14 days post op checkup | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days post op checkup 14 days post op checkup

Unread 12-27-2004, 03:15 PM
14 days post op checkup

I am writing this in hopes it helps someone else as well... I'll be open and detailed as much as possible. But this is not advice, it's my experience. Your mileage may vary

Well I was really nervous about having the internal exam 14 days post op. This was my first experience with surgery, period. I was a total nervous wreck prior to surgery, and things turned out very well, so I don't know why I was upset to go back today. Just natural I suppose. My blood pressure was high today (145/90 instead of my normal 90/70). So my nervousness was not well hidden.

The internal exam was only mildly uncomfortable which was mostly because I was tense. I am having slight discharge, slight odor, nightmares and some emotional feelings of loss, insomnia, and swelly belly that all were considered normal for this time in the healing stage. The doctor swabbed the vaginal area and noted the type of pinkish, watery, even a tad yellowish discharge as normal. Then he did a check with the two finger deal to see if the vaginal cuff was tender (not too bad) and healing. He said there are 4 large sutures that he will remove at the 6 week checkup, and that should not be painful. The other stitches have already mostly dissolved.

I was a bit surprised to find out that over an inch of my vaginal length is gone. I am concerned that my husband and I will have difficulty in resuming our sexual life. The doctor was very open with me, that the possibility is true, but that in time, I will lengthen to accomodate my partner. We will just have to take it easy and slow for awhile as I stretch. No deep penetration until I can handle it. Without the cervix, it is possible for my husband to hit the bowel and cause pain so he will be gentle. Poor man, we have not had relations for months prior to surgery because I had chronic infections and yeast, disgusting discharge, bleeding, odor, and pain... and so on and so on......you get the drift.

I am sure on our first reintroduction to sex I will have high blood pressure again ........ I'm already nervous about how it will feel and it's going to be at least another 4 weeks away! (possibly more if I don't heal well between now and then) eee-gads!
I also admit, I drove myself to the doctor, 1/2 hour drive one way, without pain medications and it was a bit too much. I stopped at Walmart for refill on a prescription for my son, picked up a few groceries, went to the bank and post office, picked up a meal that a friend prepared for me, and now I am totally exhausted. I took a small nap when I got home, and the kids put the groceries away.

This was my first "big"day since leaving the hospital but I can say overall things went well.

So ladies, and gentlemen if applicable, please if you have had a similar situation and have any suggestions I would be so glad to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 04:09 PM
14 days post op checkup

Thanks for the info. My post-op appointment is the Wed. the 29th. I had TAH/BSO 12-10-04. Also my 1st experience with any kind of surgery. So they check you vaginally, huh? I have no clue what to expect at this appointment.

Glad yours wasn't bad. Maybe I won't be so nervous, huh?

Sue
Unread 12-27-2004, 04:14 PM
14 days post op checkup

I had my post-op today and when she did the internal I did not have the uncomfortable pressure I had become used to. I told her and she gave a little laugh that things were different in there now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 04:25 PM
14 days post op checkup

wow I am surprised they were able to do a TVH with a uterus that large!

my DR said they wait 6 wks to do a vaginal check up, said they need to wait until after the vag cuff is healed, so I don't go in until end of Jan
Unread 12-27-2004, 04:44 PM
14 days post op checkup

Quote:
Originally posted by levettegrl
wow I am surprised they were able to do a TVH with a uterus that large!

my DR said they wait 6 wks to do a vaginal check up, said they need to wait until after the vag cuff is healed, so I don't go in until end of Jan
We were not expecting it to be that large........ he did not want to do TAH if at all possible, so he had an assistant there with him the whole time. They did have trouble getting it out, and I was sore from being stretched in order to "deliver" this thing. But everything went fine other than that.
Unread 12-27-2004, 04:51 PM
14 days post op checkup

you are so lucky! I had an enlarged uterus and large fibroids, so he went with the TAH, which obviously is making my recovery longer. but he did also say that he would have a hard time vaginally since I have never had kids

best to you
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:06 PM
14 days post op checkup

Quote:
Originally posted by levettegrl
you are so lucky! I had an enlarged uterus and large fibroids, so he went with the TAH, which obviously is making my recovery longer. but he did also say that he would have a hard time vaginally since I have never had kids

best to you
I have had two large headed children (last one had a 13cm head, and I dialated to 10cm ..ouchy ooooo I tore soooo bad), and I'm very wide hipped...... guess big hips are good for something!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Big to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register