what if hyster didn't resolve the problem????Help me, sisters. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what if hyster didn't resolve the problem????Help me, sisters. what if hyster didn't resolve the problem????Help me, sisters.

Unread 12-29-2004, 01:22 PM
what if hyster didn't resolve the problem????Help me, sisters.

Hi ladies,
I am now exactly three months postop today. I have had some healing problems, but all in all, except for the problem I will describe, I think it was a decent experience.

For the year or so prior to my hyster, I had increasing cramping(severe cramping), as well as very heavy bleeding, anemia, clotting, etc. I also had stress urinary incontinence, which was fixed by a Burch suspension during my abdominal hyster. Pain during sex was unbearable. So, after different hormone trials, etc., my doc suggested abdominal hyster with bladder suspension. I am 29 years old and done having kids, so after some initial hesitation I went ahead and had it done. When the pathology report came back, I figured I'd done the right thing, with severe changes to my cervix (Explaining the painful sex) and adenomyosis.

However, here I am at three months, and I'm starting to feel the same cramping as I had before the surgery. I'm happy with the sex-not-hurting part, and the bladder suspension seem to have held, but I'm scared I'm right back where I started with the cramping. What else is there to explain such cramping? I still have my ovaries, but they are completely normal, and I'm not ready to part with them at 29 if I can get around it. I have had some increased urinary frequency and dysuria, so maybe that could be it (?)

Anyone have any ideas what else in the pelvis/abdomen that could cause cramping such as to require regular use of medicines, which is the original reason I had the surgery in the first place??? I have an appointment with my GYN next week and I'm just not even sure where to start with him.

I pray someone can help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM

That must be so frustrating! I would explain it to your doc just the way you did in your post. Sometimes drs. tend to brush things off, figuring that it's early in your recovery and it'll get better. Ask for his opinion, and follow up in a reasonable amount of time. If you don't feel you're getting the help you need, seek another doctor's opinion. Maybe the extensive work you had done is just taking a longer time to heal than you've expected. I wish the very best for you!
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:05 PM

I am sorry you are having these problems. There could be a few things that would cause the cramping , etc...adhesions, interstitial cystitis (bladder thing) cysts on the ovaries, but I am glad you are going to the doctor to have it all checked out. Just tell him what you told us and that you want some answers. I will send some prayers your way and please let us know how it goes with the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 08:15 PM
me too same problem

i had a total hysterectomy last february. i felt pretty good up until 3 weeks ago. i started geting the cramps and they are awlful and pain in my back. i had endrometrois and large fibroids and was anemic and still am. i take aleve for cramps but it dont help much. i had my ovaries out due to a cyst, never thought i would get cramps again. hope you feel better and hope thr dr can help. i know im calling my dr i cant stand it amymore....ladyk
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:33 PM

ladyk, please please let me know what your doctor says. Like you, I'm at a loss as to why this didn't take care of the problem. My focus before the surgery was just surviving the surgery...I'm not sure why I never thought of the possibility that it might not work for the pain, though it did help other areas. Even after the surgery, when pathology revealed apparent sources for all four of my major symptoms (adenomyosis explained the severe cramping and bleeding, cervicitis explained the painful sex, and my bladder neck was so out of whack that it explained the stress incontinence), I figured that was that. I had it done, I survived, life will start NOW, well, as soon as I was healed from the surgery, but the majority of the work was done. Maybe it is something simple...it probably is for both of us...but there's still that panic that this radical treatment didn't cure a very lifestyle-limiting problem for us....pain!!!

I'll keep you in my prayers as we seem to be walking in each other's shoes Keep me posted, okay?
Unread 12-30-2004, 10:45 PM
pain 6 months post op

i totally know how you feel i had a tvh in june was ok for about 3 months then started with the cramping,

i too had the hyst. cuz of pain ,cramps ,bleeding, and adenomyosis...s

so a few ultra sounds and cat-scans later alls they found was a cyst which i always get on my right ovary but daily it was getting worse

its been 6 months now and 3 weeks ago i had a laporoscopy and found out that i had endo on my bladder and adhesions, i always feel like im bloated and have to pee.......

