what does pelvic biofeedback mean? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what does pelvic biofeedback mean? what does pelvic biofeedback mean?

Unread 12-31-2004, 02:33 PM
what does pelvic biofeedback mean?

I just read something about pelvic biofeedback. I have no idea what this means. I would appreciate it greatly if someone could explain what this means. Thank you, contom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 03:49 PM

there is two types.
1 Where they put sensors in certain spots on your bottom which is attached to a "meter" when you squeeze your muscles, the meter tells how well you are achieveing the squeeze as well as how long you can hold it.(kegel exercizes). If you are not doing it right the meter will know and the therepist will tell you the correct way todo them to get the right hold.
Then you will know how to do them on your own.

2. Way, I myself didnt have to do. They did tell me about it. Its been a few years but Ill tell you what I remember.
They(therapist) inserts a special device into your vagina. Only if you are too weak to do the first step above.
Then, the device does something to make your kegel muscles contact for you. From what I know it doesnt hurt. Eventually the muscles will become strong enough to do the first step and then on your own.

Feel free to email me and we can talk about this more if you like.

All these procedures are done by a woman in a private room.
I hope this helps.
Unread 12-31-2004, 04:02 PM

What is the purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 04:03 PM

To strengthen your pelvic muscles.
Unread 12-31-2004, 05:34 PM

Due to ongoing issues with stress incontinence, I was referred to a Pelvic Therapist. She uses biofeedback technology in the hopes of the strengthtening my weakened pelvic floor.

In my case, the therapy involves inserting a probe in the vagina. For hygienic reasons, I had to purchase the probe The probe is linked to a PC and the biofeedback software works in two ways:[list=1][*]Impulses are sent to the pelvic muscles in order to stimulate muscle contractions. Not only are the muscles stimulated, the right muscles are contracted.[*]The software monitors the effectiveness of your pelvic contractions, recording both the strength and the length of the contractions. It also records whether or not you're using the right muscles[/list=1]

I've also seen where an other probe is inserted in the anal canal in order to stimulate those muscles, but my therapist hasn't used this method with me.

As to why this therapy is used, I know that lots of women use it to strengthten their pelvic floor in order to prevent prolapses, others, like me, use it to correct incontinence issues and there are yet others who use it to help reduce pelvic pain.

While I didn't have any pains or even discomfort from this therapy, there are some who have either felt discomfort or even outright pain.
Unread 01-01-2005, 09:50 AM
more information needed on biofeedback

thank you for helping me understand what pelivic biofeedback is. I guess i am still knew to all this because I don't understand why it is needed. Thanks, contom

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register