5 weekers - what housework is ok?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weekers - what housework is ok?? 5 weekers - what housework is ok??

Unread 12-28-2004, 04:12 PM
5 weekers - what housework is ok??

Hi my fellow five weekers. I have a question about the house hold chores. Up until now I have had an acute post op cleaner (funded through the hospital) doing my weekly cleaning...vacuuming, dusting, bathroom , mopping etc. However my entitlement finished christmas eve so now I am on my own with this again. I was wondering what you are now doing or what is okay to do? I return to my full time job on 10 January and am wondering whether it would be better to get another cleaner in than to try and be superwoman again so soon.

I am a single mum of two teenagers who have been very helpful, but they are away spending the holidays (our summer break) with their father so I dont have them here to help me at the moment, then they will be back in school/work.

This week I started to do more chores, I am now doing my own washing and I actually hung some outside this week (its summer here) but then it has rained buckets so now I have to wash it again! I have swept each day ( I have a big tiled area) am back to doing the general tidying and dishes, making my bed, folding.
I'm still not confident that I could drag the vacuum cleaner, or that I should scrub the shower and toilet. But if that's okay I am happy to do it. What is your recommendation/experience?

I have been the perfect princess (in most areas lol) and do not want to hinder my recovery in anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 04:42 PM

Hi Angielau
I am now 6 1/2 weeks and after 5 weeks really could most things that I wanted to. My gyn/onc just said to be careful about lifting - nothing over about 10 lbs (5 kgs for us). Even though you are going back to work in Jan remember its not a crime if the house isn't as neat as you would choose it to be. Just progress slowly and well. Your body will tell you when you've had enough.

Good luck

Glenys
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:46 PM

Wow ! A house cleaner paid for by the hospital! Nothing like that in the U.S. !! You probably get to stay in hospital much longer than we do too. (sigh).

I'd ask the doctor about housework. By about 3 weeks post op (abdominal hyst) I did all housework except vacuming. I've never liked it so asked my husband to do it for several months! My only restriction from doctor was no heavy lifting, but I find pushing a vacumm cleaner to be a strain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 05:49 PM

Here are some articles you may find helpful:

Allowed? Not Allowed?

What is Light Housework?

s
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:52 PM

I'm in week six and my DR still has me on very light lifting. I do laundry but DH carries it upstairs. DR says no vacuuming (Yay!!!), carrying groceries, or moving furniture. I don't think I'm ready to try scrubbing floors or toilets - of course I am never ready to to do that - even when I'm healthy!

I am cooking, doing dishes, and dusting - all the light household duties.
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:22 AM

Hi Angie I am also at 4 weeks. I was told by my doc to keep the house work light. you probably shouldnt be lifting a laundry basket full clothes and no vacumming or mopping, light houskeeping only and lots of breaks in between. you only have one chance to heal correctly.
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:24 AM

I'm supposed to be doing bits and pieces around the place, but DH won't let me

I do get to do the washing up, but he does all the bending and putting away, the problem is I could so easyly get used to this

I never have had to do much H/W as I go out to work and my DH works from home, so he does a lot of stuff while I'm out.

So now I'm an over pampered princess, who has to push herself to even do the washing up

I'll get there, I'll get there.
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:09 AM

I am 5 weeks today and had my post op visit yesterday. The Dr removed ALL restrictions from me except repetitively lifting 75 pounds or more (okay....I couldn't lift 75 pounds once if my life depended on it! My DH got a kick out of that restriction!) I still won't haul large laundry baskets up the steps or vacuum because I have family to do it. But I COULD, I guess. I sure recommend a dirty house instead of torn insides! I wouldn't take a chance until YOU feel you are ready.
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:22 AM
do what is comfortable, methinks

I think doing what is comfortable for you is what I would do. I have a touchy back, so my DH does most of the vacuuming all the time, it just bothers my back if I do the whole house. I can do one room, but not an extended workout that way.

You are also starting back to work, and when I went back to work I came home and got off my feet for an hour or two everyday. I was just very tired, and I was exercising and walking and doing lots of stuff at 8 weeks. I think you would be wise to have someone else do the mopping, the bathrooms and the vacuuming at least for a few months until you see how working goes. Or just let it go for a while and concentrate on working all day, then taking it easy in the evening. Remember you still have to cook, do laundry, drive around, spend time with your kids. It all is a lot, you have had major surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register