MD refuses to give me more pain meds - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD refuses to give me more pain meds MD refuses to give me more pain meds

Unread 12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
MD refuses to give me more pain meds

I admit that I have a high tolerance for pain and am a quick healer, which I am very grateful for. I apologize if I made anyone feel like they should pull off the pain meds because of a "schedule". Some people heal faster, went in healthier or even had less done. I do agree with the ladies that have stated that if at three or four weeks there is a lot of pain to talk to doc, because there might be something wrong.

I have known people that were addicted to downers-acquaintences and patients. You see, I've worked in home health care and administered meds. I had a 75 year old patient that would sneak extra Percodan and wash it down with Vodka!! So, maybe my oppinion about pain meds is a bit twisted.

Also, I personally didn't like the way I felt on them, especially blurred vision. Then, when my doc removed my cath, but told me that I might need to have it put back in and that one of the things that really affects urine amount and bladder function was the meds, it wasn't hard for me to put them down.

There is a tiny line between dependance and addiction. I have only stated my opinion based on experience and care. no one should have to suffer pain, but I also believe that the power of the mind is way stronger than any pharmaceutical. I have delivered two sets of twins without pain meds, so I stand strong on this issue.

Just the other day, I was offered $100 for one Lortab. That oughta tell you something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 03:32 PM
understand your pain

I had a tah like yours 1 week ago my doctor only gave me percocet for the first 5 days now I am on darvocet and was only given 30 I hope they last they definately dont kill the pain like the percocet.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:56 PM

I am a drug and alcohol counselor; have been for 18 years. I have been clean and sober for 19 1/2 years. I have learned through my recovery that there is nothing wrong with taking pain medication as needed for pain, as long as you dont abuse them and have support. I have been almost 3 weeks post op and am finishing the last of my vicodin. have taken one today and may take one later if the pain is there. I take caution in taking them and feel that pain is more harmful to me right now than being a hero. You do what you have to do and follow your doctors orders. Guilt is a by-product I can live without. I have also seen people ruined by pain pill abuse but this is major surgery and the time that pain management is intened for. Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 07:32 PM

kkim...I had the same experience with both of those drugs, I thought the Dr gave me a placebo when he gave me Darvocet, got better relief from Advil.

ldldbe...Very well said sister, hope you have a great recovery. How wonderful that you are a counselor who can really relate to your clients.

Sisters...I think we all got a bit of education from this post with many view points. Everyone of us knows to consult a Dr for all our issues. Don't think you could read too many posts and come away not knowing that. I tryed to objectively rate my pain, only took the pills so I was able to move and function. As my function improved, I was able to cut down. As one sister said be true to thine self. I know myself Percocet has some tylenol components in it and was instructed by my Dr to also take Motrin at the same time. I started with every 4 hours, weaned down to every 6, then went 3 times a day, to 2 times a day, to pm, then just the Advil as needed. That was my Drs advice, just sharing. I hope all our pain issues become non existent issues for all the post op sisters and the ones suffering from chronic pain issues. To a Healthy New Year Sisters!
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:05 PM

Hi all I had to throw my in on this topic, I am 16 weeks post op and up until about a week ago still found the need to take the occational Loratab to get me through a workday, still sore and can not believe it is taking this long to heal. I can't imagine my Dr telling me no more pain meds after only 2 weeks, not that I took them everyday but geeez there were plenty of days when they did make the difference in the quality of my day. I am recovering well thanks to the meds - would not have made it without them!! We are all different and each recovery should be looked at as an individual situation, I envy the ones who have no pain after a couple of weeks - for me it has taken longer and I don't have any guilt it has taken this long and thank god for a Dr who understands and also believes Hysterectomys are underated. One this last note I suggest building a working relationship with your Dr and by all means ask for what you need this is not a contest on who can be out of pain the fastest - it is what it is.

Unread 12-29-2004, 09:37 PM

The home health RN came today to look & help me with my incision... She gave me some reasurance on the pain meds... She stated she is going to talk with my GYN or NP because she feels I am being under medicated for the amount of pain I have to deal with. My NP has me taking one vicodine every six hours, she feels that it should be 1-2 every four hours as needed for pain. She instructed me before she left that she wants me to take one every 4 hours & will evaluate my pain tomorrow.

