Pelvic Floor physical therapy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pelvic Floor physical therapy questions Pelvic Floor physical therapy questions

Unread 12-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Pelvic Floor physical therapy questions

I am currently doing pelvic floor exercises with a PFX machine (a small vaginal probe attached to a hand-held meter which show how strong/weak the vaginal muscle contraction is.
2 questions please: I was told to use a small vibrator to isolate and learn which muscle to contract (at 59yrs of age using a vibrator for the first time in my life was a bit startling to say the least, however I did use it very, very gently) - did that, had a hugh "O" (sorry to be so graffic) and afterwards my urethra was very irritated - felt like a UTI but subsided after a few hours and my "stick test" for urine was clean. Will the urethra eventually get used to this or have I done some bruising?
2: after the "O" and the exercises (I can now "raise the bar" 3 points after 1 week instead of just 1 point so I am pleased about that) I am crampy in the lower abdo also for a few hours. My PT is on hols until 9/1 and I really don't want to see the Dr. about this. I think you and some of the other ladies will be able to reassure me of what's happening. I think in my inner being, that this is all probably my nerve endings and muscles waking up, but I'd like your opinion/s please. Many thanks, and happy new year to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi ((((Kerry))))

It actually sounds like you're making real progress with the Pelvic Floor therapy

I had a few sessions with a Pelvic Therapists (moved to a new job and can't find the time to go back ) and also would have some abdominal tenderness after the sessions: that's because I tended to use just about all lower muscles, including my thighs, to compensate for the lack of strength and accuracy in my pelvic floor muscles. It could very well that that's what's happening for your.

Also, having an orgasm always stimulates my abdominals. This is very surprising, as I no longer have a uterus to contract Initially, after my hyst, orgasms would result in lots of abdominal pains. These days, 4 years later, it only happens occasionally.

Regarding the tingling in the urethra, it could very well be that the combination of the therapy, of using the vibrator and of the orgasm irritated it. If the sensation doesn't go away or increasing, it would be a good idea to give your doctor a call.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that things continue to improve for you.
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Dany, I knew I could count on you........thankyou so much. The tingling/irritation does go away and didn't last as long today so I think all is well. Yes, I have addo discomfort after the "O" (a clitoral one, because I don't have a cervix any longer either.) but that too is improving after just a few times. I think, because it is the hols. I am just a bit edgy and need reassurance. Also, it is coming up to 12 months (12 Feb) since my massive second surgery and for some silly reason I am expecting something to go wrong! That surgery really scared me and I saw the "white light" so I want to avoid another if possible. My emotions are a bit shot but that will improve as I improve I hope. Thanks again, Dany, you are a wonderful friend. I do hope you don't think I am dumb, asking all these questions! We should make a list of the things "the doctors never tells us" don't you think? There is soooooo much I have learned from this site and also from the net in general about hysterectomies that the gynos (3 in total) never even hinted at. They have us believe it will all be smooth sailing (and for some it is) without saying this/that could happen so this is what you do if it does! Again, thankyou, and may 2005 be a good year for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 07:03 AM

Kerry,

I have been in pelvic therapy for a long time now. I have an electrode thing that inserts that the PT uses in the office. Usually she uses patches on the outside though. She wants me to get a vaginal dialator to help with the adheasions that I have a hard time reaching, especially the ones at the top. I am susposed to put pressure and massage the adheasions that I can reach daily. Vaginal dialators are rediculously expensive so I bought a small zuccini. I have not tried it yet. I know I have many thick adheasions at the top/apex. Also after 2 weeks of going to the chiropractor I can't believe how much more comfortable my whole pelvic region is.

Marla
Unread 12-31-2004, 08:04 AM

Kerry:

Sounds really like progress to me, too. At least there is some pleasure involved in the process. I hope the discomfort is subsiding over time. I think any muscles that get used or more used are naturally going to be sore the first few times.

I am sorry that you don't feel like you can talk to your doctor about this, especially if the doctor is a gyn. Nothing you have to say should shock or embarrass your doctor and it might make you feel better to discuss it. Orgasms are a natural function. Gynecologists should be committed to helping you to have normal sexual function and open discussions about sexual issues. That's their job. Your gyn should be initiating those discussions, not waiting for you to bring it up. As in, "how is your therapy going, what was prescribed? Any discomfort, how are the orgasms? Any pain with that or after the fact?"

Hang in there. Enjoy the fun part of therapy. If it doesn't get better over time, please contact your gyn.
Unread 12-31-2004, 07:11 PM

Thankyou ladies for your imput. To be fair to the GYNO - I went to PT off my own bat thinking it could help. My GYNO is 2 hrs away and the PT was going to contact him and OK everything. My GP is local and said "you are your own best advocate and PT cannot do any harm.........it's better than pills"! So that is why I need to ask others who have "been there, done that" what their experience was. Yes, I do enjoy the fun part of the therapy.........at 59 it is quite strange, believe me, but I'm not knocking it. I can go 2 -3 hrs without a wee stop now so I'm thrilled about that. And I only have to wee once in the night which is great. I had a flu bug for 3 weeks and that was a bummer but seem to be over that, thank goodness. DH and I have decided to take a week off and go see some relies of mine (he will go the the cricket test match while I visit and then we will have a couple of days with them together) so that should be a nice break. Then when we return I will be full force into the financials I do for a living so we're taking a break while we can. Please stay well, everyone, and I will write when I get back at the end of the week. Love to all, (and yes, I do agree with the use of muscles that haven't been used for months - they are getting better and the discomfort is easing considerably. (the fun part is that the "o" is soooooo much more intense than before I had the hyster I get tired by the "end" - a small price to pay!! (told you I had a warped sense of humour).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register