now what | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-27-2004, 11:29 AM
now what

Okay, I have determined that I have a rectocele, I can feel the bulge in my vagina and in the perianal area and it gets harder and harder to evacuate.
I am going through major situation right now and can't get it out, I have tried pushing on the bulge etc.
What can you do to get the darned thing out...I am in a lot of painand feel like I am sitting on a ball.

Any help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 01:22 PM
now what

I believe a rectocele is a weakness in your vaginal wall that allows your colon to bulge into your vagina. The lump you are probably feeling then would be stool that is hung in there. I have heard of some success by splinting. I'm not a medical professional so won't attempt to explain that here. You might do a search for it here.

You really should call a doctor or doctor's staff. You don't want to make things worse by straining. Perhaps some OTC stool softener like colace would be in order. Ask your doctor!!
Unread 12-27-2004, 02:11 PM
now what

Oh ((((Marian))) I'm so sorry you're in such discomfort right now

I had a Stage 3 rectocele repaired at the time of my hyst and remember only too well the frustration, and discomfort, of having to go and simply to being able to

As (((Michelle))) mentionned, splinting does help: it involves reaching in the vagina and "helping" the bowel movement along by "pushing" it back into it's right place (I do appologize for the graphics.. but can't think of a better way to explain this ) And do give your doctor a call if you can't resolve this situation: you really do not want to end up with a bowel obstruction!!!

In order to avoid such situations, until the rectocele is repaired, you may want to ensure that you keep your bowels as regular as possible. This means eating enough fibers, drinking plenty of water (preferably a room temperature since cold water can shock your system) and walking in order to prevent your system for becoming sluggish.

Sending tons of s your way. Please be sure to keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 04:43 PM
now what

OMG, I thought I was going to die! I have had problems since starting on my meds, but nothing like this. I bet I have had this problem for a while, cause before I was put on my meds, I had very loose, very fruquent stool, like I couldn't leave the resteraunt without going, so it never got a chance to hang in there, but now that things are slowed down...wow. I have read about rectoceles here but never would have thought I had one.
I called my mom and she said that she has one and so does my grandmother (who has had hers since her hyst 30 yrs ago). I know now that I need to increase my fiber...Ialways drink water and I take a stool softener twice aday. It had been 3 days since I had gone, so it was very hard. I screamed in the bathroom while it was coming and my DD ran in there and asked if I was okay..poor thing...it was weird though, it was like my upper abd spasmed or someting because it sucked itself in and forced things down..it was very strange and hurt a lot. OMG I hope I don't have to go through that again. Thank you both so much for the replies.
Unread 12-27-2004, 04:45 PM
now what

Quote:
Originally posted by Dany
it involves reaching in the vagina and "helping" the bowel movement along by "pushing" it back into it's right place (I do appologize for the graphics.. but can't think of a better way to explain this )
I tried this but the stool was so hard, it wouldn't budge.
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:12 PM
now what

Marian,

I am so sorry you are having complications. I'm sending some extra s your way.

Please give your doctor a call.
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:49 PM
now what

Oh ((((Marian)))) That did sound like a very traumatic experience I'm so sorry you had to live through this I do hope that, from now, thinks get easier for you.

PS: do try and avoid constipation, as that can cause serious problems with the rectocele. Tons of s are going your way.
Unread 12-27-2004, 07:35 PM
now what

Hi Marian
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know it can be quite painful when you get impacted.
Just take it easier (if you can) for a bit, and know your sisters are here when you need us.

s

Essie
Unread 12-27-2004, 07:46 PM
now what

OMG...girl you have gone thru enough for 20 women! I am sorry to hear of your pain. Now listen to your own best advice and call that DR! And please do listen to all the sisters great advice that have this complication. No more complications for you! Prayers your way.
Unread 12-27-2004, 08:46 PM
now what

Hi Mariam
I know exactly how you feel. I am going through the same thing as you. My gyn came back from vacation today and he saw my note. His receptionist called me today and said he still hasn't received the defecogram results from the colon rectal dr. He wants me to call her and have the report sent to him. He needs to look at it so he will know what needs to be done. The defecogram test showed I have a moderate rectocele and a enterocele. Talking about having a hard time going!! wwwoooowwww!OUCH.
Please call your dr. He/she can help you.
I had to use my fingers in my vagina tonight in order to empty my bowels. I got kind of scared, because there was blood on my fingers. I don't know what happened. Be careful! It does offer relief however. I didn't think it would ever come down to this for me, but it has.
I have strained alot and my rectocele has became larger.My abdoman is now very sore with alot of pulling around my incision area. Not good news. I am probably heading for surgery. Will know more this week.
Good idea to increase your fiber and fluid intake. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register