Four Weekers are You Out There | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Four Weekers are You Out There Four Weekers are You Out There

Unread 12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Four Weekers are You Out There

I was just wondering how the rest of you are doing and if we are all progresing about the same. I find that I get Tired very easy, My incision itches and I am still having more discharge than I would have expected, some times it is a pale pink like there is a little bit of blood in it, and other times it is just a light yellow, what is really strange about all this is for the first 9 days there was nothing. it seems as if it just keeps coming, there no infection just fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 10:49 PM

teenytine,

We had surgery the same day! I think we are doing about the same. I to get tired very easy. I have started trying to do some light house work but I have to rest often. I am getting very lazy. I kinda like not haveing to do much.

I had some discharge the first couple of weeks but that had stoped then when I went for my 3 week post op visit the doc put some silver nitrate on my internal incision and that caused some spoting and cramping for a couple of days but that has stoped. I still have either a yellow discharge or strong urinary output. I think it may be urinary but not sure.

I had LAVH so I only had three abd incisions and they have all healed well. I itch where they shaved me, I'll be glad when that grows back.

I have gained 15lbs since surgery!!! I would like to get back to walking on my treadmill but the doc says not till 8 weeks post op!!

I am glad my recovery has been uneventful! I am going back to work next week 1/2 days! I dread that!!

Glad your doing ok!

Shelley
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:29 AM

Hi,
I was 4 weeks on Monday. Things are going well. Last week I felt I could get around with no problem. Just a little pressure. This week I feel a more inner bruising feeling and a pain on my right top side when up for long periods. Got right back into bed. My incision is healing well. Some days it is light in color....some days it's dark red. I planned on being back to work on the 3rd. I think I may need another week. All the best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 06:38 AM

I will be 4 weeks tomorrow. I feel great - no problems. Every once in a while I get a twinge or pull on my insides. I had a TAH that started out as a LAVH, so I have both four little incisions in my stomach and a 6 inch bikini cut. I have had no discharge. My recovery has been uneventful, although I get tired easily, too.

Do you take naps or rest during the day? Once in a while I do.

I think in some ways weeks 3-4 have been harder than the 1st two weeks. The first weeks I was just happy to be functioning and each day I felt some improvement. Then after that my expectations were higher and the every day improvement has slowed down. Now its frustrating not to be able to do everything! (Well, I don't miss the household chores!)

My doctor said I could walk on the treadmill at a pace similar to walking through the mall - no speed walking - but I haven't done it yet because if I get tired out without it, I figure I'll really be overdoing it if I start treadmill walking, too.

I will be returning to work 1/2 days next week. (Actually I'll be working from home).
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:29 AM

I'm doing OK. But I'm sick of the pink discharge--although I prefer it to the bright red bleeding that sent me back to the dr. last week. I wanna burn the pads and panty liners! And I'm SO tired! I have another appointment with my doctor later this morning, so hopefully she'll be reassuring. I do feel a little better every day pain-wise (I'm down to one ibuprofen @4 hrs), although I still feel like I'm bruised on the inside and my guts are pressuring my incision like they wanna explode out!!! Some days it's 2 steps forward then one step back, but that's to be expected.

It IS kinda nice having an excuse for being lazy...!
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:38 AM

I too am at 4 weeks today, and woke up feeling pretty good after one of the first decent nights sleep. I can finally lie on my side a bit, and I think that has helped. Getting 3-4 hours of sleep at a time is a big thing now I guess, feel more rested and less swollen today than in the past few weeks.

I came home for the first week with a catheter due to bladder being stuck to my uterus and damage during the surgery, and had brown discharge that week. Since the catheter is out, I've had no discharge, haven't seen any stitches either. I agree the first 2 weeks seemed better than the last 2, also because of more changes daily and probably the drugs. Week 3 and 4 were discouraging, didn't see daily progress, often backslid without doing much. I am now in a mode of looking at weekly progress, not daily and it's helping.

