Stubborn granulation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stubborn granulation Stubborn granulation

Unread 12-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Stubborn granulation

Hi there

I went back to the doctor on thursday to see if the silver nitrate worked. It didn't.

We talked about what the next step would be and she was going to look into having the laser surgery done. She did another small treatment of silver nitrate and said she would be in touch in a few days.

She called tonight and said she wants her colleague to look at it, as her colleague has dealt with stubborn granulation before, and instead of the laser (not sure how deep the granulation is and don't want to possibly hurt anything if the granulation goes through the cuff) the plan will be to cut the granulated tissue off in the OR using light sedation. She decided to skip the cryosurgery.

So I am to call and set up an appointment tomorrow for next week and we will go from there.

Please pray for me and wish me luck.

Happy New Year to all my sisters!!

Essie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 05:57 PM
HI

Hi there,
Although I had granulation show at 3 months post-op, (only knew it because i was spotting) one treatment did the trick for me. I just wanted to wish you luck with this. It's always something, isn't it!!! This road can be a tough one. Where is the exit ramp, I want off!!!!! Let us know how you make out. Good Luck.
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Stubborn granulation

Oh Essie,

I will certainlypray for you as always. I hope this all works out for you
Please let us know how the appt goes next week ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Stubborn granulation

Thank you Whatsnormal and Marian

I made my appointment for next thursday, so I will keep you posted.

Never would I have thought that years later I would be on this road. I had complications(hemorhaging, 2 units of blood transfused, hematoma, and cellulitis which prompted a return visit to the castle for 10 days within 2 weeks of the hyst) initially, but thought it was all behind me. Just another bump in the road I guess.

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and wish everyone a happy safe and healthy new year!!!

s

Essie
Unread 01-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Stubborn granulation

I hope all went well for you. I am in just about the same situation. Hysterectomy (ovarian cyst) Feb 2001. Started spotting in Sept 2004. 2 silver nitrate treatments, no resolution. I go in on 1/19 for sedation, visualization, possibly laser, possibly other type of excision, possibly conversion to laproscopy/surg. I am so glad you shared your situation. This certainly is a road "less traveled" that we are on!
Unread 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Stubborn granulation

Hi guys.

I'm in the same spot (pun intended) too. I've had spotting since my hyst in 11/03 (kept cervix and ovaries). My last appointment (1/05) the doc said it definitely was cyclic; probably due to some "nominal" amount of uterine tissue remianing, which was responding hormonally to my ovaries. I've already had 4 silver nitrate procedures, and they didn't help.

However, she said the only way to stop this was to either slice me open again to get whatever remaining tissue was left in there; or they could try to lapascopically get it, but that would risk perforation to the bowel or intestines. So, it would either be a long recovery again, or risk hurting something else. She still is reluctant to remove the cervix (and I don't want it removed anyway because I still think it's better for sex), because she says it's holding everything up.

I hadn't heard of a laser surgery. What's that about?

Hope you're doing better. It's frustrating to have this happen after all we already went through, huh?

Take care, all.
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Stubborn granulation

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
We havent done the excision of the granulated tissue yet, because I ended up in the ER with what we thought to be an ovarian cyst on my right ovary(pain wasn't being controlled by percoset and US showed a 3.1 cm cyst on the ovary).
The plan was that my Dr.'s colleague(my Dr.s day off) would do a laparascopic RSO, and said while we were there she would excise the rest of the granulated tissue also.(She was the same Dr. who had taken the looksee the day before with my Dr. so she knew what was goingon with me).
When she got in there, she had to change to a laparotomy because everything was stuck together and attached to the right abdomen wall and the vaginal cuff. I also had a prolapsed fallopian tube. She didn't get a chance to excise the granulated tissue, but said that some of it was the prolapsed tube.
I have an appointment on tuesday (was originally scheduled before the RSO) and we will go from there.
Hope that everyone is doing well.
Essie
Unread 02-01-2005, 10:27 PM
followup

My follow up (so far). Had a procedure under sedation on Jan 19th. Doc excised an area of tissue protruding into the vagina in the cuff area (cervix gone w/hysterectomy). Biopsy result: endometriosis. Laid a flap to cover excision bed. Doc said it looked like the uterosacral ligament attachment, I think. Easy recovery as was all done vaginally. Now it is wait and see. Post op will be at the 6 week point. If bleeding/spotting returns, may go in abdominally and remove the uterosacral ligament (assumption will be that the endometriosis arises from there). No spotting until today...darn. But it is light -just noticable on toilet tissue wipe. Maybe, I tell myself, it is related to the sloughing in the area of the flap that Doc predicted for the 3 week point (but a week early). Maybe a suture releasing/dissolving. We'll see how it goes.

It makes sense that it was endometriosis...my vaginal spotting was not heavy pre-op, but it reminded me so much of menses. I had assumed that this was my mental interpretation as a result of experience/memory of years of periods. I swore, as the spotting increased over the months, it had the faint odor of menstrual fluid -- so I guess I wasn't imagining it. Good luck to all
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:33 AM
GOOD NEWS!!!!

The granulated tissue is GONE!!!!!!Yippeee!!!!!
I went to the doctor yesterday. She did the usual looksee and the granulated tissue isn't there. We summised that it must have been the fallopian tube irritating the area. There is a skin tag, but it isn't granulated tissue, so we are not doing anything to it.
I have been seeing my gyn since Oct. every one to two weeks, so even she said it's going to be wierd not seeing me so often(she just had started working at that office when I started going there too). I joked with her and asked her if she wanted me to call every 2 weeks so we didn't have withdrawals. Unless I have problems, I don't have to go back until Oct. for my yearly exam.
I start back to work on monday (light duty for 2 weeks), and am looking forward to it, even though I know the first few weeks will be tiring.
I still haven't driven yet. I have a 4wd minivan and it is hard to climb up in it, and I still can't turn to look over my shoulder without having a bad pulling sensation in my tummy.
My son, who has been driving the van, said now I don't have anything to drive but I told him he may drive it longer until I feel like driving. Maybe by then we will have his car on the road.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Essie
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Stubborn granulation

Glad to hear you guys are doing better now -- or at least figuring out what to do . . .

I'm on my "mini-period" right now and am still pretty disappointed in things (to say the least) but until I can figure out a less invasive way to fix things, I have no choice but to put up with it.

I'm SO much better than I was before the hsyt, though (which I have to keep reminding myself!).

Take care, all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register