MD refuses to give me more pain meds - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD refuses to give me more pain meds MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:14 AM
MD refuses to give me more pain meds

i have a massive stock of painkillers my gp had no probs filling a new prescriptuion last week and i am 4.5 weeks post surgery, id give them a blasting if you need them cos being in pain will halt your recovery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Pain meds

Good morning! It's not that I am in constant pain but it would be nice to have one to take at night. I too am a nurse and taking those large doses of ibuprofen for extended periods of time isn't optimal either. I can handle the discomfort during the day.
I'd like just a back up. I am thinking of how to call them this week. Funny how intimidating it is to call and almost beg for meds. Once this is over IT IS OVER and I'll go back to work and do my thing. Geez, I got more pain meds from my orthopod when I had tennis elbow surgery. I have seen MD's not prescribe pain meds to many patients when they need them, for fear of "getting addicted". When you need them, you need them.
That's all. Have a great day after Christmas - relax!
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:04 AM

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this country who overuse narcotics, so I think doctors have become very leary of giving them, even to patients who need them.
I was given a prescription for 30 Oxycodones when I left the hospital a week ago. I recently renewed the prescription and got 30 more (I had to go pick it up in person, no telephoning of narcotic prescriptions). I am taking 4 a day and my doctor thinks that is okay. I am hoping to cut down to 3 a day this week. I also take some Tylenol. I would like to not take pain meds at all, but right now I need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 10:23 AM

I felt compelled to write because I feel you should know that you may have some pain for quite a while. There is a reason that the Doc's are reluctant to prescribe more pain meds for patients. First of all, if you are taking prescription pain med which do work better than OTC's you have a tendency to over do it when things are at the optimum healing point. Doing too much at certain points will cause stretching and tearing of adhesions which in turn will cause scaring that will never go away without MORE surgery. Your body tells you when you should rest. On the other hand IF your pain is absolutely unbearable and can't be controlled with OTC drugs you must be seen by your doctor ASAP so that he or she may determine the reason. I hope that if you are still in immense pain that you call and insist on talking with your doctor or the doctor on call. If that does not produce satisfactory result then a visit to the emergency room is in order.
I hope this helps.
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Pain meds

Goodness no I am not in alot of pain at all - just at the end of the day. It's ok - I may call and explain this to my MD. As I said, I just don't like to be second guessed - I'm the patient after all. Thank you all for your input - the response about doing too much because you're taking pain pills was thought provoking - I never thought of it that way.
I do have a tendency to overdo it, just my nature!
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibroid Woman

Something is wrong if you cannot get some form of pain control with over-the-counter meds at this point. THAT should be addressed
I totally agree, if the pain is so bad that you need narcotics for the pain at 3 weeks, then the pain needs to be looked at. It should not be hurting 3 weeks out like that.
My suggestion: do not call the office and ask for more pain meds, call the office in the morning and request an appt because you are still having a lot of pain...let the doc examine you and then determine what treatment plan would be best for you.
Get that pain looked at, that is not normal to be in severe pain like that 3 weeks out.
Please let us know how it works out.
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:36 AM
very nervous about the meds

I have read they replys about the meds and I'm more nervous now.... my surgery is Tuesday and my doc gave me Tylox 500 mg told me to go get it filled today which was last Wed. He told me I will have a pump in the hospital I told him I dont take pain meds .... he explained that I will so I chaulked it up as I will have control so I wont give myself much.

I got the meds for after and just figured I shloud have them in case.....

I hate the way I feel in meds thats why I dont take them it looks like theres more pain then I thought .......

it's been 9 months if crippling pain I cant walk by 2 pm and sleep maybe 4 hours throbbing, burning pain ......

should I be nervous?????????????
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:44 AM

No honey....it is typical of gals that are in A LOT of pain before surgery to feel so much better afterwards that they have a tendency to over do it. Yes, your surgery will have some pain. We are all different and have different pain thresholds. Don't worry about things that have not happened and likely will NOT happen. You just concentrate on getting well and RID of the cause of your current pain. There have been many ladies on our forum that had no pain whatsoever after surgery....most of these were in a lot of pain before surgery. Relax and take it day by day.
Unread 12-26-2004, 01:40 PM

i went home with a prescription for darvocets (allergic to vicodin) and a refill. i used all of the first bottle and part of the second. i started having problems with itching as well as constipation, so i stopped taking narcotics. one bottle of 30 pills seems a bit stingy, but the ibuprofen worked almost as well (and didn't make me itch).
Unread 12-26-2004, 02:25 PM

WJP:

Don't worry about the surgery. I had a TVH, spent the nite in the hospital and was home by 10AM the next day. I had suffered thru worse period belly aches than what few aches the surgery gave me. AND yes you will need pain meds for a bit. I used the pump in the hospital as they hook you up before you're totally awake and you're gonna pay for it anyway....so use it!! I came home with Lortab, about 30 I think and only took about 4 over 2 days and that was it! No Tylenol...no nothing needed. Yeah I was sore and stiff but thats when you just lay around and re coup. It will be fine and you'll feel 100,000,000% better afterwards.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register