Numb on the outside, itchy burning sensation on the inside | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Numb on the outside, itchy burning sensation on the inside Numb on the outside, itchy burning sensation on the inside

Unread 01-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Numb on the outside, itchy burning sensation on the inside

Hello

I'm 2 weeks post op and doing quite well. Actually I think I'm pushing it a little too much, because ever since I came home from hospital, I've been cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc. I have a nice dh, ds and dcat, but all three of these fine gentlemen are very very messy. As a result I've switched back into action mode.

Every morning I feel like I could climb mountains and every evening I've got swelly belly and I feel very numb on the outside of my stomach/incision etc and very very itchy and burning like sensation on the inside.

Are these sensations (itchy & burning) normal ?

Thank you !!!!!
smiles & dreams

TAH, salpingectomy, 2 weeks post op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:00 AM
slow down please!

Hi,
I remember two weeks post op, and no matter how great you think you feel, you are doing way too much! Guess you knew that already...Please ask for help and try to overlook a little...it will all be there for you to do later. Your insides are still healing and believe me, almost four months post op I now understand that they were healing. I think your numbness and burning are simply from overdoing, but do ask your doc.
Please get your messy fine gentlemen (at least two of them) to help! It helped me to ask my DH and little boys to do specific things (like "can you take the laundry basket upstairs)" instead of general requests like "clean the room!" Please dont' be doing things like cleaning or moving the litter box, ironing or doing laundry. It will put undue pressure and strain on those healing stitches and could cause prolapse that you don't need! At 6 weeks I was still losing a stitch or two as they dissolve and heal.
Hope I didn't offend you...but the care you take now will prevent you being back in for more!
Love, LCP
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:19 AM

Thanks so much for the advice LCP I really do appreciate it.

I really must stop acting like superwoman, because I'm getting into a silly situation. I feel I can run around like I used to then all of a sudden I bend a little too far, or reach to the top shelf then OUCH ! It's utterly ridiculous.

I'll have to go back to work soon and I keep figuring that I'd better get used to this because at work I won't be able to take it easy.

But the burning inside really has me a worried. It's a deep inside sensation.

Anybody get those ?

smiles & dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Hello Smiles and Dreams,

You really are doing far too much. Two weeks post op you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING only walking around carefully. The more you show your dh that you can do, with the greatest respect, the more he'll expect you to do it, and more. Don't forget he hasn't had a TAH so he doesn't realise how you feel, unless you tell him!

I had my TAH/BSO six weeks ago and only now am I beginning to do more things in the home like laundry, ironing and lifting a few things (not too heavy though). I'm a great believer in taking it very easy and resting lots for the first four weeks. You'll recover far quicker, and be ready to start back work, than if you push yourself in these early days and make yourself ill later on down the line.

It really does pay off if you are careful now. Don't forget you only get one chance at healing so please take it.

Regarding the numbness on the outside of your incision, this is perfectly normal. The tenderness and numbness will last for a while yet. The swelly belly is proof that you're doing too much.

As far as the itching and burning inside, if I were you i'd contact your GP to get it checked out, it could be purely because you're overdoing things but it's best to make sure.

Please, please take it easy, you've been through a lot so let your body get over it.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Geraldine
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:07 AM

I'm so so grateful for the great advice and kind words !

There is a certain amount of pressure to be active and on-my-feet quickly. Not from my kind but messy dh or ds, but in general. I feel it (especially the fact about having to get back to work quickly regardless of how I'll be feeling) and am pushing myself.

I didn't think it was anything special, until I noticed that many ladies here only go back to work after 6 to 8 weeks.

Anyway....

Thanks for the kindness

The itchy burning is really weird, it can be quite high up in the abdomen. I'll check with my next week. Just wondering if it was a normal healing process ?

smiles & dreams
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:31 AM
incision?

I didn't have an incision, but if you did, it could be related to that....I think it really is part of doing too much; I felt all kinds of weird pains and pressures when I was healing (and really I still am healing, in my opinion!) Ask your doc, and I will pray it gets better soon!
I know you feel pressure to get back with it, but remember, and this is a fact for all of us, if we were not around, the world would go on somehow, and things would be taken care of somehow, so take care of yourself and don't sweat the small stuff. You are obviously very important to your family, as all we women are, so this is your time to heal.
Get your family to help you. It is true what they say, when you do a lot they expect you to do a lot and more. I realized this when after two to three weeks I finally got out of my pajama and robe wardrobe and into shirts and pants....my boys, 9 and 5, were thrilled and thought MOM was back 100 percent!!! OOPS! I didn't realize they noticed that much!

LCP
Unread 01-01-2005, 12:38 PM

itchy-burning normal

cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, Not Normal

Every work place should allow normal healing time after a major surgery 6-8 weeks. You must have a different set of circumstances.
Maralyn
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:04 PM

well I think there is a difference between Europe and the States. In Europe you stay in hospital longer than in the States, but I have the impression one returns to work earlier here.
I'm expected to return full time quite soon. I suppose I could stretch it if I pushed, but I wouldn't want my employer to think I'm taking advantage.

I'm trying to psyche myself into "get-moving" but at the moment I feel really tired (and itchy and burning) in the evenings. Hope I'll be able to face it all when I have to.

Thank you for all the kind words ladies

smiles & dreams
Unread 01-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Smiles and Dreams,

Before doing anything else, I would urge you to read this piece of info from the "Check Points" section of this site, and get your DH to read it too. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=117137

I was doing too much. Once I read this article I stopped it! Your long term health can be seriously jeopardized (sp?) if you continue to do what you are doing. If you further injure yourself and require more surgery, who is going to care for your loved ones then? You and they will be much better off if you allow yourself to heal properly NOW.

Please take care and let us know how it goes.

Rosalie
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Oh my goodness Rosalie, that post is impressive
I've been trying to take it a little lighter in the past 24 hours, most especially because this morning even before getting out of bed I had this strong twinge deep inside. I read another lady referring to those as "zingers": I do hope that was all it was.

Many many thanks for the kindness
smiles & dreams

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register