MD refuses to give me more pain meds - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD refuses to give me more pain meds MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Unread 12-28-2004, 08:48 PM
MD refuses to give me more pain meds

I was sent home with 30 vicodin (sounds like a standard post-op kind of prescription based on what I've read here).

One week post-op, I went back to have a couple of additional staples put in my incision because a couple of them had "popped out" and the incision wasn't closing up. I told my plastic surgeon I was almost out of vicodin and he said, "Just take ibuprofen". I knew that wasn't going to do it.

So a day or so later, when one of my drains stopped draining, I went to my GP to have it removed, and I asked if I could get more pain pills. She was very good about prescribing them, and I continued to take them until about 10 weeks post-op (gradually taking them less and less).

At 2 weeks post-op (where you're at now) I was still having to literally alternate the meds (example: a vicodin at 9 a.m., 800 mg. of ibuprofen at noon, a vicodin at 3 p.m., and so on) so that the meds wouldn't ever "wear off" because the surgical pain was still pretty intense.

So my recovery was much like yours seems to be. Do not feel as though you are weak because you are in pain. Please continue to insist on proper pain control. While it is certainly a good idea to use non-narcotic pain relief whenever possible (if only for your bowel function!), there is no set standard as to how long you "should" be taking narcotics. It's up to you and your doctor(s) to determine that.

My best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 11:15 PM
More than one way to rid yourself of pain....

There is no rule, it is true, set for how long to take narcotics.

However, the REAL issue here is: How long should pain...so strong that it can only be controlled by narcotics....continue before someone addresses the fact that the pain may be a result of a problem, and not the normal healing process? Nobody should have to suffer pain, but solving a problem may be more pain-relieving than a pill to cover a symptom of trouble.

Just my opinion...........
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:36 AM

It sounds like Sweety Tweety is doing everything she can to solve the problem of infection which is causing a lot of pain.
SweetyTweety - don't for one minute feel bad for still needing pain meds. That is what they're there for! We're past the days of just giving a gal a stick to bite down on when she's in pain.
I too am in a lot of pain and I'm 6 days out. I'd die if I didn't have the pain meds to get me through. Ibuprofen is SOOO hard on my stomach that it's more harmful IMO than for me to take the oxycodone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 03:19 AM

lol i cant edit my post now, but it was the docs not the dogs who refilled my prescription!!god im rubbish at typing!!
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:16 AM

Ah, don't feel bad for posting Sweety Tweety. My levels of pain always seemed to be worse than others. Can't compare. The important thing is you are being treated for a complication, and as that resolves, you will require less pain meds. I was on narcotics for 3 - 4 weeks, and as my seroma healed, I was able to just use Advil. Those open incisions can be very painful. I hope it heals up soon for you and you will be on your way to a speedy recovery. It gets very disappointing to develop these set backs, but know it will get better.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:10 AM

I had a SAH and a TT at the same time. My stingy dr. sent me home with 18 Percocet and no refills. I found out later I could have called in and got another script but nobody told me that. I suffered so bad the first few weeks. I came home on a Sun. and was out on Wed. Switched to Motrin.

I think I would have felt so much better with adequate pain meds and healed quicker. I think I could have used them for about 2 weeks.

I'm sure a factor for me was also fear of asking for more. I have a 34 y/o sister whose life is ruined because of pain pill addiction. It's scary business.
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:21 AM

