Vaginal Cuff Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Cuff Question Vaginal Cuff Question

Unread 12-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

Okay, stupid question. My cervix was removed and my doctor explained that he would make a cuff so that my organs would not be exposed. Okay, I got that.

I read that some women have said that when their cervix was removed, their male partner's said they felt like they weren't hitting the cervix. I was wondering if a penis hits the cuff, could it damage or penetrate the cuff? I'm not sure I'm saying this correctly. While my Gyno is terrific, I feel stupid to ask him such stupid questions. I know he wouldn't think it was stupid, but I'm embarrased by how little I know about my own body. Can anyone answer my question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

C'mon, you know there's no such thing as a stupid question! (Can you tell I'm a teacher?) I asked my GYN if my DH would be able to feel a difference and he said probably not. Maybe in certain positions where penetration is deeper, or maybe if he is ... eh "extremely well endowed". There shouldn't be any problem with causing any damage as long as you wait until you are cleared for sexual activity.
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

DH said there was no difference when actually having intercourse but could tell the difference another way if you know what I mean...trying to keep it clean here hostesses!!!
once you have been cleared for sex, there is not risk of really hurting it, it might hurt for you for awhile, but it is not like he is going to poke a hole in it or something.
In case you really don't understand the cuff thing, another sister long ago described it like this---imagine your sock is your vagina and the toes of the sock are the cervix...alright you cut the toes off the sock (removing the cervix), now you have to repair the sock and stitch up the hole-----then you have made a vaginal cuff! woohoo...LOL Just closing the gap so to speak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

I'm 40 years old, but I'm single and haven't been very sexually active in my life. You have to understand. I had a sheltered childhood. Catholic school for 12 years, my dad, brother, and uncle were all cops. I've had Hidridinitis Supertivia since I was 12, so I'm really insecure about myself. I really don't get some things. This is one of them. It's embarrasing, but a lot of sex stuff goes right over my head.

So here it goes, when you said your DH could tell in another way, what do you mean? Do you mean he was just happy to be with you again? I'm sorry for sounding so dumb, but that's the way my family raised me to be. Remember a time when it was embarrasing to know too much. Now it's embarrasing to know too little.
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

I am sending you PM so that I don't get this an R rating..hehe
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
vaginal cuff

I am totally amazed at the info I read on this site. One of my friends told me the cervix is left in after hysterectomy. I had a tvh on Dec.10th. The Dr told me she would take out ovaries, too but I didn't ask about the cervix. I go to see her(the Dr) next week, and I will ask more questions. I had never heard about the vaginal cuff. I can't believe I am in my 60's and just finding out about all this. You are all so well informed. Thanks for all the info.
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Re: vaginal cuff

Quote:
Originally posted by ramona66
I am totally amazed at the info I read on this site. One of my friends told me the cervix is left in after hysterectomy. I had a tvh on Dec.10th. The Dr told me she would take out ovaries, too but I didn't ask about the cervix. I go to see her(the Dr) next week, and I will ask more questions. I had never heard about the vaginal cuff. I can't believe I am in my 60's and just finding out about all this. You are all so well informed. Thanks for all the info.
During a vag hyst the cervix is always removed. The vaginal cuff is where they stitch the opening of the vagina that the loss of the cervix has left...just think of it as repairing a sock that has a hole in to, you just put the ends together and stitch it up. That is the easiest way I know to explain it..LOL
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Vaginal Cuff Question

Ok... I will give this a try... hope this post doesnt get deleted
<oops....yup. PG-rated please. >

I dont want to be a casuality of sex.
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Vaginal Cuff Question

Quote:
Originally posted by SyZyGy
Ok... I will give this a try... hope this post doesnt get deleted
<oops - Removed by admin. PG-rated please.>

a casuality of sex.

too funny girl.....for a while once you are released, you need to take it easy..it still might cause you some discomfort, so I would hold the war off for quite some time after you fully recover. There is always that chance until it is healed really good.
Unread 12-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

How long until you are totally healed and the danger of damage during sex is no longer a fear?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register