Severe Hip Joint Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Hip Joint Pain Severe Hip Joint Pain

Unread 12-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

I had a TAH in May of this year. After 8 week recovery period, slowly started having pain in right hip joint and then in both joints. Has now become so severe that I am taking 800mg of motrin daily. It helps but does not eliminate the pain completely.
Is this related to the TAH? I had never experienced hip pain before the surgery. Just turned 40 yesterday.
Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 02:16 AM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

Hi I see in your profile that you kept your ovaries. Low estrogen levels can lead to the type of hip pain you describe. Are you having any other symptoms, such as night sweats or mood swings? You might want to see your DR and have an FSH test (simple blood test for ovarian function).

I hope you're feeling better soon!
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the info. I will contact my DR.
I am not having night sweats or mood swings. The only real problem I suffered from was extreme fatigue and that seems to be getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

I dont know if this could be your problem but I have a friend that had a TAH about a year ago. After her surgery she started having hip and leg pain. I dont know alot of the details but she has been to many doctors and they have told her that during her surgery somehow they displaced a nerve which is now giving her the pain in hip and leg and they cant fix it.

Thought it might be worth looking into for you. I will talk with her soon and see if I can get more details for you.

Shelley
Unread 12-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

Hi wprried
Now I'm getting 'wprriedI' too. I'm at 8 wks and just started having pain in one hip a few days ago.
I kept my ovaries, and all seemed fine until about 2 weeks ago, and now I'm noticing some changes. So far it's this - not hot flashes, but more like temp fluctuations where I'll feel hotter than normal. It doesn't usually last more than about 5 minutes and not every day. But now also... vaginal dryness :-(
I am getting concerned that they just might be on their way to quitting before long at all. Of course I wouldn't be surprised at all, but just hoped they'd hang in there awhile longer. (54) Aren't I the optimist? LOL
Surferbabe, I am <oops! please don't try to override the site's censor> far from home (and not on vacation) if this is a hormone thing. My history prevents HRT.
Is this a common thing? Any other ideas?

joano
Unread 12-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

(((joano))), your symptoms all sound like they come from low estrogen. When you say your history prevents HRT, what do you mean? I think I remember a previous post in which you said something about a family history of heart problems... what kind? That may not necessarily contraindicate HRT. What does your DR say about it?

Even if you cannot use HRT, you might be able to at least use some vaginal estrogen to take care of the vaginal dryness problem.

Have you had a bone (DEXA) scan yet to see where you are in terms of bone density? This is very important after this surgery, especially if you are on low or no HRT. A substantial amount of bone mass can be lost in the first year with no HRT.

If you cannot use HRT, you may want to check out our No-Hormone Desert Oasis forum for suggestions on how to deal with menopausal symptoms and what to take to help keep your bones strong.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

Hi all,
I remember before the surgery I was concerned that my one ovary would stop working. This website told me that sometimes the ovaries go into "shock" and take a while to start working again. I don't if that means weeks or months. When I had mentioned it to my doctor, she shrugged it off and said she had never known the ovaries to stop working as a result of a hysterctomy.

In the meantime, a friend told me to start taking glucosomine. I picked some up at Costco, and even though have been taking it for less than a week, seems to have lessened the pain somewhat. It is Glucosamine HCI 1500mg & Chondroitin Sulfate 1200mg (huge tablet), described as a joint health dietary supplement.
Take care.
Unread 12-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

Hi sisters
wprried - Thanks for the suggestion to try the glucosamine. I'll go get some & I'm glad to hear it's helping you. Maybe I can nip that in the bud - mine's not as bad as yours.
surferbabe - I definitely can't do HRT, it's my own history as well as family.
Soooo...back to the ovaries...(sorry, this thread is taking quite a swerve) why did I even keep them? I thought that even after menopause they were of benefit for cardio and in preventing osteoporosis. Are you saying that because of how quickly they're going south, that there might be no benefit of having kept them?
I have to say, I had been paying attention to more pressing events since August until surgery, but my decision to keep them was based on what I read (or misread?) here on HS and some other research too. (family heart history/no cancer) BTW, my Doc did counsel against keeping them, but left the decision to me.
I guess I'll be visiting Oasis and rummaging around in archives...Hmmmm

joano
Unread 12-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Severe Hip Joint Pain

i'm interested in opinions/observations on the ovary question myself. I kept mine. I actually left it up to the doc and she said they were fine. Uterus was shot.......bladder was really attached to it and it was huge and spongy. I'm starting to freak out a little about the whole "ovary shutting down" posts.

How often does that happen? Should I get a test to see if they are still functioning? or do you think the doc will think i'm nuts for asking?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register