so dr. lasered it off and guess what i am sitting here right now in bad pain i know if theres even a trace of endo it can spread all over and im sure im getting another cysts im wishing now i had my ovaries removed im only 27 and didnt want to give them up

endo feeds off of estrogen so my ovarys are probably doing me more harm than good

from all the treatments ive read ive gotten a better response from women who had it all out

i hope you dont have endo inside like i do i thought it was only adeno and the hys. would fix it

maybe you just need more rest but if the cramping continues and gets to be an everyday thing then it could be endo or adhesions and scare tissue...

good luck i hope you will be ok

im battling now to decide to get rid of the ovarys i think id rather have menopause than to suffer this pain everyday my whole lower abdomen and lower back is killing me and i have taken so many pain pills the last 2 years they dont even work anymore

tell your dr. and keep track if it gets worse you may need a lap
to see whats going on
Unread 12-31-2004, 07:09 AM

i had endrometrios it was stuck to my bowels and anything it could get stuck too she thought she got it all. i had my ovaries removed and i still get cramping and back pain . its very frustrating . i had severe bleeding and fibroid tumors and a cyst on my ovary thats why i had surgery. my bowels got pushed around and now its real fun going to the toilet. i will let you know when i go to the dr. you let me kow too. good luck...ladyk
Unread 12-31-2004, 07:18 AM
other possibilities

It could be the endo, or it could be adhesions from the surgery too. Some have had bladder infections, and others have had other medical issues after the hysterectomy.

I went back to the gyn at 5 months post op with some itching and cramping. I had a yeast infection, and bacterial vaginosis. Once the vaginosis was cleared up the cramping went away.

Not that that is what is wrong, but there are so many possiblities, plus at 3 months post op there is still a lot of healing left to do. Until you have been seen by the doctor, and everything has been thoroughly checked out, try not to panic.

Just for you to know that the Hystersister's will be here for you.

Unread 12-31-2004, 08:58 AM

I didn't have any endometriosis on either my lap or my hyster one year later. Thankfully. I'm only 29, so I too really wanted to keep my ovaries.

Is three months too early to feel adhesions? I have considered interstitial cystitis on the recommendation of some of you Sisters, and the symptoms seem familiar! I have now been on one pain med or the other for over six months, and it takes 800 mg of ibuprofen to get any effect. I'm on Ultram now occasionally for the bad pain (which doesn't seem to work all that well at all), but my doctor really doesn't want to give me any more narcotic type meds...I understand why, but it doesn't make my pain go away!!!

I'm just to the point now where I'm getting a little depressed by the notion that I might always be in pain. I haven't enjoyed the reception that I've gotten when asking for pain meds, even from a doctor I've been seeing for these problems for years, so he knows I'm not seeking the drugs, just some pain relief.

I'm sorry you are all having these problems, too, but selfish ol me is glad that I'm not alone with this situation. Let me know how you're all doing, okay?
Unread 12-31-2004, 12:35 PM

HI HAPPY MY DR. KEPT THINKING I HAD INTERSTITUAL CYSTITUS
SO THEY DID A CYSTOCOPE ON ME WHERE THEY PUT A TINY CAMERA IN YOUR BLADDER THE UROLOGIST SAID MY BLADDER WAS HEALTHY AND THE PAIN WASNT COMING FROM THERE, YOU CAN HAVE THAT TEST TO CHECK ON YOUR BLADDER

EVER SINCE MY LAST BABY IVE HAD BLADDER PROBLEMS I HAD A CATHEDER FOR 3 MONTHS AFTER I DELIVERED SO I FIGURE THATS WHY IT SPASMS AND CRAMPS.

BUT NOW THAT THEY JUST FOUND ENDO ON MY BLADDER IM THINKING MAYBE I HAD ENDO ALL ALONG AND JUST DIDNT KNOW IT MY BLADDER FEELS BETTER SINCE HE LASERED THE EDNO OFF JUST MY OVARY IS KILLING ME RIGHT NOW SOMETIMES THE PAIN IM IN MAKES ME FEEL I NEED TO PEE MORE

I KEPT THINKING GETTING MY OVARYS OUT WILL HELP BUT LADYK HAD HERS OUT AND SHES IN PAIN IM SO CONFUSED I WISH I COULD TAKE ALL OUR PAIN AWAY GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register