Not sure what to call this thread | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not sure what to call this thread Not sure what to call this thread

Unread 01-01-2005, 04:02 AM
Not sure what to call this thread

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've been here. I had my surgery back in 2003. I was unable to take HRT . Aside from the hot flashes I felt pretty good. I'm not feeling so good and I'm not sure what to do. I have tried just going at it with nothing, I can't seem to remember to take any pills. Black Cohosh or Soy. I don't think they were doing me all that much good anyhow. Some one told me that this far post -op I should not be having hot flashes anymore or the no- hormome mood swings. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 06:30 AM

Well, honey, you don't mention how old you are?
I love it when people say you shouldn't be having any problems!!!
Yeah, right!!!
Anyway, I know you said your not a pill taker; do you take anything? Like a multi-vitamin?
I've read some women drink soy milk. And there are good tasting soy products out there.
The problem is; you have to take them for quite awhile before you see results.
I wish I could think of a magic pill for you, so you wouldn't have to take a whole mess of pills like I do. ( you wouldn't even want to know how many I take!!!)
You say that you don't feel so good. What are your symptoms?
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:29 AM

I had my surgery in May of 1999 and I still have hot flashes, although they are diminishing as time goes by.

You said you aren't feeling too well, but are you sure this is related to not taking HRT or could it be something else?

Concerning the soymilk and other soy products.....if you have a medical reason for not being able to take estrogen, DO NOT take in too much soy in foods as this could cause a problem. Talk to your doctor about it.

You might also consider talking to your doctor about prescribing one of the SSRI antidepressants. I take Effexor, which helps lessen the severity and frequency of my hot flashes.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 04:44 PM

Well I just turned 43, and in this last year I have come out of remission of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was already over weight, and I am ashamed to say that since the hysterectomy I have gained even more weight. I work in a high stress environment and I'm sure that all these things combined don't make for feeling good. I am supposed to be dressed business professional at all times, it’s next to impossible for me since I can barely tolerate wearing clothes. I have in the past been on Prozac, but it really doesn’t seem to help. I’m not a pill taker mainly because I can’t keep to the regimen. Just as I get to where I’m taking something regular, I run out of money and can’t get my refills. I have run into that with my RA meds too. I’m supposed to be on Methotrexate, Mobic and Calcium with soy. But I can’t afford to keep up the medication and Dr visits. The combination of the problems is really taking its toll. I’m over heated and sweating almost all the time; I’m almost always in pain from the RA. I’m generally irritable, I have little to no energy and most days can barely think. I’m even beginning to have memory problems. I had some of these problems before the hysterectomy, and they cleared up almost immediately after the surgery. I’ve considered gastric by-pass to help with the weight, but honestly I don’t want to commit to yet another surgery. I feel like I’m in a vicious circle of problems and I don’t have a clue where to start to resolve them. I don't mean to be such a whiner, I just can't seem to pull it together and make this work.
Unread 01-02-2005, 07:10 PM

Sorry to hear you are feeling so lousy. I bet you do feel bad with the arthritis. I have developed bursitis since hyst, and that makes it even harder to exercise. I have gained weight too since surgery. I don't know whether it is the ERT or menopause in general. I can relate to the cost of your meds-- it is terrible. My insurance has a really high deductible before it pays for anything. I am now contemplating dropping my insurance so I can afford all of my HRT. Good Luck to you, and yes by the way I am 44 and having a real problem remembering things too.

Brenda
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:41 AM

Well I have just had four days off from work, I am actually dreading going back. I ko wthat I must, but still I dread it. I get to where I resent others that are healthier and have better memories. That is so sad to say that but true. I am not standing up to the stress of the job very well these days. I supposed I live to fight another day, but dang I'm tired of the fight. Just to have things go smoothly for a time would be such a blessing. Perhaps that is the real resentment of going back to work today, I don't want those around me to see my floundering.
Unread 01-05-2005, 04:09 PM

I have almost the same symptoms you have. I take nothing. Hot flashes are bad and I had my surgery almost 2 years ago. I am 47 and still not feeling great.

Common Ground

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register