HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unread 01-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Hello Ladies,
After sitting here reading these posts for the past few days, I am concerned. Too many of you, in my honest opinion are really pushing yourselves! I know it was Christmas, and New Years, and a time for busyness and fun. However, you girls need to take it easy!! YOU ONLY HEAL ONCE!!

So many of you are going out shopping, doing all the stuff it took me 5 weeks to do. And by the sounds of it, you do it alone!! As I just posted, my first 4 weeks were pretty much spent in bed, walking, drinking my water, checkin in here, and just general puttering with many lay downs in between. Yes, I had coffee for two hours one night, thinking sitting was not going to bother me. I think I was 2 weeks. I came home and wanted to DIE!! I was so tired and sore, did not realize it til I got up, DH almost had to carry me in the house! I wanted out!! And paid for it dearly. Did it stop me?? No, but I learnt really quick when someone came to my house, they were invited into my bedroom to sit and visit. If I felt up to coming out, i did but they were warned it would not last too long. I did dishes early on, but never lifted a stack of plates, and I did not put them away. I was comfortable doing this. I was bending and such early on, but no one told me not to until 4 weeks... Ladies, I am so concerned for all of you who are out and about!! Please slow down and take care of yourselves!! The holidays are over, you can relax and take it easy. I am 3 months out and plan on resting for a couple days before I get back into regular life again!!

Hugs
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Thank you Kat for posting that message. I also would like to tell the new sisters about a great place to find information while you recover. On the top of this page, there is a link called checkpoints. In addition to loads of information, it gives you a guideline of do's and dont's depending on how far postop you are.
This is major surgery you just had. It takes 6-12 months to completely heal from this. you don't want to do anything that will set you back to square one.
We call each other a princess because that is how you should be treating yourself and how others should be treating you and we all know that a princess does nothing! but sit around and get waited on and rest.
sleeping, drinking tons of water, taking very short walks in the beginning, and sleeping some more is all you should be doing for weeks.
While some of you are saying, but I feel good, you might not feel so good when you get done whatever it is you want to do. If you feel great...then great!!! Enjoy feeling good, by continuing to rest and relax and take it easy.
I strongly suggest that the new and some older sisters read the checkpoints and use them as a guideline.
We only have your best interest at heart. It hurts us to hear of a sister who is posting that she is doing so well and then another post of how much she is hurting spotting etc because she over did it.
Unread 01-01-2005, 06:45 PM

While everyone needs to take it easy after surgery, I'm nearly 5 years post op and I disagree about staying in bed for 4 weeks. Every patient is different. If your doctor approves of you going to parties, shopping ,etc, and you feel up to it, there's nothing wrong with it. My doctor had no problem with me going out and believed that moderate activity helps with recovery. I followed his advice and did well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Hi Wachusett,
I agree with you if the doc approves that activity. I also know that if you do overdo it, you can end up with adhesions and more pain. I spent my four weeks in bed, doing the things I was able to, and am also doing fine. Some of the things going on here, in my honest opinion are over and above what a doctor would say is acceptable at that certain stage of recovery. I do not want to see anyone having long standing issues by doing too much. We have all been through more than enough with this surgery and it is apparently quite easy to get adhesions, infections, pulled stitches,etc. I dont want to see anyone have to go through anymore simply because they are doing too much, if I can help them realize that they are doing too much....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Re: New Posts ops, PLEASE Read!!

Quote:
Originally posted by harley_kat
As I just posted, my first 4 weeks were pretty much spent in bed, walking, drinking my water, checkin in here, and just general puttering with many lay downs in between. Yes, I had coffee for two hours one night, thinking sitting was not going to bother me. I think I was 2 weeks. I came home and wanted to DIE!! I was so tired and sore, did not realize it til I got up
If you read Kat's post again, you can see that she NEVER said to stay in bed for 4 weeks, she surely didn't! She was walking, puttering around the house etc and taking her rest and naps like we are told to do.
i find it hard to believe that any doc would advise that it was okay to go to partys and to the mall shopping that early.
All we are saying is that the new postops need to understand how much of a major surgery they have had and that they can't go right back to their normal activities so soon without causing any harm or pain.
There is a reason that your doc gives you 4 or 6 weeks off from work and it is not to get all the shopping and cleaning done that you have neglected prior to that. It is to rest and to heal and it hurts me hearing about our sisters that we care about doing too much, cause we do care and don't want them to hurt later or hurt themselves and then set their recovery back.
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:26 PM

