herpes?! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
herpes?!

I'm glad I read this thread. I had chicken pox when I was very little. Over the years, I have broken out in shingles on my abdomen quite a few times. They are very painful red spots. I had no idea they were contagious to people who have not had chicken pox!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 03:32 AM
herpes?!

sympathies! had similar experience 2 years ago - was really ill for a week with high fever and countless sores all over genital area frnot and back and inside- incredibly painful - only way I could bare to wee was to do so in a bath! as for BM's - reduced me to sobs. Was alos emotionally devastated until I understood the way the virus operates better. Took about 3 baths a day with salt in them - helped the healing process speed up. dr.also gave me a tricyclic anti-depressant - sounds odd but the way it wokrs it suppresses the nerve pain and did help - name escapes me justnow but can find out if anyone wants - and also gave me a load of anti-viral pills to take high dose off straigh away and to keep so that if I ever thought another attack was coming on I could take them straight away in high dose as it does help to fend it off, and at least reduce severity of attack. It was horrific esp as I was being bridesmaid that weekend to one of my best friends! morning of wedding i still had to have my bottom half in water to be able to wee without tears!
however good news is that I have only had one teeny weeny recurrence - 2 or w sores and took the a - v's immediatley , salty baths etc and it was only a minor inconvenience.
it was no co-incidence that it happened at a time when I had been majorly stressed and was utterly exhausted.....could have been lying dormant for years from any of the ( few!) sexual contacts of my younger years...... its a nasty little beast.
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:48 AM
herpes?!

celticchick... I'm SO relieved to see you say you take the high dose of the antiviral (I have had great results with Acyclovir...aka Zovirax). I was afraid to mention it for fear of "dispensing medical advice".

My DH is a pharmacist as well as an MD. He's the one who had me take 2-3 Acyclovir at the very first tingle, then another 2-3 later in the day. It never EVER erupts further than the tingle or the occassional red spot that doesn't blister. I only get them on my mouth, but for the virus it won't know the difference. There is only one time this didn't work for me, and that is when I didn't have my stash of Acyclovir with me on a vacation. Got a full blown blister even though I did the multi-dose right away when we got home...it had been too far past the first signs. It's gotta be at the first sign of tingling.

For what it's worth, Acyclovir is an extremely mild drug, so boosting the drug for the first couple doses will not chance you for OD (but you should still verify this with your own docs). I have beginning stages of kidney failure, so there is very little out there that I can take safely, and even DH recommends this one for me like this. I highly suggest it. Look into it with your doc/pharmacist..... it is SO much better than the discomfort of the herpes.

I have no experience with the salt baths myself... but I remember my mom used to have me gargle with salt water for canker sores, so why not?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register