All this talk about pain - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

All this talk about pain All this talk about pain

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:42 PM
All this talk about pain

Hi Ladies.
There are so many variables to this healing game. Most of us go through pain, some are so lucky. I have learnt I cannot judge my recovery by anyone elses. There are women on here who had a much easier recovery, and some who will have issues for a long time, and some who will have issues forever. I wish this post was here when I had my surgery. It would have been nice to know that I was in for a long time.

Maralyn, I am sorry you felt so bad. I think Tab was just trying to get us to talk honestly about our pain levels, and was not bragging about it. I too have bowel issues that I swear will never go away. We are all individuals, and all have our own issues, both physically and surgically. So many of us think this will be a breeze, the doctors are nuts, it wont take 6-8 weeks, I will be back to normal in 2 weeks. HAH!! We all know now that it does not happen,and the pre op girls will be much better equipped if we are honest that we have had pain, some still have pain, and it is not the picnic we think it might be. The surgical pain is however doable, and will eventually go away for the most part.

Hugs to you all
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:47 PM
All this talk about pain

Hi lthomas,

Six weeks is still early in recovery eventhough it sounds like something else is still wrong. It's hard to determine when we make our decision, if all that we feel inside is 100% the reproductive system. I don't know if the surgery causes more stuff or if stuff was already there. Probably alittle of both for some.

I encourage you to call your GP and go on for further testing regarding the other symptoms. This could be your gallbladder or something else. Hey, the way I look at it....not many surgeries could be as intense as this one. If you go back in for something else it should be abit better. I understand being tired of the pain, but you may have to go just one more step. Please don't give up now....

Post on Wed. and let us know what your GYN says about the possible retocele. Are you on hormones? Not sleeping is one sign of low hormone my doctor says. Swelly belly lasts a long, long time too. Even if it's something else...you'd have to deal with it sooner or later. At least now you can rule out the uterine problems that you had.

I'm sorry your recovery turned. Thanks for posting because your experience is different and others need to know this is another possible outcome. And I know your not alone as the "Road Less Traveled Forum", has more sisters still dealing with issues. Hopefully, you'll get some answers soon. Please hang in there, I hope you feel better.
Maralyn
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:57 PM
pain talk

Maralyn....thank you so much for your post. I am so happy that someone puts the other side of the story out there. I read all of these positive, pain-free posts and it makes me want to cry. I think, selfishly, to myself why can't that be me? Am I being a baby? It makes you doubt your own sanity. Sounds crazy, I know.

So...I want to thank you for making me feel normal in my pain. I am five days post-op and struggling in and out of the bed and on/off the toilet. I pulled something on the way home from the hospital getting in to the car. I have been using an ice pack on my genital region. I almost fell over once from the pain. I cry A LOT. I am taking Dilaudid every 4 hours and Motrin every 6-8 hours. I just called the doctor on call this weekend and he said I could add extra-strength Tylenol as well.

It is not fun to take so many pain medications. I guess with all of the post-op comments about how little it hurt, I was in no way prepared for this surgery. I have had two C-sections and one lap procedure to remove extensive adhesions. I thought the surgery would be no more difficult than a C-section. WRONG.

My bladder was fused to my uterus, colon was twisted and attached to uterus, uterus attached to ab wall, large cyst behind uterus that didn't show up on a trans-vaginal ultrasound. Just since Sept when I had the lap done I had more endo and adhesions. My doctor said it was definitely time to do this surgery.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best but I do think it is important to tell both possible scenarios. Speedy recovery to ALL of the sisters.

Chan
TAH/BSO 12/21/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:38 PM
All this talk about pain

Hey everyone!

I guess for me, the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had never had surgery, so I had no clue. I had TAH/BSO w/vertical incision, 12/10/04. In the hospital, the first day they had ice pack on me all day and one of those pain pump buttons. I didn't really feel much pain unless I moved too much.

I went home with vicodin and alternated between that and ibuprofen 800 (took 4-200mg) and was surprised that I felt as good as I did. I had quite alot of back pain the first few days home, at night when I tried to sleep. I also had pain when I urinated but some of you ladies had posted info on that, so it answered my questions.

I stopped taking the vicodin after I ran out of samples, coz I didn't like the way I felt on it. I think that's why I didn't have constipation problems. I am still taking 800 mg of ibuprofem every 8 hrs. I notice when I am on my feet alot, (during Christmas festivities) or over do alittle, I get achey feeling "down there". I also get sharp jabs of pain every now and then but they don't last, usually where my ovaries used to be.

All in all, not too bad. Alot better than when I had a hard ball of a uterus and loooong periods all the time!

Sue
Unread 12-26-2004, 06:40 PM
All this talk about pain

I've never intended to sound like I was bragging whenever I said that I felt great or I was doing all sorts of things right away. I have often felt that my problems weren't bad enough to qualify to ask for help, or that I didn't really belong here because my problems weren't very bad.