I have only driven myself once, not far, but it hurt alot to break. Since then we've had constant snow and I don't want to chance the driving. I've been a passenger a few times, and it's much better. Doing more around the house, and going on the treadmill 2 times a day and a slow 2.0 pace, seems to be okay and makes me feel less of a blob. Haven't checked the scale, but my belly swells so much at the end of the day, it worries me. I haven't eaten much as it hurts when my belly gets full, but no activity is taking it's toll. Bit discouraging since I had lost weight, excercised daily and was in pretty good shape prior to my surgery. Oh well, guess I can get back there again eventually, hate how hard it is to develop, and how quickly the tone can disappear.

I have tried to set up some projects to help with the boredom, and am doing many of those pesky organizing things I say I'll get to and don't. Magazines, photos, files, boxes, etc. clothing closets was too much for me yet. And back to reading which I forgot how much I loved, watching movies and tv that is less mindless (thought I'd go nuts the first couple weeks just staring) now I'm being more discriminating and finding some pretty decent shows like book tv, etc.

Learning alot about my friends and family, and who can and will support, comfort, share and spend some quiet time with me. Finding lots about those who are impatient with my progress, angry about my lack in holiday participations, and anxious for me to go back to helping and supporting them. I try not to get angry myself, and use this as a time to re-evaluate some very one sided, very draining relationships in my life.

So overall, after this long post, I'd say I'm doing well. Pain is tolerable, but still always there, incision is doing well, swelling is more than I expected but I learned from this site not to worry about that. I truly expectd much worse and was terrified of this surgery, now after 4 weeks, I can see it just getting better and better. I truly can not thank you ladies enough for the support, smiles, hand holding and knowledge you have shared with me. The constant for a few weeks before my surgery and every day after has been checking this site, and often silently getting the support, info and courage I needed to get through another day of healing. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, Ellen
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:45 AM

I am doing good and feel ok but have had discharge that is yellow and is bothersome. I feel like I am on track but I had a TAH and the scar sometimes is still bothersome. My dr told me to get some flexees underwear for support. I wore some yesterday and thought I was going to suffocate! My energy level seems back to almost normal, no naps during the day and I'm not sleeping 10 hours at night anymore. Christmas was a bit hard as we traveled and of course I tried to do a lot, but backed off at the last minute and decided not to get too stressed and it was a better day for me
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:58 AM

i will be 4 weeks on thursday......and basically i am feeling pretty good......my incision is starting to hurt a bit.. but on the inside.. i am healing i guess.....the golden discharge has all but stopped.. THANK GOD.....i was tired of pads and liners tooooo .... thought i would be getting rid of those.. along with my tampons !!! My energy level gets better everyday...im going to start walking slowly on the treadmill.....there's snow outside.. and it's too cold...my problems are insomnia...and frequent urination at nite....i dont think i sleep more than 2 hrs at a time....some nites i am up for an hour.. playing solitaire here on the puter......and i don't nap during the day......i'm not taking any pain meds.....i just started on premarin 0.3 mg every day.....for wicked mood swings and flashes......i'm feeling more like " me " already !!

is anyone else having to get up alot at nite for the bathroom ? i go back to work in a little over 2 weeks.. i'm a nurse and work 12 hour shifts....and i can only go back to full duty... no half shifts or part- time allowed......so this week i am trying to build up my endurance......i'm doing more around the house.....with rest periods ....and seeing how much my body can take....
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:09 AM

Good morning sisters,

Wanted to add my on the yellow discharge. My dr told me the yellow is dissolving stitches. It only lasted about a week for me, so maybe you are almost through it.

Have a great day, Rita
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Hi, I am just a bit ahead of you, TVH inc. posterior vag. repair and TVT on November 25th; so coming up to five weeks

I am doing better than I did; rigorously doing my pelvic floor and abdominal exercises has helped a lot.

I managed to go for a 45 minute walk today, pushing my 20lb baby in a stroller, I was really pleased with myself, just being able to get out alone meant a lot to me.

I still have a nasty pink/brown vaginal discharge, and the doc. took a swab last week in case I have an infection, but with it being the holidays, I haven't heard.

I also had a killer UTI the other week, but that cleared up with antibiotics.

Hang in there, I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register