What causes adhesions ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What causes adhesions ? What causes adhesions ?

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:39 AM
What causes adhesions ?

Anyone know ?

I was glued together inside, making the surgery longer, as my had to unstick me. (so for years I really did have a reason to be uptight )

All's fine now, but I'm curious to know what causes a person to be all glued internally (mmmm.... kind of nice to become undone)

smiles & dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 09:12 AM
What causes adhesions ?

Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery. Adhesions form as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery. The formation process begins before we leave the operating room.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions

Unread 12-26-2004, 09:34 AM
What causes adhesions ?

This is the next question for my doctor at my 6 week. I have never had surgery before. My operative report is loaded with sentence after sentence of how adhesions had everything stuck together. My doctor told me I had a difficult surgery. This was all confirmed in the lab report.

Adhesions, I always thought were do to trauma that would cause fresh bleeding or...torn tissue. This tissue, before healed over, grabs onto another near by tissue and the adhesion begins.
So...I've had two children...is this enough trauma to cause adhesions?? I also had endo...is this trauma enough?

I asked my doctor twice for adhesion prevention fluid, gel, or fabric barrier to be used after surgery but she said it would no good for a "wet" field. The barriers to prevent this are used in a dry field surgery for effectiveness. The manufacturing company disagrees with this theory, but of course they are trying to sell their product.

And now I'm worried. If I had adhesions before surgery....what is post surgery going to be like? I know no one can answer that. We'll all have adhesions...I just don't want repetitive surgeries in the future because of it. If I get any answers, I'll see if I can find you. Great question...and it's on my mind too!

Maralyn
I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:33 PM
What causes adhesions ?

Quote:
So...I've had two children...is this enough trauma to cause adhesions?? I also had endo...is this trauma enough?
It is possible. Adhesions are not only the result of surgery but can also form after an illness, pregnancy, etc.

I had my hysterectomy about 3 years ago. I had more surgery to remove my right ovary and adhesions six months ago - my right ovary was removed and the left ovary was wrapped in mesh to protect it from adhesions. My left ovary at the moment seems to be working good. However, for the past 3 months I have been having increasing pain on my right side (the side without the ovary. My doctor suspects more adhesions have formed. I am currently receiving pelvic massage in an attempt to manually loosen up the adhesions. So far, my pain is getting worse, not improving. I see my doctor on January 12th and it looks like I may be having another surgery to remove the new adhesions and put some additional barriers in place..{{{sigh}}}

Quote:
I just don't want repetitive surgeries in the future because of it.
Unfortunatley none of us ever wants more surgery but the outcome is unpredictable.

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:01 PM
What causes adhesions ?

hello
My gyn said I had adhesions sticking my uterus and bladder together and to the abdominal wall when he opened me up. He said it is very common to have adhesions like that once you have had previous c sections. I had four of them.I also had a lapro in Sept. because of expected adhesions on my intestines, which wasn't the case. I did however have adhesions on my bad gallbladder, so that surgeon removed it. those adhesions formed because my GB was very inflamed and very sick my surgeon told me.That surgeon also told me once females have had c sections and hysters. it is common to have gallbladder problems. I didn't understand why.
I hope this helps a little.
Peggy
I am now having a pulling feeling in my lower abdoman and around my incision. I am hoping no adhesions have formed since my lapro in Sept.
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:07 PM
What causes adhesions ?

First of all, I did want to let you know that endo can cause adhesions as well, I had some when they went in to look around during my hystoscope.
Also, everyone who has had this surgery, has adhesions (scar tissue is another name for it too)....everyone...it is just some of us poor folk have problems with them. Most walk around the rest of their lives and never have a problem or even know they have them.
Unread 12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
What causes adhesions ?

This adhesions question has me by surprise. I was so completely stuck together inside. The bladder, the uterus, the ovaries, the tubes, the intestins.

I've only had 1 c-section but some awful intestinal trouble and kidney infections in the past.

I was wondering whether infection can cause adhesions.

Hope y'all are doing well
I wish you lovely holidays.

smiles & dreams

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register