Surgery in 6 days,,,,SCARED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 6 days,,,,SCARED Surgery in 6 days,,,,SCARED

Unread 12-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Surgery in 6 days,,,,SCARED

Hi everyone...I am new to this board...I am haveing a TAH on Wed. Jan 5th and I am scared to death...I am a single parent of 4 children ages, 6, 13, 15, and 17...so I should be ok with some of the help after I get home...it is the surgery iteself that has me scared and I am not sure why...I have had surgeries before but this one is particularly nerve racking...I am sure others have felt the same....I am sure all will come out ok but the positive attitude at this moment doesn't seem to help...I think what has me upset is the fact of being in the hospital and who is watching and taking care of my children...not that I am worried about their care it is just the leaving them for that time...guess this all sounds kind of silly huh??...well thanks for reading and leting me vent a little...good luck to all having their surgery soon

April
:hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 10:37 AM

Hi,
I'm having surgery on the same day! I think it's perfectly human and natural to be a little nervous and scared beforehand. If you have everything worked out in advance, you'll be fine. I've found that making lists for each person of what needs to be done to be very helpful. That way, you don't have to tell them!

As far as the procedure, you'll be asleep, so try not to worry about it. When you wake up, all of the miseries from the past will be on their way out the door. Good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Unread 12-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi!

You are reading my mind!! My surgery is the 7th and I was just telling a friend that I am amazed at how nervous I am! This will be my seventh surgery and you would think I am a pro by now.

My eye has developed a tic and I had an anxiety attack yesterday!

I have three boys and my husband is here to take care of them and even my mother is going to be helping out the first week. We usually go out for New Year's, but I don't want to leave my kids!!

I am trying to sort out all of these unexpected feelings as well. If you have any luck figuring out how to do that-Share!!

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 10:59 AM

My surgery is scheduled for Jan 12th. I had a panic attack yesterday. I have so much to do before the surgery...both at home and at work. I have upped the number of benadryl I take at night to put me to sleep. No eye tic yet but I'm sure that is coming!

I am taking long walks with my dog and taking a lot of deep cleansing breaths along the way. This too shall pass...this too shall pass...this too shall pass...

Jennifer
Unread 12-30-2004, 11:15 AM

to you!

Your surgery date is coming up fast. I think your kids will turn out to be great helpers.

It is completely understandable that you're having some fear associated with the surgery. Here's what helped me in the days leading up to my castle stay:

* I tried very hard to concentrate not on the hospital stay, or the first couple of weeks which I knew were probably going to be tough, but instead upon the later times -- I started saying to myself, "Gee, in 2 months, I will be 6 weeks post-op" and I imagined how it was going to feel then.

* I pulled back a little from the HS site (I know, I know -- it's a mainstay for lots of us!) and I stopped reading the post-op threads altogether. I did check-in on pre-op once or twice a day, but I decided it wasn't worth it to worry about problems or complications that probably wouldn't happen to me (and they didn't).

* I discovered my "things to do prior to surgery" list was at least twice as long as it really needed to be. I cut it way down to the essentials and immediately felt more calm.

* I "let go" of my situation. The act of having surgery means you'll have to put your fate into someone else's hands, at least for a couple of hours. That can be very scary. But I just kept repeating the first part of the Serenity Prayer, and it really, really helped.

I hope this helps. You're not alone, and we're all here for you!

Unread 12-30-2004, 12:00 PM

I have just found this site and I am so thankful....I am scheduled for vaginal hysterectomy leaving only the cervix ...on Jan 19 and I feel like all of you....worried about my kids and my job .....i have to go now and read more ...this site is amazing.....my prayers go out to all of you...Melanie
Unread 12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Be Encouraged!

Hi April,

Were you married during your other surgeries? Being single really adds a sense of gloom and doom. I'm a single mom, too, with a beautiful adopted 12-year-old daughter. My best friend stayed with me all night in the hospital--they'll allow that, if you need someone with you, even one of your kids. My daughter stayed at a friend's house until I came home, which was ONLY AFTER A ONE NIGHT's stay, even with a 4-1/2 hour surgery that lasted until 6 p.m.!!

Maybe it will encourage you to know that you will probably not be in the hospital long either. I was absolutely SHOCKED to go home the next day--after a complete LAVH! I didn't feel well enough to leave until about two hours before! I was afraid to get up and walk. I didn't feel I could sit up, much less walk. But after that walk--and getting the catheter and IV out--I felt so much stronger! You'll notice that every six-hour block of time brings great changes!

Once you get home, you'll probably feel pretty doggone good at first, but please, don't rush into things. I went home and was pushing a swiffer around the kitchen on the next day! I also stood up at the sink a lot, preparing hors d'oevres for a Christmas gathering (yes, I had company on Christmas!! But they did most of the cooking!). I found that I felt worse on day 5 and 6, probably from too much ado... I feel good today, after resting more the last couple of days.

My best piece of advice to you is drink plenty of liquids and eat fruits, take a stool softener, etc. Do whatever you can to offset constipation. That is what caused my worst pain. Having gas in there, where everything is so tender, is excruciating! I was kind of impacted and strained a little, even though I tried not to--it was so painful in my abdomen that I thought I'd pass out. And the straining made me bleed a little more. Avoid this if you can (and you can). Other than that,and doing too much, things haven't been so bad at all!

Blessings to you!
Sistersuzy
Complete LAVH
Fibroids and adhesions
Unread 12-30-2004, 02:43 PM

My surgery is the 10th and I'm having times when I kind of lose it! I'm very fortunate to have very loving and supportive husband and I can't imagine going through this as so many do without someone beside them for the moral support! Bless your heart!

I've also been through a few surgeries, but for some reason, this one is VERY differant and I'm not sure why either. It must have something to do with the loss of our female organs that is deep seated in our subconscience or something, because this is weird. I know also for me, it looks pretty certain for cancer, but I'm not one to lose it until we get to that bridge. I'm usually a much a stronger person and I find myself crying at the drop of a hat and absolutely panic stricken somedays! I find myself worrying about every aspect of the surgery from anthestic to pain to what nightgown to wear!

I don't know about you, but this isn't like me at all! Go figure.
Unread 12-30-2004, 02:44 PM

I had my TAH on 12/06 and was a little nervous and scared about surgery as well. Do you have someone taking you that day that can sit with you until you go in? My anesthesiologist answered a lot of questions I had on my preop visit at the hospital and he told me that they would give me a shot for anxiety and then set up my IV and then right before they took me away they would give me the sleeping shot and that I probably would not remember the trip down the hall and he was right, the next thing I knew surgery was over.

I have 4 children as well and I know the worry you have in leaving them, but they will do great and be a good source of help for you when you get out. Just remeber dont do a lot when you get home and make sure after surgery that you check on the checkups list to see what you are allowed to do.

We will say a prayer for you and your children. Enjoy the time you have with them right now and have fun and try not to focus on the surgery itself just the benefits of it! Happy New Year!
Unread 12-30-2004, 02:57 PM

I am brand new to this site, and find it invaluable for reassurance and information. No one in my family has had a TAH, so I do not have anyone close to talk to. My surgery is two weeks from today, and I am scared silly. I have had previous surgeries, but they have all been easy compared to this (tubes tied, carpal tunnel and hemmorroids!) All easy recovery time. I have four children, and a wonderful husband to help me. I just can't stand the thought of being off my feet for so long. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and fears, I don't feel so alone!!
Good luck those that go before me, and I will comfort those that go after me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register