I am 3 weeks out and on my 3rd bottle of percocet, which is almost gone. I took 60 pills in the first 10 days. That kind of worried me, but Dr assured me it was ok and normal. @ 2 week visit we agreed that I would still need the pills in morn. and at nite so he did the 2nd refill.
Christmas day I thought I was going to have to go to the ER the pain was so bad. And I didnt do anything aside from the couch, bed, and my little walks up and down the hall. So I took several pills that day.
I developed little bumps under the skin of the outter labia about 2 weeks ago (forgot to mention it to GYN) so I had a appt with family Dr yesterday. She had to do the swab thing. Scared me to death that something was gonna go in there, because I still feel a good bit of pain and pressure. I told her she was scaring me...
she says "Im not going to go all the way in... just relax"
tears were rollin down my face...IT HURT! SHe kept sayin it too..
"relax... relax" and I kept sayin my verse... "IT hurts.. it hurts!!"
Horrible experience!
Came back that I have a yeast infection... thank God for the 1 pill cure.
I asked my Dr.... will this make the majority of pain go away now?
Of course she laughed at me... she said that some women come out of surgery with no pain the next day. Other women feel 100%
by week 3.... and then there are the women that take the full 6 weeks to recover. And she informed me that I am in the 6 week catagory. YaY
I asked her if she could refill my percocet... but she says I have to go through GYN for that.
The main concern that I have seen from GYN about med refills...
is he DOES NOT want me to have bowel problems. Said that being constipated can really tear me up inside and cause extremly severe problems that I really dont want to go through.
Then I have to remind him that I have been dealing with narcotics for 2 yrs and know how to have a BM.
I am unable to take ibuprofen because of ulcer issues.
I tried to switch to maximum strength tylenol and that has no affect what so ever on my pain.
I am hesitant to call the Dr back for more pain meds, because his nurse makes me feel like an addict.
I think if I hadnt been taking narcotics for 2 yrs I would feel much more at ease.
If it turns out to be another bad day for me... Im calling... whats the worst that could happen?.... they say no!
Then I call back in an hour and say... can I have them now?
You have every right to have your pain controlled. If the pain wakes you 3-4 times a nite.. if it is painful enough to make your breathing change because your body is tensing up, if you have pains that bring tears to your eyes.... call your Dr and demand some relief. If he/she says no more narcotics... fine... but make THEM figure out what you will take to get rid of the pain. You have enough to deal with.
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:54 AM

Ladies, I wrote earlier on this thread and would like to add a few tid bits after reading the continuations. First and foremost....remember, I went through this surgery too with complications and I am a nurse.
Every thing you put into your body is either metabolized by the liver or kidneys. Pain killers (all of them) were not formulated and FDA approved to be taken more than the recommended amount in a 24 hour period (same goes for OTC drugs). Reason being the effects they can do to your body. If you read the PDR (your can do this online) most pain med's are not to be taken for extended periods of time. Most after 7 days every four to six hours can and will provoke addictive effects. Meaning your body requires more and more to maintain the same relief. The procedures we have gone through are in deed painful. Even with medication. Your body needs to rest and heal....however long it takes. I had my surgery in September and there are still days that if I lift something too heavy my body tells me that I over did it with PAIN. My doctor explained to me that with extensive reconstruction in the abdominal region it could take up to a year for everything to heal totally. Let me say I had extensive reconstruction and yes, I was in A LOT of pain for a good eight weeks. I will also say that I had to wean myself off the pain pills by lowering my dose each time I took it and my doc gave me a total of 30.
Now here is a suggestion....If you are still in a lot of pain and the doctor can not find anything wrong with your healing you CAN ask for non narcotic pain relief via what they call a walking epidural. Yes, the doc will have to get prior approval from everyone and congress but it can be done. I am a nurse and have seen it done all the time for long term pain relief.
Oh golly, I have written a book sorry!
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5152
Your doc's office is smart to try and get you off the pain meds. They are addictive and have several side effects that don't help you get better.
Pain meds are only "addictive" if you take them for a high feeling and not for pain. You can become physically dependent on them while taking them for pain for an extended period of time, but you can not become addicted unless you take more than prescribed and only for the euphoric effects it may have. There is a big difference between addictive and dependent.
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweety Tweety
I feel really bad after reading this post like something is wrong with me...
Seeing how many of you were off them by this time I am a bit conserned that I may be taking too much. Although the NP said I am doing really good with my pain.

Kim
Kim,
There is nothing wrong with you. EVeryone heals differently and you have been through the ringer with your wound...of course you are going to be in pain longer than someone who has no problem at all.
Do not feel bad, you have the right to have your pain controlled.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register