When She cleaned my incison on a scale of 0-10 my pain was about a 14. I turned white, got dizzy, cold & almos passed out. Moving around the house taking pain meds as NP ordered my pain is about a 7 and at rest about a 2. She said we need to improve that.

I just wanted to up date you all since many of you where conserned... Hopefully soon I will start healing...

Kim
Unread 12-30-2004, 11:21 AM
pain meds

otion: today feeling very well no pain meds needed yet I am tender and sore I feel better and better every day. I am only 1 week and 1 day post op incision healed and steri strips removed yesterday. I have been getting up every chance I get and walking around and it seems everytime I get up its easier the next time. good luck with you pain. again I had tah uterus and cervix and cyst on left ovarie. happy new year
Unread 12-30-2004, 11:51 AM

Laddie,

I had bad TAH on 12/06. I was taking 4mg Dilauded every 4 hrs in hospital. I was in for 8 days due to complications. I have a masssive hematoma which is extrememly painful. When I was sent from hospital (a 2 hr drive from my house) they tried to give me darvecet and DH insisted that I get Dilauded as I had been on it for the preceeding 3 days and it was a long drive. Darvecet is really a mild pain killer compared to what we all got used to in the hospital. However my DH being an internist kept me from taking too many of the drugs. Actually I got scrip for 40 and after 3 weeks I still have 34 left. The problem is that the meds we get in hospital are narcotics and docs have to account for every script written (and they must be written, not called in). These narcotic drugs are HIGHLY addictive. You may think that you will not become addicted, but you may. It is not psychological addiction so you may THINK you will be fine, but your body with have withdrawals. I was extrememy upset my first few days back when DH kept telling me to only take one dilauded. I was suffering so much and wanted to bite his head off. However your system will build up a resistance very quickly to these things. I could not fight the pain with just one pill. When I was in the hospital they were giving me 4mg and it would knock me out so I asked for less. However by day 3 then 2mg no longer helped and I needed 4mg. I am thankful that DH made me take only a few and instead start taking ibuprofen. If not then when I really had the pain (like christmas) I would have been in a lot of pain. I have no doubt that you are in pain and it would be helpful to take the meds. However at some point you have to ween off them. I suggest a heating pad and ibuprofen if you can handle it. The heating pad has become my best friend!!! The only other advice I can give you is that if you really NEED the meds you will have to go to your family doc and explain to him. If doc whose sole job is dealing with gyne problems feels you dont need them now chances are he will not change his answer no matter how nicely you ask.
Unread 12-30-2004, 12:01 PM

i too got a refill, when i left the hospital (had surgery on friday, went home sunday) he only gave me a script for 10 norco. i know that they are strong, but 10! so i did call i had a bit of trouble getting the refill, but i called 3 times, nicely, but persistant! call again talk to the dr if the nurse does not understand the need maybe the dr will. but make sure you only take them if you need them you dont want to prolong the inevitable (sorry cant spell!) and you dont want to cause any futher complications from the drugs. maybe comprimise with a less strong drug.
hope you feel better soon!
by the way i only took 2 out of the refill - i took 600-800 mg of motrin instead and even though it did not take all the pain away it took off the edge so i could deal with my daily life
Unread 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM

While you will go through withdrawls with physical dependence on these drugs, physical dependence is not the same as addiction. YOu can only become addicted if you take more than prescribed and/or you continue to take the medication for the euphoric effect and are no longer in pain.
If you are having true pain, you have the right to adequate pain control and if the motrin is not working, then you should have something else. You will not be pain free, but you have the right to at least have the edge taken off. You can not heal and recover well if your pain is out of control.
as far as the withdrawls go with physical dependence...they vary according to what you are taking, how much and how long you have been taking them. If the pain is getting better controlled try to start weaning off of them and see how the pain does.
The most important thing---do not take them if you do not have pain and do not take more than what the told you to take. If he ordered 1 pill every 4 hours, don't take 2 unless you call him and he tells you to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register