1st Grocery shopping trip | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st Grocery shopping trip 1st Grocery shopping trip

Unread 12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
1st Grocery shopping trip

I felt great on Wednesday. I decided to grocery shopping at 10pm so that there were no crowds and I could use an electric cart to ride in. It felt great to get out. I used the little cart in the store and managed not to run over anyone or knock anything over. Yippee!

However by the time I got to the register, I was pooped. A grocery bagger helped me out to my car. That night I started really hurting. I took pain medication all night and Thursday, but it didn't help. I spent all of yesterday in bed and in pain. I also had a lot of discharge yesterday. Today I'm better. Only a little discharge and the pain is pretty managable. I have decided not to go out again for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM

Good idea...you did too much too soon big time. I know you need to get out, but don't do so much. Going to the store and getting a few things is okay if someone is there with you to carry the stuff and reach and bend to get the stuff off the shelf. Other than that, you should be resting.
Unread 12-31-2004, 04:53 PM

I always use the little electric carts, since I have a knee that is arthritic and needs surgery. I think it's fun driving them when the stores aren't crowded. I use the hooked end of my cane to pull things of the shelf! Yesterday, the husb. and I went to groc. shop together. I was really excited, esp. since I was going to get some Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Well, there were no carts available in the store. I was too pooped to walk, so went to the car and sat while the DH did the shopping. I did enjoy watching people. One group of grannies had bought some spur of the moment deals. They were toys, and the boxes were about 3 feet long by 1.5 feet wide! There were four grannies, and they drove a very small car. The boxes wouldn' t go into the car, so they called their daughter to come with her minivan. I was sitting there 30 min., and she still hadn't come! It was funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 05:11 PM

It's tough to feel good but then pay for the good feeling with a set back. I tried doing a little shopping then out to lunch yesterday, really wiped out today. Doc says even if you feel you can, don't!. I guess he was right. I'm 2.5 weeks out and so restless.
Unread 12-31-2004, 05:15 PM

It was close to four weeks before I ventured out shopping! I know that sounds LONG but I played it safe! Even after four weeks post op, I went out for a couple of hours of shopping at the mall and I had to have two sit down breaks during that time.

I was pooped when I got home!

So, not even two weeks post op for you is EARLY to be shopping!

Take it easy!

Sarah
Unread 12-31-2004, 05:18 PM

HippieHoney is a smart lady. I should have done this also, but I was dumb. I'm going to follow your lead now... promise!
Unread 12-31-2004, 06:31 PM

Hi Kindred,
I went shopping for the first time about 3 weeks, and I used the cart. However I took my DH and DS to do the hard work!! I just sat and directed. How often can that happen in a womans life!! I was also exhausted and came home and went to bed...

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-01-2005, 06:41 PM

I'm just over 3 wks now and I haven't been shopping alone yet. I've gone a few times with hubby, just to walk along. I've only pushed the cart when its almost empty. I don't plan on doing grocery shopping alone for at least a couple more weeks. Please be careful! As we've read over and over, we only get one chance to heal, let's get it right!!

Unread 01-01-2005, 06:48 PM

A hint for cabin fever!! When you are sick and tired of looking at the same four walls, and tired of the reruns on tv, get your DH, a friend or a parent to take you for a drive! Just go, drive for a half hour or so and go home!! Take a towel for the seatbelt, and a pillow, blanket if it is cold, and just get out of the house. DH and I would drive DS to school, and I did not get out and did not hurt when i got home. It really helps the morale to get out, but dont go shopping, or lunchin or what have you. Just get out, get into your car, and let someone show you the sights!!

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:16 PM

i used to love the drives my Dh would take me on, go through the Dairy Queen drive through and get an ice cream cone and then head home. One time we even rode through a new subdivision being built....I remeber going for drives as a kid with my folks, we used to love that , just riding around.
just a 20 min ride makes a world of difference in how you feel emotionally, it is great! I even begged DH to let me ride with him to go to the dump to dump our trash from the week....LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register