I've felt pretty good during the whole recovery. But I'm still very surprised after 10 weeks that I can still do something that will give me soreness for the next day. Healing takes a long time even for those of us who are feeling great.
Unread 12-26-2004, 08:08 PM
All this talk about pain

I agree that we all experience "pain" on different levels. One person's pain is another person's discomfort. I had a TAH on 11-10 (kept ovaries) and I thought the surgery and recovery would be similar to my c-section. Well, as it turns out, I really don't remember anything about my recovery from my c-section (7 years ago) because I was too busy taking care of a colicky baby. Anyway, I have experienced mild pain, great discomfort as well as minor annoyances with my recovery. I am approaching the 7 week mark and have been fighting a cold for the past week. I am terribly sore from all the coughing and sneezing. (I just hate that feeling when I sneeze, feels like I am going to blow something out)

During the first three weeks I experienced some mild pain and great discomfort with getting up and down, walking and even trying to sleep at night. My stomach felt as if it were so swollen and tight, it was making my back sore from the way I was having to hold myself. I must say that week by week, I have become more mobile and the discomfort is mainly just annoyance these days. I still have swelly belly and can't fit into any of my jeans (really annoying), I have a cold with a tickly throat so I cough alot which really bothers me. I still don't sleep well at night unless I take a pain pill. The pain pill is more for getting to sleep than it is for pain. I just can't get comfortable.

So, the pain (or discomfort) is about what I thought it would be. I didn't have a lot of pain with my fibroids, so I can't say that it was a good trade off. I hope that in the long run the decision I made will prove to be the right one. However, I can't go backward, only forward at this point.

Karen
TAH 11/10/04 Uterine Fibroids (kept ovaries)
Unread 12-26-2004, 08:14 PM
All this talk about pain

Quote:
Originally posted by harley_kat
So many of us think this will be a breeze, the doctors are nuts, it wont take 6-8 weeks, I will be back to normal in 2 weeks. HAH!! We all know now that it does not happen,and the pre op girls will be much better equipped if we are honest that we have had pain, some still have pain, and it is not the picnic we think it might be. The surgical pain is however doable, and will eventually go away for the most part.

Hugs to you all
Kat
I feel exactly the same way...the thing is...for everyone...you have no idea how you are going to feel when you get out of surgeyr, no matter what you read ahead of time. I do agree that the ladies in waiting need to hear that yes, you could be in a lot of pain after the hyst , along with those who have had an easy recovery.
All of this doesn't even apply to those who have complications after the hyst, they need to be aware that those things can happen.
What it all boils down to is :::you have no idea how your experience is going to be until you are living it, so in the meantime they need to know all the different things that COULD happen.
Justlike that poster who mentioned something about she got a bar placed in her bathroom because of what she had read. There is nothing wrong with what she did, luckily for her she didn't have that experience, but if she was going to, she was prepared....the sisters have to be prepared and open to all of what could happen, not just tell them, oh you will be just fine and up and back to normal in a few weeks. The need to know there could be pain to better prepare themselves.
Unread 12-26-2004, 08:26 PM
All this talk about pain

I don't want to send this thread down another tangent, but I've felt pretty darn good the whole time and never intended it to come across as bragging either. If anything, I wanted to give others hope that they COULD have as smooth a recovery as I have had. I came home from my TAH taking nothing more than 600mg of Motrin every 6 hours. The pain was nothing like I expected. I could do much more than I expected and no, I was not overdoing it so please don't tell me to "be careful". I think Kathy made a very important point:

Quote:
you need to look at it in the context of your health, your age, your experiences
After what I had read on this site, I felt like I was the odd woman out because everything went so smoothly. I even asked my doctor if a smooth recovery is unusual and he said it's not. And I'm in no way trivializing the ongoing pain and issues suffered by other women. I don't doubt for a second they 100% genuine and I feel badly for these women. We also need to keep in mind that those having smooth recoveries are probably not on this site as often which, in some ways, is doing a disservice to the pre-op gals.

So.... after all that rambling, count me in the column of, "it wasn't nearly as painful as I expected."

Best wishes to ALL -
Lisa
Unread 12-26-2004, 09:30 PM
pain

The pain for me was very manageable. First several days the worst was getting in bed. Getting comfortable was awful. I screamed and cried. I also screamed while getting out of bed. The thing is the abdominal muscles. In bed they are what you need. No way around it. After about 5 nights things got better.

Really other than the "bed thing", I didn't have much pain. When I was up and about I had discomfort but nothing I couldn't handle.

I am 6 weeks post op and feeling fine. I am still babying myself though.
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:14 PM
All this talk about pain

I had a TAH on Dec. 9th. I was able to leave the hospital the following day. I am now in my 3rd week post-op and doing fine. During the first week, I was very sore both inside and out. My incision area felt like a ton of bricks was sitting on it at times. The pain was bearable for me. I am not a tough person who handles pain very well at all. We all are at different stages in our lives and our bodies are all different, so our level of pain is also going to be different. TO all those waiting to have surgery, the best advice for you is to place your worries in the hands of someone greater than you and face your surgery with a positive attitude. Good luck to all the pre-op ladies!
kinderkat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register