Where are they | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where are they Where are they

Unread 01-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Where are they

OK as many of you know my big hang up is getting pregnant after my hyst! I know it is supposed to be impossible but so are many other things that have happened to me.

Now, I was in surgury for 4 1/2 hours and I still have my cervix - the doctor didn't want to go didgging around as I went into distress and there was nothing wrong with the cervix anyway.

They say they couldn't find my other ovary or tube and it is believed I was born with out them, but... I am having my third (not 2nd as I thought, I'll explain later) period since surgury and I do not mean spotting I mean proper period"

My uterus was a half of a bi-corneal or bicornuate uterus.
What is the chances that the "other halves" are actually still there hiding - I mean I have a helluva lot of fatty tissue I am a big lass (250 pounds) and they were more concerned with the job in hand.

As to my periods, I experienced some bleeding for 3 days, 3 days post op and it is believed this was my period and the time scale fits dead right too.

Do you think there is a chance I have another 1/2 set hiding inside me? If so will it suffer the same as the other or do you think it might be useful?
Why is my body so odd? How can I find out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Where are they

Hey Kia,

Although I can't answer you question about the missing "parts" that might still be there, I wanted to ask about your periods. Are they getting any lighter and/or shorter? The reason I ask is that mine did. I had five mini-periods and each got lighter and shorter than the last. It just struck me that the time for my last period has come and gone and no bleeding whatsoever, so hopefully it's gone for good.

It is possible since you still have your cervix to experience monthly bleeding. If you're not lucky enough to have it getting lighter and disappearing like mine, you may want to ask your doctor about cauterizing the tissue at the top of the cervix where it used to connect to the uterus to remove the cells left there that are still causing the bleeding. To my understanding, this is a fairly routine procedure done in the doctor's office, but maybe one of the other ladies out here can give you a better perspective on that.

Good luck Kia!
Unread 01-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Where are they

Hey,

no they are no shorter or lighter, it is exactly the samje as before. It wouldn't be just a little tissue needing cauterizing, I have the complete cervix not just the tip as is normal.

In a way I quite like to keep having my periods - makes me feel normal lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 07:14 AM
lots of questions

You have been through a lot, and it was all so sudden. I am sure you still have many unanswered questions, and maybe with your medical emergency, the doctors didn't know all the answers either at the time.

I think these are excellent questions to ask your doctor, although I know sometimes doc's will say "Oh, that is impossible" without thoroughly explaining it to you. I know there have been some cases of pregnancy after a hyst, but I believe all of those were conceived before the hyst and were outside the uterus. I don't think any of them went to full term.

here is a link to one article about it, but it doesn't sound like the same thing as your concerns.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/.../417?query=TOC

My goes out to you with all of your concerns.
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Where are they

Is it possible for you to explain your (quite valid) concerns to your Dr and ask him to do an ultrasound or CAT scan. If there's anything left one of those procedures would surely show it.
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:40 AM
another site of information

Here is a site that shows some pictures of a bicornate uterus during surgery. It is very graphic so beware if you are sensitive to that stuff.

http://www.pelvicfloor.com/library/library.html

Unread 01-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Where are they

Hi,

Usually with a bicornate uterus, the two halves are totally joined; they're not like two separate organs (you'd have two cervixes if that were the case), so it would be virtually impossible for it to be missed during surgery. But, as suggested, for your own peace of mind, you need to discuss this with your doctor.

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Where are they

Quote:
Originally posted by Shashi
Hi,

Usually with a bicornate uterus, the two halves are totally joined; they're not like two separate organs (you'd have two cervixes if that were the case), so it would be virtually impossible for it to be missed during surgery. But, as suggested, for your own peace of mind, you need to discuss this with your doctor.

s,

Lisa
If you look at the picture of the first one and the description, this patient did have 2 cervixes and are 2 separate organs that were joined toward the horn...
What I suggest that you do is talk to your doc face to face and express your concerns, get a copy of your surgical report from the medical record dept of the hospital before you see him. Only he can provide you with those answers. Please let us know what you find out.
I konw you are worried about this and I hope that he can ease yor mind.
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Where are they

Whoops! Sorry for the misinformation. I hadn't looked at those pictures when I posted earlier.
Unread 01-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Where are they

It was found out with my TVh that I also was the proud owner of a bicornate uterus!! My Dr. told me that a lot of times when those types of abdominal abnormalities occur there can also be kidney, bladder, etc problems. He suggested, and we did a complete sete of ab CT scans. This might be what you need to see what's up. Mine, as with most, were OK and all was normal. It's a good thing to consider

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register