Very discouraged | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very discouraged Very discouraged

Unread 12-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Very discouraged

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone out there had problems with they're blood pressure going-up after starting HRT. I started taking Cenestin on Dec. 6th, and had to go on blood pressure meds. a week later. It seems to be under control with the meds. but I'm not thrilled about taking more pills.

Crazy in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Very discouraged

While I haven't had to take any bp meds, I did find that my bp was higher for some time after the hyst. In the past, I've always ran low normal on my bp, than it went to high normal. I was concerned but my doctors didn't seem to be. Eventually the bp went back to my pre hyst levels. For me, I think it was the stress of surgery and my body adjusting.

Unread 12-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Very discouraged

Hi I had a problem with high blood pressure about 6 months after my hyst. It was at a time when I was trying to wean myself down to a lower dose of estrogen (Vivelle dot patches). At that time, my internist told me that I'd have to show very high blood pressure at three separate office visits before she'd 'diagnose' me with hypertension and possibly try me on medication. She said that transient episodes of high blood pressure are common, and are not meaningful in the grand scheme of things. Often they're due to stress.

As it turned out, my high blood pressure persisted. Before trying any blood pressure medications, which I wanted to avoid, the DR suggested I stop trying to cut down my estrogen and try putting it back up where it was. When I did that, the hypertension disappeared . So, for me at least, high blood pressure seems to be a sign that my estrogen level is too low. I never did have to go on blood pressure medication.

Oral HRT's such as Cenestin do have hypertension listed as a possible side effect; however, after only one week, I think it's impossible to tell whether the high blood pressure was a 'real' side effect of Cenestin, or whether it was because your estrogen level on the Cenestin is too low, or because you were stressed over something. Even stress over possibly having high blood pressure, can make the blood pressure go up! So can stress of being at the DR's office; it's called White Coat Syndrome.

Just my , but I would hesitate to jump into taking the blood pressure meds based on one week of high blood pressure. Also, if the blood pressure increase is associated with your HRT, I'd investigate switching HRT's to find one that didn't cause high blood pressure rather than adding another med. However, don't stop taking your blood pressure meds without your DR's approval; sometimes they have specific procedures for getting off of them if you want to try that.

If you decide to explore the HRT issue further, I'd suggest trying a transdermal delivery method (patch or compounded cream) rather than an oral estrogen, since the transdermals seem to cause fewer side effects.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Thank-you !

Thanks so much Kim m and surferbabe for your replys. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a complete panic and posted a question on this site and felt much better after reading the replys from others in the same boat. I won't see my Dr. until the 10th of January, she said I should give the cenestin at least one month, but three weeks into it and I have a headache at least once a day, seem to retain much more fluids and the blood pressure issue is still here. I have a list of things to talk to the dr. about I'm so uneducated regarding this HRT and I tend to become a little overwhelmed when I go in for check-ups. Well thanks again I'll let you know what becomes of me.

Crazy in Michigan
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Very discouraged

You may want to start keeping a journal of your symptoms. This may be helpful when you go in to see the doc on the 10th. Be sure to note what hrt you're taking and any other meds, supplements you are using also.

There's some helpful information in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Very discouraged

I am going to my internal medicine doctor on Tuesday about this very thing. I have had bouts of high blood pressure even before the surgery. (Had to be on Altace for a period of time). I was on the pill and took some sinus medine one day and it went bonkers - ended up in the emergency room. Now I am on the Vivelle Dot and it seems to be climbing again - not outrageously high, but just enough to give me a headache (I think its the blood pressure since it caused headaches before). I am so bummed since the Vivelle Dot has worked so well to balance my moods, help me sleep, etc... I guess I'll just wait to see what she says. Can't win for losing, huh?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register