Anybody Packing??? (the Incision??) I really need help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody Packing??? (the Incision??) I really need help! Anybody Packing??? (the Incision??) I really need help!

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Anybody Packing??? (the Incision??) I really need help!

Its been almost a week since i had the staples removed....once the staples came out so did my incision. I have a gaping wound about 3 inches long and about 3 inches deep. My mother and husband have been Packing this 2 times a day just like the dr said to do . It is healing but the problem is ....one side is about half an inch higher than the other...they say there is no way its going to close even. I dont go back to the dr for 3 days yet. They wont let me see it because its so bad. but the look on their faces tell all. Has anyone had this problem??? was it fixed???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:25 PM

Im sorry, I havent but I would call dr in morning and demand that someone see you. That will make you feel alot better. The worst thing you can do during your recovery is worry and ponder on things. Just go in and find out...I promise it will make you feel alot better and your recovery process a little more speedy!! Lori
Unread 12-26-2004, 06:33 PM

I've not had this problem but one of the members was just posting about it over the last couple of days so you may want to do a search for that post and contact her. She has been doing the packing all by herself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:33 PM

Hi and don't worry. I thought the same thing. I had my TAH May 7th. I had a hematoma and most of the staples had to be removed my first day home. My dr. had a home nurse come to my house. He wanted it cleaned and packed twice a day. My insurance would only pay for it once a day, so I had to do the evening duty. At first it seemed gross, but I got used to it. At two weeks I asked my dr. if I could get rid of the home nurses. He said yes.
I cleaned and packed it for a total of 5 weeks, then just cleaned and covered it until healed 5 more weeks. It took longer than my dr. thought it would.
I thought it would remain ugly too, but it actually looks quite good. The middle section is almost white now. The rest of it is looking better all the time. The wound has to heal from the inside out. It will take a while, but before long it will look good. Believe me, I understand how you feel. It only gets better from here.

Good luck and hang in there!
Peggy
Unread 12-26-2004, 07:36 PM

My surgery was in March of this year, I too had an incision that opened up, however by wound was much longer and deeper than the discription you gave of yours. It took some time for it to close and yes one side was healing faster than the other. It all came together in time. Patience is the answer here. Also eat foods that promote healing, I was told by my doctor and home health nusee that protien rich foods help with healing.
Unread 12-28-2004, 06:47 AM

Yup mine was exactly like that - only bigger.
My consultant's plan was to let it heal almost fully then take me back to surgury to stitch it level so I would have an even scar.
I get to escape that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over the past approx 7 weeks it has gradually even itself out so that even my consultant doesn't want to bother with the final stitching anymore!
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Me Too

had my sugery the same day as you and had my staples removed a week ago and my incision opened all the way. I have had a nurse coming in everyday to change and packit. It really is hurting !! the tape alone kills every time they rip it off my skin. I feel great except for this incision and the fact that I am going to need more surgery in a week to remove my ovarvies. I hope you get somone to help you pack it.
Unread 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Packing your incision

Hi...I had my hysterectomy on 12/16 and am doing well. But..last year I had to pack under my arm after my incision failed to stay closed after a lymph node removal. It was about the same size...it took a FULL 8 weeks of packing it until it healed from the inside out. It seems like forever...but it isn't!
Unread 12-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Anybody Packing???

I too had an open wound following my surgery in June 2004. My wound was about the same size. I also had a problem initially with the way it was healing. However, when it healed, it did come together fine and not with a "ledge" as they had thought. I would not worry until it has healed as to the point you no longer can pack it.

Ferrellba

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register