roll of fat where your incision is???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

roll of fat where your incision is???? roll of fat where your incision is????

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:15 PM
roll of fat where your incision is????

Hi all, this is now my second post, so look out! I had my surgery on the 21st, all is well. I am overweight and my tummy fat rolls over and the fold is right where my incision is. I try to air it out, "going commando" like the other thread!) at night, etc. My incision is doing well, but I can't see it and so I'm wondering what others do or don't do.
Thanks,
Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:23 PM

Okay...I'll admit it. My tummy was already saggy too

So here's the deal I check my incision twice a day. My bathroom vanity is about the right height. I have a mirror. The kind on a swivel stand. Magnifyer on one side... .. nobody needs that.. Normal view on the other.

I lay the mirror on the edge of the vanity. And then I can move my swelly belly around and check it from all angles.

I'm sure you could figure out something just as creative. A mirror on a chair? The edge of the tub?

I've not worried about any airing out. I just dry it well after the shower and make sure that it stays dry.
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:26 PM

I too am in the same predicament- I can't see mine and I don't have a mirror either. I shower pat dry and put guaze under to keep from sweating there. (LOL) Glad to heear your doing fine other wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi there!

We had surgery on the same date! I am also overweight so the roll of fat hangs a little on the incision. I pull it up and have my husband look at it to make sure all is okay. I also can see it in the mirror that way as well.

I am using the hair dryer on the "no heat" level to dry out the entire area after showering. It is amazing how much the towel misses. I am wearing underwear - it helps me feel like it is supported.

Anyway, how did yours go? My surgery went great. Removed some endo and more adhesions. Procedure took 1 1/2 hours but I was in recovery for 3 hours! They couldn't find anything to control the pain....heart rate and blood pressure was way up. They said later that I had built up a tolerance to narcotics due to the Lortabs I was taking pre-surgery. This was the most painful thing I have ever encountered in my life. The hospital-stay-story isn't any better. Had witchy-nurses that didn't care if you were comfortable or not. They made me feel like I was too demanding which is a new feeling for me.

Anyway, I pulled a muscle getting into my SUV on the way home Friday. The pain has increased steadily to the point where I am avoiding the toilet because of the pain it causes lowering/raising myself. It is a very SHARP, TUGGING, EXCRUCIATING pain that makes me cry like a baby! I finally broke down and called the doctor about an hour ago. (Mine is on vacation for the next week so I called his partner) I had to get past the answering service first, which was fun. I hated calling him on xmas weekend but I hate being in so much pain even more. I have been using an icepack on my vagina. :burning: He wants me to come in to the office in the morning and check me out. Said he would use a heating pad instead. Just talking to a doctor made me feel sooooo much better. He said it sounds muscular and not liked a pulled sticth. He asked me if I had any previous surgeries. I told him two C-sections and a lap. He said when all that scar tissue is removed, it becomes really sore when they stitch everything to the abdominal wall. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, sorry this got so lengthy. I had spent hours seaching past posts for a similar problem this early in post-op and most people had the sharp tugging two or three weeks out. I thought by posting this I could help someone else.

Was yours the worst xmas ever? It was just me and the dog while my family was at my mother's house.
:cry:

Wishing you all the best and at least we are on the other side of surgery! Take care.
Unread 12-26-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shay716
I shower pat dry and put guaze under to keep from sweating there. (LOL)
This is a very good idea because all that moisture under that roll ( I have one too) can cause a yeast infection on your skin...trust me, I found out the hard way...that isno fun especially if the yeast infection runs over your incision likeone of mine did. The good thing about the rolll---you don't need tape or anything to hold the gauze in place
Unread 12-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Another Roll!

I'm new here and I just can't tell you how relieved I am to find you guys! You have helped me alot in the last 45 minutes that I have been reading your posts! I also have the fat roll over my incision and I was just talking to my husband earlier about it. It was getting me all depressed because I kept thinking I was going to get an infection.
I had my surgery on the 2nd of Dec. Had my uterus & ovaries plus 2 cysts removed. The doc said I had so much scar tissue from the endometriosis that it looked like someone had poured a can of glue inside of me it was very attached to my wall in my pelviuc area and they had their work cut out for them. The surgery took 3 hrs instead of the 1-1/2 that they thought it would. I'm doing okay... It only hurts when I walk too much or stand too long. I also still get alot of gas after I eat and I feel so bloated.
Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to let you all a little about myself.
Thanks again for all of your posts! I also liked the "smelly belly"
that made me laugh (even though it hurt it was worth it)
Unread 12-27-2004, 12:45 AM

Gosh I'm so glad someone brought this subject up! I too have that love roll. I had vertical incision so I can see half of mine and the other half I have to get a mirror. The whole thing is so frustrating but the hair dryer is an excellent idea!
Unread 12-27-2004, 01:33 AM

Whew! Yet again I see that I'm not the only one.

Now that I have a "one-eyed smiley face," I've noticed that my tummy is now a different shape, too. It starts puffing out right at the incision more than it used to. I just figured that I would start doing sit-ups in a few months. But that's just going to have to wait because my recovery has been going very well and I'm not going to mess it up by forcing the abs to do too much too soon.

It would be nice to hear a long-time princess and her experience with this and what she did about it (hint hint hint).
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:02 AM

I am almost 8 months post op now and still have that fat roll and can't see my incision. I have lost 50 pounds this year and can't seem to get that roll to disappear.I am not too overweight anymore. I honestly think I need a tummy tuck!! It kept my open incision from healing very quick. Not much air could get to it, especially since I had to pack and cover the incision.
So you ladies are not alone. My dr. said it would go down, but I think this is it for me!! LOL

Have a good day
Peggy
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:31 AM

Even though i had a vertical inscision...it goes way down there. To keep from gettin too moist under there i stored a kotex pad....Yes my belly held it there....just leave the backing on the tape....because it has a dry weave top the moister went into the pad and did keep me dry and healing well Down THere! lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register