Presacral Neurectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Presacral Neurectomy Presacral Neurectomy

Unread 12-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Presacral Neurectomy

I was just reading posts and responding when I thought about a procedure I had done almost a year ago, and wanted to ask about.

When I had my exploratory laparotomy in Jan 04, they lasered my endo, but also did a uterosacral ligament resection and a presacral neurectomy. The resection was just cutting off and removing the ligaments that hold up my uterus and restitching it (this was done because the endo had just completely swallowed up the ligaments and was causing problems).

The presacral neurectomy, which is the removal of your presacral nerve (the nerve that connects your brain to your uterus and your bladder), was done to "control my pain" which unfortunately, it did not.
I know it doesn't really matter now, because I've had my hysterectomy, but the PN (i'll just refer to it as this) is still affecting me and will forever. What I was told before the PN was done was that since it connects to your uterus, if you ever got pregnant, you wouldn't be able to feel your contractions. And in general, it affects your bladder in that you won't really know when you have to urinate. It was also told to me that the procedure is effective in only about 50% of cases, so it's a shot in the dark.
I don't know if it really affected my uterus at all, cause I've never been able to get pregnant, but it did and still does affect my bladder. I don't have that little "signal" or feeling that you get when you have to pee....you know what I mean? Instead, my bladder fills up, and I don't know it, and I know I have to pee when my stomach swells and hurts a little. Even though I've had my hyst, I (of course) still have my bladder and so will have this problem for the rest of my life.

I don't know what my point was in sharing this, but I wanted to let everyone know my experience with this, and just wondered if anyone else has had this done and if my experience is normal. It's not very common, to my knowledge.
Also, I wonder if it has anything to do with having numbness around my incisions (I have two overlapping six inch incision across my abdomen) for so long....

Any comments would be appreciated....thanks for letting me ramble. You guys have been great throughout all of this, and I appreciate the creators of this site and everyone who continues to make it possible--I don't know where I'd be without you girls.
Thanks,
Christina Leigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Presacral Neurectomy

Hi,

I have not had experience with PN and not sure if it has caused your numbness around stitches.

I do know that ladies that have had abdominal surgery do have numbness around stitches and that this is normal and has a lot to do with healing. It may take some time for it to go away or get better.

If you click on Search and put in numbness, you will see several threads on this.

I believe there is a thread about numbness here today in Post Op.

If you have any concerns please ask dr about the numbness since you have had PN.

I hope you feel better soon.

s
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Re: Presacral Neurectomy

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaLeigh
The presacral neurectomy, which is the removal of your presacral nerve (the nerve that connects your brain to your uterus and your bladder), was done to "control my pain" which unfortunately, it did not.
IIt was also told to me that the procedure is effective in only about 50% of cases, so it's a shot in the dark.
My last doc told me about this procedure and he also told me it has 50/50 success rate...I passed on it..the odds weren't good enough for me right now to have another surgery.
I was also afraid of the bladder and possibly bowel issues tht might come along with it as well.
I am sorry that it did not work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Presacral Neurectomy

I agree, the numbness is an effect of the hysterectomy and could stay with you for awhile.

I got my "signal" back the second week. I was really wanting it back because the only other message the brain was getting is what you said, the full stomach and ache feeling. I guess for you now, you'll have to visit the restroom every 2 hours just so you're not uncomfortable.

I didn't know there was such a procedure...Sounds like it was a total failure. I'm sure you've been to a urologist and there is nothing else to be done. I'm so sorry you have to put up this. Thanks for sharing your experience. The more we read, the more we learn and maybe you've helped someone else today.
Maralyn
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Presacral Neurectomy

I had a PN done. I wish I hadn't. My doctor at the time was not very forth coming (in fact I stopped seeing him because of whatI feel was faulty information) but had I known all it entailed and all, I would have never elected to have this done.

I already had bladder problems and having this done did not help the matter any. My Chiropractor gave me a huge lecture of disrupting/cuting nerves.

Yes, I was still plagued with pain after, so I caution others to give real thought to this procedure, and do alot of research ahead of time.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Presacral Neurectomy

I too had a PN with a lap 10/03. It did nothing in terms of pain. I felt better following the lap due to removal of endo, but it came back and brought some friends. Doc did not tell me that it would affect bladder at all and i still have to watch out as I also don't always get the "warning" to go.

If anything I have had worse back problems since the PN than i did before.

Would not do it again if i could reverse time
Unread 12-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Presacral Neurectomy

Thanks for starting this post. It has been very informative. It sounds like a good idea if that nerve is allowing you to feel pain, WOW, get rid of the nerve, get rid of the pain, so its good to know it probably will not work!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register