Staph infection after six months??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staph infection after six months??? Staph infection after six months???

Unread 12-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Staph infection after six months???

Well--back from the surgeon's office today and it appears I have another staph infection after six months. I got one while I was in the hospital and it took over a month for my incision to completely close. I almost had to go home with an IV for antibiotics but I was cleared.
Now my totally healed incision is infected and draining again. I saw the surgeon again today and he's not sure if this is the same infection that somehow stayed around or a new one.
I'm on levoflaxin and amoxicilan because it's also given me a UTI. MY PCP prescribed the amoxicilan because she says the other antibiotic won't cover me. My surgeon says two drugs aren't necessary but I'm so paranoid I'm taking both.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks
Allyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 08:34 PM

I have not experienced this but must tell you how badly I feel for you. Good Grief! I bet you are beside yourself!
Best wishes and s
Maralyn
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:39 PM

When the doc gets a culture report back after taking a sample and sending it off, it tells him what germ has been giving you the problem and also lists drugs that will work for it and drugs that the germ is resistant to. One is for the staph infectoin and one is for the UTI I am sure. Sometimes they will use a specific drug for that specific germ plus an broadspectrum antibiotic that will cover a lot of germs.
If you are concerned about this, call your doc and ask them why the 2 drugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 09:35 PM

I agree -- you need to nail down which antibiotic you should be taking. If one either counteracts the other (or they somehow interact badly) you could end up in even worse shape!

So my advice would be to find out for sure which drug you should be taking.

In the meantime, I send you to get you through the night. I can only imagine what you're going through! Take care of yourself.
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marianwrn
When the doc gets a culture report back after taking a sample and sending it off, it tells him what germ has been giving you the problem and also lists drugs that will work for it and drugs that the germ is resistant to. One is for the staph infectoin and one is for the UTI I am sure. Sometimes they will use a specific drug for that specific germ plus an broadspectrum antibiotic that will cover a lot of germs.
If you are concerned about this, call your doc and ask them why the 2 drugs.
Thanks so much for your response. I guess what has me confused is why the one doctor ( my PCP ) says I need to take the two antibiotics but my surgeon says it's only necessary to take the one he prescribed. He knows I have the UTI too.
The good news is it seems to be working as the drainage is slowing down and I'm feeling better.
I just wish someone could explain how this can happen after all this time. Makes me worry about it reoccuring again down the road.
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:53 PM

one mistake i made is not getting a second opinion. i wonder if there was something besides a TVH that i should have done first. but that is in the past. if you have doubts call another dr. have your gp or a friend recomend one. a second opinion cant hurt and it might ease your mind.
best of luck and i hope you are feeling better soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register