MD refuses to give me more pain meds - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD refuses to give me more pain meds MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Unread 12-29-2004, 10:53 AM
MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Quote:
Originally posted by SyZyGy
I am hesitant to call the Dr back for more pain meds, because his nurse makes me feel like an addict.
I think if I hadnt been taking narcotics for 2 yrs I would feel much more at ease.
If it turns out to be another bad day for me... Im calling... whats the worst that could happen?.... they say no!
Then I call back in an hour and say... can I have them now?
You have every right to have your pain controlled. If the pain wakes you 3-4 times a nite.. if it is painful enough to make your breathing change because your body is tensing up, if you have pains that bring tears to your eyes.... call your Dr and demand some relief. If he/she says no more narcotics... fine... but make THEM figure out what you will take to get rid of the pain. You have enough to deal with.
Who gives a flying------what the nurse thinks. If you are in pain, they need to find out why you are in pain first and then address your pain control. You have the right to have your pain controlled.
Please call the doc and let us know what they say. I would also suggest to be seen so that they can see how much pain you are in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM

I can't believe that someone said that at 3 weeks you shouldn't be in that much pain. Everyone is different and actually I was in pain for at least 6 weeks. My body frame and weight plays a big part. I am small and little body fat so I felt everything!! So saying that at 3 weeks you shouldn't have pain is not true.
Had to put in my 2 cents worth.
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boxwithme
Most after 7 days every four to six hours can and will provoke addictive effects. Meaning your body requires more and more to maintain the same relief.
It will not provoke addictive effects, your body will build a tolerance to the medication resulting in the need for more to maintain adequate relief.
pain control does not neccesarily mean that you are pain free, it is to take the edge off so that you can function at some minimum level.
If the medication you are taking is not controling the pain, you need to let your doc know, sometimes even just changing from percocet to lortab or tylenol #3 will do the trick.
You can only become "addicted" if you take the meds for the euphoric effect it gives you and not for pain relief. You can become physically dependent on them however which is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Ultram/Tramadol, anyone?

I feel lucky that I had minimum pain -- after the first 24 hours of morphine, I was put on IV torodol (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) which seemed to work just as well if not better than the morphine, and without spaciness.

When I went home, I had ibuprofen 'round the clock and Tramadol (generic for Ultram) for "as needed". I only took the tramadol at night, for the first week.

It doesn't sound like a lot of people were given Tramadol, which is in a different class from both narcotics & NSAIs. My doc said it has less problems with addiction and from what I've read causes less constipation (although the longer you're on it the more chance).

Maybe you should ask for that.
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM

So right, marianwrn and boxwithme.

Drug dependence is no more of a picnic than drug addiction.

I know when I had my seroma....yeah, an open incision is no walk in the park...thank God all the nerve endings were not firing, or it could have been worse (bikini incisions are usually numb for the first several months...).....I was very concerned when my narcotics ran out, too, especially since my tummy cannot handle a lot of Ibuprofen. My doc had me alternating Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Aleve. Worked just as well as my Percocet had.....AND, I could still poop without the neighbors hearing any screaming coming from my house! Eventually, the Aleve was enough.

Just as there are many alternatives to surgery and HRT, there are many alternatives with pain control, as well. NOBODY should have to suffer.

I DO believe there is a happy medium somewhere between narcotic dependence and biting on a stick............Your surgeon should be able to guide you to that place.
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM

ultram is a great drug, I have used it and it worked well, however with me I had hallucinations so I can no longer take it....they were good ones though, not scary ones..LOL
But it is good with mild-moderate pain.
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:18 PM
careful about tylenol overdose

i noticed some posts where people mention alternating tylenol with other meds. please, please check with your doc or pharmacist before doing this to make sure there is no tylenol in the other meds. the drug in tylenol is a liver damaging agent when too much is taken. it also is very dangerous to the liver when combined with alcohol and may be dangerous when combined with other drugs as well. many prescription pain meds also contain the active ingredient in tylenol in addition to the narcotic agent. it is important not to overdose on tylenol. i suggest contacting the pharmacist before combining or alternating different drugs.
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:34 PM

You are absolutely right about the alternating/combining of medications. There are toxic levels to many of these medications! Always check with your doctor.

Excellent reminder!!
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Post op pain

Kim do NOT feel bad.
I am four weeks out today and this week is actually a rough one. I have a low pain tolerance. I always have. I may be a nurse, but I am number one wimp.
I just called my physician's office AGAIN to request pain medication as this roll of an abdomen which now resembles the michelin man above my navel is really burning and stinging. The nurse told me it was "referred pain" from the incision. The nurse reiterated the same sermon about getting addicted, ya da, ya da, ya da. I told her it hurts, and to please ask my MD for something other than 800mg motrin. Of course, my doc isn't in the office today and the nurse said she will call me tomorrow.
I am actually alittle annoyed at this point. A grown woman begging for pain meds! I have read all the above posts and admire all of you girls with a high pain tolerance, and your concern about addiction and constipation is well taken. However, narcotics are for a reason, and that is to reduce pain. I can't imagine a physician denying a patient pain meds on request.
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
To SyGyZy

There you go-I am in the same boat. I hope you feel better-let's see what our physician's offices do for us, as I just called but must wait for my surgeon to give permission tomorrow. I'll bet she says no. I think if that is the case I will ask to speak to her myself. She is a tough one, though.
Also, Sweety Tweety, hang in there. You have had a rough course. I hope you feel better each day.
And thank you another sister for clarifying that there is no set rule for how long to take pain meds. That should be an individual thing.
PS - Meanwhile I have been taking ibuprofen since I ran out of percocet 12/20 and today is the 29th. The ibuprofen is starting to upset my stomach, even with food. Actually my appetite is gone because I fill up too fast because of this nasty abdominal burning sensation. So one good thing is I may lose a few pounds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register