MD refuses to give me more pain meds - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD refuses to give me more pain meds MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Unread 12-26-2004, 03:11 PM
MD refuses to give me more pain meds

wjp..
I have a high tolerance to pain. From 10 years of having these horrible periods I suppose. Anyway... long story short... for me...

TAH @ 7:30 a.m. on 12/21
Back in my room by 1:30 ish kinda hard to recall I was so out of it- long surgery lots of "sticky" problems with my bladder
I was fairly out of it until about 8:00 the next morning. I think in large part because I was under so long. I had the pump removed by 1:00 on Wednesday. I had stopped using it and didn't like the way it made me feel. I know the pump was working but I had them dial it back as slow as possible until it was removed.

Anyhow. I've taken ONE percaset since i've been home. I take ibuprofen or tylenol when I need to. I'd say I've not used it more then twice a day and this is my 5th day post op.

Hang in there. You can do itttttttttt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
i have a massive stock of painkillers
It is not a good idea to "stockpile" and "save" prescribed medications. When a drug is prescribed it is meant to be used for a specific condition. Sometimes using a drug that was prescribed for something else can be dangerous.

Quote:
It will be fine and you'll feel 100,000,000% better afterwards.
We can wish you the best and pray for you however, we cannot ever guarantee the outcome of another person's surgery. Surgery is surgery. Any surgery has the risk of complications.

Quote:
IMHO antiinflammatories do a good job after the very early recovery period, and have less danger of either constipating or addicting.
I agree with (((Linda))) about this. After I came home from surgery I took ibuprofen with my prescribed meds - it made a world of difference.

If you are still having pain weeks after surgery or have pain that is getting worse instead of improving you need to call your doctor. As you recover you should gradually feel better, not worse.

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:29 PM

My experience with painkillers was totally opposite of what I thought it would be. I had a TVH on Monday, Dec. 20. I came home Tuesday afternoon. The nurses gave me Demoral (sp?) in my IV until I had eaten solid food Monday night. Then the nurse gave me a percoset and I ralphed my guts out! I felt more awful from that then from the surgery... Collectively, we decided percoset wasn't going to work for me.

My doctor sent me home with 30 lortab (hydrocodone, vicodin, all the same thing, i think...). I was convinced that wasn't enough and that I would need more! I was in pain, so I was taking them as prescribed. They do make me itchy, but they take away all the pain, so I put up with the itchiness.

Wednesday morning, I felt like crap. I decided to try and see if it was the lortab making me feel all horrible. I quit taking them, and by lunchtime, I was a new woman! I took Excedrin (i am a caffiene addict) to kill two birds with one stone. They took away the pain, and I didn't have a withdrawl headache. My back still really hurts, esp by the end of the day, and I take a single Lortab to sleep at night. Don't get me wrong, I really really like the way the pills make me feel after I take them. That is part of the reason I DON'T take them.....

I had a close friend get addicted to pain meds, and it was horrible to watch. Like earlier posts have stated, sometimes if you dull the pain too much, you trick yourself into doing things you really shouldn't be doing in the first place. And...if you really need the meds after a prolonged period, there is probably something else wrong.

Good luck with your personal experience...and to everyone else too. I am grateful I found this place, b/c being 28 years old...NONE of my friends have had a hysterectomy...and I really have no one else that can relate right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:41 PM

Your doc's office is smart to try and get you off the pain meds. They are addictive and have several side effects that don't help you get better. Probably the worse are constipation, urinary difficulty and sleepiness. To get better we need to get up as much as possible. With all the pain down there we don't need bad bowel or bladder problems.

Please try for your own sake.
Unread 12-26-2004, 04:50 PM

When I left the hospital my doc gave me a prescription for 30 darvocet and 3 refills. I didn't even finish the one bottle of darvocet I didn't like the way it made me feel, so I stopped taking all pain meds at 2 weeks out. I also didn't want to become addicted or dependent on them. Plus, my bowels were very sluggish and I didn't want to make them worse with all the pain meds.
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:46 AM

erm i cant remmeber saying i was "stockpiling" my tabs, i am still using them but meant that the dogs and hosp have given me plenty to be going on with!!
Unread 12-27-2004, 06:24 AM

So much great advice in this post for all the sisters. I was on Percocet for 1 1/2 months prior to my surgery. When I woke up post op I was in excruciating pain. The nurse told me I had probably developed a tolerance to the meds and had given me enough to knock out a horse. I had a PCA with morphine, and noticed it only worked for about 15 minutes before I hit the button again. My IV infiltrated so I was put back on Percocet with better relief than the morphine. Went home with a Tylenol #3 script that was gone in 4 days. Had severe pain and went back on percocet. After 1 week, my incision started pouring, and back to a slow shuffle. Went to Dr, and I had developed seromas. So there was a definite cause to my worsened pain. Within a week and a half I was down to a tylenol 3 in am and pm and taking 2 - 3 Advils in between. I read somewhere that alternating Tylenol with Advil helps some. Keep an eye on your temp and incision, and just let Dr know if there are any changes. I had extensive adhesion removal and required more pain meds than most. I enjoyed coming out of the narcotic haze. I still take Advil in am and pm. We are all different, and have different pain tolerances.
Unread 12-28-2004, 06:54 PM

I just got my second prescripion for vicodin and plan on it being the last of the pain meds for me. I am afraid of the pain but think it will be manageable at this point. It will be 3 weeks on thursday since my TAH/BSO. I am going to start taking the 800 mg ibuprophen and make these last 15 pills work for the pain. Everyone has a different pain tolerance and I think that it is not my business to tell anyone how they should be reacing to pain. To thine own self be true. Caution should be taken but no one has to be a hero. It is good to listen to everyone and ultimately make the best choice I can for myself. Debbie
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:31 PM

My doctor was very liberal with pain meds the first two weeks and I think would have given me whatever I needed. He even called two days after I went home to check on the pain level. At my two week appointment he stated that it was time to start pulling back from the pain meds (this wasn't a problem as I had already started doing that). I had quit taking meds during the day and was only taking them at night in an effort to not wake up in pain and lose too much sleep.

The problem is that we all have a different tolerance for pain so there will be some variations here. Stay close to your doctor on this one and try to use the mildest pain reliever you can.
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM

I feel really bad after reading this post like something is wrong with me... I had my ovaries, endo & adhesions removed on 12/16. They gave me percocsts in the hospital for pain. I was sent home with 30 vicondine I belive. I went in on 12/22 for my stitches to be removed & my insicsion was very weep with a tuch of infection. The np told me to clean it 3x per day and gave me another script for 30 pills. I came back to see her on 12/24 only to find that my inscison had opened 1/2 of the way she advised me I would need to pack it 3x a day. She called me on Christmas to make sure I had enough pain meds, I advised that I did. I went back in today and the other side of the incison desided that it too wanted to open so my GYN said he had to open the hole thing and pulled it open. Has to be packed 3x per day and they sent me on my way with another script for 30 pills. I go back next week Wed to get stitched up and was told if I need more to call. I find that I am taking about 5 per day right know at almost two weeks post op.

Seeing how many of you were off them by this time I am a bit conserned that I may be taking too much. Although the NP said I am doing really good with my pain.

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register