Cold hands and feet! I'm freezing - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold hands and feet!  I'm freezing Cold hands and feet! I'm freezing

Unread 12-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Cold hands and feet! I'm freezing

My feet are freezing too and I am NEVER cold. My mom has been massaging them and putting on socks as well. The rest of me is OK.
Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 01:35 PM

I am 4 months out TAH,BSO and also have cold feet and hands now. Had terrible hot flashes for several years prior, was hot all the time. That was weird for me as I always used to be cold and believe me hot menopause in Florida was tough..... Now I am cold most of the time , actually can wear sweaters again but my feet esp. are always ice cold even with socks ect... Am on Climara patch q weekly. Strange for sure, actually this entire experience has been a real head game just trying to understand why things are happening. This site has been very informative and you girls have been great!! Guess I'll look up cold menopause!!!! Jillian
Unread 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
So I'm NOT crazy then!!!!

I was so happy to see that others are experiencing the same things as I am! I mean, I'm not happy that you have cold hands and feet....oh, you know!

I am 2 weeks out from RSO (is that the right acronym for right side salpingo-ooporectomy? it was open too) and I have never been so cold. It is 74 to 78 degrees in this room, and I am wearing 2 sweatshirts! I also have a thick terry robe that I keep putting on and taking off.

Dr sent me for total estrogen and FSH tests, but results aren't back yet. The plan is to back on BCP to suppress cyst development in remaining ovary, but will the test results change that? I mean, if it's high or low, which will mean that I have 6 months' worth of useless pills? Sigh.

Thanks if anyone can help wit that question.

Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Experiencing cold hands/feet and chills can also be due to a low thyroid. You might want to have your levels checked if it doesn't seem to pass.
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:13 PM
HELP!!

I am 5 weeks and 5 days post op and I'm freezing. I've always been warm even in the winter months. When I went to my 2 week check up the DR ran blood work and put me on hrt (cenestin .625mg) due to night sweats and hot flashes and also insomnia. However now I'm wishing for those moments because I'm freezing. I've starting taking my temperature everyday because I've always related coldness to fever but to my surpise my temperature is never above 97.5. It seems that I'm always layered up and sitting under a blanket or two and my feet get so cold that they tingle. I've also went from not sleeping much to not getting enough sleep.

My question....has anyone else had this problem?? Could it be the HRT I'm taking or something else?? I have my next follow up appt with DR this week so I have lots of questions. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks for listening!!
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:19 PM

Hi sisters,

My hands and feet are freezing too. My current temp is 96.8. The lowest I have recorded is below 95 degrees. I went out and bought a second thermometer since I didn't trust the readings on the new one we bought just prior to surgery.

DA is correct, this may be due to hypothyroidism. I looked this up on the net and an underlying condition may be pushed over the edge by stress. I am sure the SAH was quite stressful to my body!

Maybe this is why I'm so fluffy!

I have a call in to my doctor and need to decide if this needs to be evaluated by my surgeon or primary care.

Susan
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
freezing

Someone else earlier on this thread mentioned thyroid function also. My DH spent the holiday season with multiple layered clothes on, yelling at everyone for trying to freeze him out, and extra tired-sleeping all the time. Did I mention crabby? He had a hypothyroid, and now with medication is feeling much better.

Hope you all find warmth all around!
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:41 PM
freezing

Well it's so funny, I have to say I love this site. Let me start by saying I am hot blooded. I am the type of person that is always hot I walk around with sleeveless blouses in my house in dead winter. My friends and family think I am pyshicatic. But Since my surgery 10 days ago for tah/bso I am always cold and the hands and feet especially. The only time I am not cold is when I am having hot flashes. This is unusual for me because my family laughs at me when I say I'm freezing, they have never heard me udder those words. My daughter said to me last night "thats great maybe now we can have the heat on." But to answer your question yes I have been cold since the surgery. I don't think its an thyroid condition with me because I was checked for that 3 months prior to the surgery. But I do have an appt with my dr. on Thurs and we will see what she has to say. love Grace
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:04 PM

Grace,

It's not uncommon for a sister's thyroid to go nuts after have her ovaries removed. All these hormones are linked to one another. So your test prior to your surgery won't be relevant post surgery.

I have been managing hypothyroidism for the past 4 years and mine has gone since my TAH/BSO about 8 weeks ago.

My doctor has set up an appt for me to see an endo on Monday because my latest blood work showed that although I'm taking a bio-identical estrogen & test. cream, the levels are going lower....I'm at 19 right now.....I think that's in the homicidal zone.

Consider asking your doctor to not only test your TSH, but the T4 and T3 for your thyroid. The TSH is more of an overall score, but the T4 is the actual hormone you take if you take medicine, then it converts it into T3. It's also good to test the "free" values of T4 and T3 because the free value is what is actually available for your body to use.

Don't forget that laughter is still the best medicine AND it's free!!

Be patient with the hormones.......this is definitely an area of medicine that is more ART than SCIENCE.

Your freezing friend,

Gina
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:46 PM

I am two weeks out and am also freezing much of the time! I will take a shower turned up way hot and still be cold in the shower!
I mentioned it to the nurse (she asked about hot flashes and I laughed and said I was cold all the time). She said that being cold could be a sign of hormones being off. She didn't go into the thyroid thing.
And believe me, I am preferring being cold all the time to those hot flashes I was having prior to starting HRT. At least being cold is consistent and Idon't have to peal off layers of clothes oly to put them back on and off multiple times a day

Interesting to find others in "the cold spot" with me!

Mary Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register