I am 11 days Post Op and I am lucky to make it the bathroom (on the other side of the house) & back to bed, which totally exhausts me. I have only made it to the couch now in the last two days! I think alot of women push themselves d/t the super woman syndrome we all have been taught & exposed too! Me included! I have too force myself to take it easy. Yes, I am thinking about things that need to be done, but I say to myself NO, just have to wait. The world will not end because I can't get the chores done. My Dr. said first two weeks no matter how good I feel (Important KEY Here) is to be spent walking, drink lots of fluids and total rest! He just continue with the same order till my next appt in 4 weeks! Heck, for me to be truthful here, thats all I can do! But, if someone was to come up ask me could I do the chores, I would say Yes! Piece of cake, The super woman syndrome would begin to speak! LOL! Yes, I am getting those moments I feel I could do more things, but I know that will only set me back in healing. I say Do it right the first time healing and prevent complications later! Its only for a few weeks! Compare to the rest of your life.
Boneta
TAH/BSO 12-21-04
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boneta
Yes, I am getting those moments I feel I could do more things, but I know that will only set me back in healing. I say Do it right the first time healing and prevent complications later! Its only for a few weeks! Compare to the rest of your life.
Boneta
TAH/BSO 12-21-04
i couldn't have said it better myself!!! You said it all right there Boneta. I hope you start feeling better
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:39 PM
doing too much.....

Thanks for the info.....

I thought that maybe it was me, because I had a nasty rectocele repaired and major perineum rebuliding.....

No one really said that resting meant OFF the feet, or laying down.

It just gets to be too much, partly because I have this big flap of skin (used to be referred to as my abdomen) , hanging and weighing my whole pelvic area down.

I have lost weight over the past year, and usually walk like a fiend, but the "pouch" never gets any smaller. That is probably TMI, sorry, but it has been a hinderance for recovery.

I told DH today, sorry, can't help put the x-mas stuff away, I need to be off my feet. He understands.

Thanks for the reality check.

My urologist, who did the amazing rectocele/mesh repair, does not want her efforts to be ineffective!!!!!

I am probably expecting too much of myself, and comparing recovery to other surgery recoveries that I have had.

Thanks again for the dose of reality!

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

Marcia
Unread 01-01-2005, 08:07 PM
post-op recovery time

Out with the old year and in with the new.Glad to hear from so many helpful and concerned sisters.I had hoped that by Thanksgiving, I'd be feeling better....then I was sure Christmas would jolt me back into my familiar, overachieving self.Then I was certain that the New Year and unususally warm 60 degree N.J. day would magically transform me. No such luck, though I did go for a half hour walk around the neighborhood.Is anyone else feeling like this recovery will never end soon enough? I wrote down a list of the positives and the negatives re: the surgery and guess which list was longer?I had written the list to tell my family dr. last month and sad to say, I couldn't cross off anything when I found it in my pocket today. Trying really hard not to get depressed. I've got too much stuff that I was working on prior to the surgery and need to get back on the ball. Any and all suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!HELP!
Unread 01-01-2005, 08:53 PM

I agree with Kat. Take it easy!

I'm 11 weeks, I think. I've been released to do anything I want. I'm still surprised that I still get pains. I call it feeling like I'm "blowing a gasket." I got that just yesterday taking a little hike.

I think many of us feel really good around 10 days or so. We think we can do anything we want. I know because at 12 days I went for a 20 mile bike ride.

If you are around 10 days now and feeling pretty good, the following week or two you aren't going to feel quite so good. Then you'll start improving again. But the more time passes the more you'll realize that recovery is a long process.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to parties. Just don't throw parties. Don't put away the decorations, don't go back to work before 6 weeks at least, and whatever you do, don't vacuum, for chrissakes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register