doc said that if I was healing alright that he'd allow me to go back with major restrictions, but knowing how my office works, I don't think that'll do any good. I know that I have to have my Dr's clearance to get back to work and at this point I'm hoping that he doesn't give it. I'm out of sick days now so my paycheck will be cut very short if I'm out the full six weeks...I'm not sure what I'd do if I were out any longer.
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:44 AM

My Dr gave me a letter to give to work before I even had the surgery that said I would return on Jan 11, which will be 6 weeks. I'm at 4 weeks now, and know that if I had to go back now, I'd never make it, because of how tired I am, my lack of a good night's sleep, how long it takes me in the bathroom, and I also have a high stress job. We'll see how much difference another 2 weeks makes, but when I had my post op last week, my dr said, "If you don't feel ready to go back to work at 6 weeks, just give me a call, and I'll aurthorize you to be off another two weeks...it's not unusual to take 8 weeks off, and it's better not to push yourself." So, just call your doctor...it's worth a try!!
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:13 AM

Wow, I too am so worried about returning to work. Thankfully I work part time, but I have to lift heavy machines (65 lbs) and drive 100 - 300 miles a day. I don't see Dr until Jan 7 as he was on vacation this week. He told me when he released me I would be allowed to return to my normal activities but to be careful not to become deconditioned during my recovery. That just leaves me with many questions that I will just have wait to appt to ask. I am hoping for miracles here with my healing process. Had a hard time just pushing a grocery cart with my sons help. I really need the $, and so hope a miracle in healing happens in this next week. I am pretty sure I will be out til the 8 week mark, maybe longer, I guess time will tell. Certainly don't want to return too early and have any more issues.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:25 AM

bunnynose,
I absolutely love my job and for some reason I'm dreading going back tomorrow!!

I just don't have any energy and I know that I will be exhausted the first few weeks just adjusting!!

I think I will plan to eat out on the days I work, or use my crockpot. That will help.

Now I just need a maid and I'll be set

wondergram
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:39 AM

Hi bunnynose
I too work at wally world and I know they can be a royal pain at this time of year. I have work there 7 years and I know what they say about people who need to be off of work due to Illness I used to be in the management field and they can say some pretty mean things . when I went back to work my dr put me on half days till I felt comfortable with going back to full days . and believe me it has been hard since I went back two weeks before Christmas even at half days I was so tired when I got home I would have to lay down and rest an hour before I could do anything else . I use to like my job but now I could careless If any thing gets done I still do my job but I'm not going to over do it while everyone else who is healty can stand around and talk and get by with it and believe me my manager sees who gets their job done and who are the slackers because they tell me If they had more people like me they would'nt need them (slackers)
JUST TAKE IT EASY AND DON'T TRY TO BE SUPER WOMEN AND DON'T LET THEM PUSH YOU AROUND AND SCARE YOU WE WERE LOOKING FOR JOBS WHEN WE FOUND THIS ONE

Linda TAH BSO WITH BLADDER SUSPENSION 10-11-04 ADENO FIBROIDS CYSTS ON BOTH OVARIES
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:04 AM

Bunny,
It must be hurtful to be overlooked for a new position. Perhaps you might inquire why you have been overlooked.. perhaps taking a course or two might strenghten your chances. Otherwise if the cash is good, smile pretty--- be the best you can be... because cash counts!
Srandecker
Your boss seems like an abusive witch. The details of your condition are protected by law . She is not a doctor. Do not discuss the details of your condtion any more. You can always seek advice from a lawyer, but if you were happy there before and are compensated fairly, then smile pretty -- be the best you can be... because cash counts!!

I am also going back 1/03 to teach ---- at not quite three weeks. I'll hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register