Going home and no meds??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going home and no meds??? Going home and no meds???

Unread 12-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Going home and no meds???

I came home yesterday after having a TAH. My doctor would be leaving on a trip the day before my release so he warned me the doctor on call would be the one to send me home yesterday.

This guy comes in, talks to me for about 37 seconds -- and possibly in the last 17 seconds he was already at the door -- and goodbye.

When the nurse comes in to go through my discharge process, she talks about what I can do and what I can't. After that -- she maybe spent 38 seconds with me, which was a record time -- she says Merry Christmas and leaves. Hey, not so fast! I asked: "what about medication for pain and other stuff? Until half an hour ago you guys were giving me pills non-stop. Are you telling me I no longer need anything?"

Nurse: "Well, dear, the doctor did not prescribe anything."

Me: "Sorry, but I do not think that all of a sudden I will be totally pain free."

Nurse: Big sigh... "Well, if you want to wait until I contact him..."

Me: Duh... "Yes, I will wait."

After 10 minutes she brings me the prescription. I could see flames coming from her eyes. "Here it is, since YOU think you will be in pain."

Please, enlighten me here: am I out to lunch? Was I an idiot to assume I would go home with a prescription in my hand?

Vera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2004, 02:31 PM

My TAH was 12/21. NO you are NOT crazy. I came home with three prescriptions in hand. Which my DSO was kind enough to rush out and fill for me. Plus my Doc had given me a script the week prior to surgery because she didn't want me taking anything that could interfer with blood clotting and... OF COURSE ... I was scheduled to be on my period the week prior to surgery.

Good for you for standing up for yourself! I'm glad you got what you needed.
Unread 12-25-2004, 02:43 PM

Dear Vera,

Welcome home sweetie! Good for you standing up for yourself on this one. You would have been in a world of hurt(no pun intended) . without that medication. I don't even know what to say about the behavior of the dr and the nurse that checked you out. I have read you can report a nurse whose care is less than what it should be to the nurse supervisor. I am not a nurse and may have this term wrong, but I don't think it would be hard to find the right person.

The important thing now is to take care of yourself and to get on with your recovery. I hope you are doing well. You will want to rest and take short walks through out the day. Let you family pamper you until you get your strength back. I hope you have a smooth recovery and your own dr will be there for you if you have any further needs.

s, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2004, 03:03 PM

This behavior is totally reprehensible! Me? I would get that woman's name and report her to the hospital. Who does she think she is? As for that lousy doctor, I'd also report him. If you didn't get a proper response, I'd report him to the AMA and her to whoever can smack her professionally.
Unread 12-25-2004, 03:46 PM

omg what planet are they from??,as if you dont need pain meds after a major op like that, i would make an official complaint!!
Unread 12-25-2004, 06:05 PM

You are definitely right to speak up for yourself. It sounds like the doc and nurse were just rushing you out. That happened to me last year when I had my other surgery. The doc was rushing out the door to go on vacation that very day after my surgery which took 4 hours. The nurse came in rushed through the discharge papers which said I could go back to work in two days...believe me, I did not. I had a laparatomy and was in major pain, and also they dishcarged me with a 101 fever and mega pain I couldn't even walk without being doubled over. It is important you speak up so something can be done about such horrible treatment...I did and found out the doc got several bad reports. You can report their behavior to the head of the hospital, that will pull more weight.
Unread 12-25-2004, 06:23 PM

As a critical car nurse, I would positively report this nurse. There is no excuse for her rudeness. I would call the hospital on Monday & ask to speak to the nurse manager of that unit. This should not go unreported. Her boss will not think this nurse is very unprofessional unless it is bought to her attention. You feel better knowing she isn't getting away with it.

I hope you have minimall pain & had a chance to enjoy the holidays.
Unread 12-25-2004, 06:49 PM

HELLO I HAD TAH/BSO AND CAME HOME WITH MEDS IT IS JUST HORRIBLE THE WAY YOU WERE TREATED. HOPE EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL THE FIRST WEEK IS THE HARDEST BUT I AM AT WEEK THREE AND I'M SO HAPPY AND GLAD I HAD MY SURGERY. GOD BLESS
JAMIE
Unread 12-25-2004, 07:42 PM

two days ago I got a survey from the hospital about my whole hospital experience, from the time I checked in, getting ready for the op, iin recovery and everyone that dealt with me on the unit I was on.
I let them know the things that were not right. But I didnt have as big a problem as you. pain meds are soooo very important to recovery.
Unread 12-25-2004, 09:41 PM

I went in to emerg two days after my surgery for a hemorrhoid issue. I thought while i was in there I would find out about my staples. I was afraid to get on the table by myself, and told the doctor and the nurse about it. He did the anal exam, and i asked him about the staples. The nurse grabbed my tummy, and yanked it up. I could not move, I could not breathe, and I started crying. I was so upset...Then to add insult to injury, they both left the room. Nursey pooh came back in to hand me the Rx the doc left, asked me if I was ok, turned around and as she was walking out, told me to take my time. I was still crying. I got off the bed finally, without killing myself, got dressed as best i could and limped out of there holding my stomach and bawling my eyes out.

I called the hospital the very next day, left a message for the lady in charge of the nurses and critical care, and she called me back. I told her how terribly upset I was, post hyst, to have this nurse grab my stomach and wrench it up! This lady had gone through addominal surgery the year before and was very sympathetic. They called me back, told me the nurse had been reprimanded, and had apologized to me, as did the entire hospital.

I hope this helps and gives you the strength to follow through. And yes, I have had this nurse since but do not like her, she is still nasty and crusty!!

Hugs
Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register