Blood Clot | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Blood Clot

Hi!
I went in for my 2 week follow up appointment, and showed my doctor my arm which has been hurting like crazy and she said I have a blood clot. Also told me to take aspirin and put heat on it.

This is a new thing for me and it really hurts. I thought it was just from the IV. Anyway, any suggestions for a good heat source would be greatly appreciated. I tried a bengay patch but that didn't feel like heat it felt cold to me.

Also when taking the aspirin as a blood thinner do you take it once a day or a couple of times of day? I can (and will if I remember) call my doctor's office tomorrow to ask.

I really appreciate all of the tips and advice that I get from all of you.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Blood Clot

As far as the dosage of the aspirin, you need to call the doc and ask about that.
As far as the heat, a heating pad that you can microwave and has the velcro straps on it works great. I added some velcro to mine and put it on my tummy after surgery..but a heating pad is the best.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Blood Clot

I agree..call the doctor about the dosage. If you don't have a velcro bean pad or a heating pad, just throw a wet washcloth in an opened zip lock bag into the microwave for 1 minute. Moist heat works well. Keep it in the bag and place it in a kitchen Tee towel to wrap around your arm. I've heard that they are uncomfortable.
Best wishes,
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Thank You

Thank you for your replies and your tips on heating my arm. It's kind of an akward spot (inside elbow) your suggestions should work really well.

I've been thinking and wondering about how blood clots form; Does anyone know how you get clots? something that I didn't think to ask when I was there. I must still have some brain fog. I think I'll make a list before I call tomorrow so I can be sure to get all my questions answered this time.

Unread 12-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Get a second opinion

Blood clots in your arm are nothing to mess with, you should follow up immediately with another doctor. A year ago I had two of them in my legs that traveled up to my heart and I almost died. I had to take Warafrin which is a blood thinner and then shots in the stomach for 6 months. Asprin won't do it. SERIOUSLY, GET A SECOND OPINION. PLEASE!!!
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Blood Clot

If her clot is in a superficial vein then the heat and aspirin should be okay, it was probably formed from the IV...the kind of clots you are talking about are deep vein thrombosis and they are very dangerous you are right.. But if he could tell that she had a clot without use of an ultrasound thenthey are superficial probably caused, by what I said, and IV.
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:29 PM
The BEST Heat source (my opinion)

Hello, just wanted to let you know about this little miracle I came across while searching for some migrane relief, that I LOVE! It is called The Original Bed Buddy. You can microwave it or freeze it. It has a handle on each end and is filled with organic materials and is a great source of moist heat. I use it all the time for my sore neck. My son uses it across his back. I just thought I would share my little secret. Also, it can be found at most drug stores and it cost me $8.00. Hope you feel better soon.

LindrosLover
Unread 12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Blood Clot

Thanks Ladies!! I must have the superficial blood clot because you can feel it and it's in the spot where my IV was. I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks for all the great info and advice.

Unread 12-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Blood Clot

Yes, I had Deep Vein Thombrosis also called Pulmonary Embolisms. Thanks for your information to her and luckily enough it does sound like a blood clot from the IV. Take care and keep your eye on it. The heat's a great idea and aspirin to thin the blood a little may help too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register