HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unread 01-01-2005, 09:08 PM

HI!
I feel much better now with how my recovery is going...SLOW. I thought it was just me. I'm 3 weeks post op and today is the first day I ate 3 meals. I've been so sick from the anesthesia. I almost didn't make it through the kids opening their gifts on Chrismas morning, and I was only up for about an hour.

I really can't stay up for too long. I went out once since my surgery and that was for my post op appt. Oh, and my son desperately needed snow bibs. My sister in law went with me carried the bag for me and did the driving parked at the entrance etc. but that was it.

I'm hoping I turn a corner soon but by the sounds of it will be slow going. My dh needs to go back to work soon (2 more weeks) and I'm nervous about that. He's going in 2 days this week but I will have help.

I have no idea why but the hardest urge to resist is the vacuum, and I'm doing it but I also haven't been out of bed much. I could care less about the rest of the house work but I like to have clean vacuumed floors. Don't worry I own't be vacuuming anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Hi Moey,
You know what? It does get easier. I am 3 months out, and am doing ok. I still get tired and know that resting is the best thing for me. I still do too much and hurt. But each week gets better, and I can do more things. I still have brain fog, but can vacuum (good or bad news??) and do all the old stuff I was doing. I can whip off 6-8 loads of laundry in one day. Do I pay, you betcha I do. I usually cannot do anything much the next day. Yes, we need to push ourselves to get back to 'normal' but if we push too soon, we end up hurting ourselves.

I did not write this to make anyone feel bad, or to give anyone heck. I wrote this because I have been and done and know how hard it is to sit still and rest. I care about the recovery of each and every one, and I only wrote this so you can maybe see that yes, I was the same, everyone is the same, and yes I made mistakes, and that it is ok to take care of you, if it is 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks of nothingness, or even if it takes 6 months to be able to live a semi normal life again. I just dont want to see anyone hurt themselves or have lasting difficulties because no one told them they are doing too much....

Wachusett, I am sorry if my post offended you. I apologize for that. I see new princesses, who are going out and doing too much and felt I needed to speak up. I never meant to infer that anyone should just shut down their lives, and sit in bed for 4 weeks. I was only trying to make a point about doing too much and not following our princess rules.

hugs to you all
Kat
Unread 01-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by harley_kat
I spent my four weeks in bed, doing the things I was able to, and am also doing fine.
Unless ordered by your doctor, spending pretty much the first 4 weeks of your recovery in bed isn't a great idea. Spending too much time in bed can increase your chances of blood clots; and as most women return to work 6 weeks post-op, that would leave only 2 weeks to regain your strength.

After the first 7 - 10 days, most women find that they need only nap during the day. The rest of the day should be spent gradually easing back into your normal routine (resting in between chores ). Light housework (dusting, washing dishes, folding laundry, etc.) and walking are encouraged. Of course, you need to check with your own doctor to see what is/isn't allowed.

A good guide to what can be done at the 3 - 4 week timeline can be found in this portion of Checkpoints.

You can do a little more each day or two. If it hurts, stop. If you have pain, call your doctor. Listen to your own doctor, and use the HysterSisters Checkpoints as your guidelines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Wonderful posts! I so wish I had found this site BEFORE my surgery. I went shopping for 3 hours the day after I came home... so whats that, 4 days post op. NOT a good idea ladies.

It is done and over with, and I took a lot of heck for it... and deserved to take heck for it I should say.

Anyhow... that is some wonderful advice. I had my surgery 12/13 and now, this week has been awful. The first 2 weeks, I really did not feel too bad. Maybe I was convincing myself of that due to the holidays. I don't know.

What I do know now is, I am tired, a bit sore, and back on track in the Princess department. Today, we took down the Christmas tree. I took off ornamnets only... and packed them up. No lifting or bending done at all. My husband and daughter were a great help. I am usually a fanatic about how my holiday things get back in their boxes... and I LET IT GO. I packed it up as best as I felt able to do, and called it a day. Some things I am learning to let go of. And it is wonderful.

What I do notice, and should mention to NEW Pricesses..... make sure you have help spread out through your recovery. My friends and family have pretty much forgotten about me BECAUSE I did so well in the first 2 weeks. They figured I am fine. Well, now I am POOPED and need help, and it is harder to find.. and get, as they think I am ok. So... don't let on that you feel good... or your help might just pack up and leave.

Good Luck... great post!!

Andi
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:12 AM

Funny this subject should be brought up today of all days. I had my mother (who is an R.N.) over for New Year's Eve.......spent the night. Well she insists I'm not doing enough and being lazy, basically. So I got up and down all evening just to appease her and today has been pure hell. I'm in so much pain. I'd like more info on what happens if pushed too far in the early weeks post op. I'm pretty upset with myself and with her.
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:36 AM

Molly what is even funnier is that my Mther-in-Law is also an RN and she has been chewing me out for doing too much, when Im really not doing anything I shouldnt be doing at this stage of recovery. Pace yourself and listen to your body, only you know how you feel.
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:59 AM

Great thread - I'd like to echo the importance of following dr's guidelines - but COMBINED with hystersister wisdom!

I am sorry to say that had I gone only by my dr's guidelines I'm certain I would have done damage. ALtho I was totally confident in him for sev'l years now - since my surg my feelings are different.
His instructions post-op were EXTREMELY casual & non-specific -

I have to admit that pre-op I was terrified - and too focused in my discussions w/him re "when-can-I" (get released from hosp., work, hike, ski, snowshoe,etc.) & am sure this contributed to communication issues.

By following hystersister guidelines & experiences I am sure that my recovery has been the best it could be. A couple of overdo's, but learned quickly to readjust -
I am at 6 wks 2morrow & thankful to overall be feeling well. End-of-day swelly & still some tiredness & twinges, but no complaints. Starting back to work 2morrow - very active job (daycare), but have found a way to build back over 3 wks & clients have been very supportive.

New(er) post-ops, please feel confident in advocating for yourself on all fronts: w/dr, home, work.....
Happy NEW Year everyone!
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:21 AM

I'm so glad you guys are posting your opinions about healing...I've been reading alot here and feeling pretty bad about being off my feet. (17 days post op). I thought the superwoman in me was lost..........but now i know better.....after 2 C-sections (vertical cause of emergancy) I went back to work at 4 weeks post op.....12 years later i'm here having had a TAH/BSO ALSO the fine Dr removed TONS of adheasions and scar tissue....some were wrapped around my bowels and attached to my bladder and anything else it could get too. (sorry if TMI) I'm taking my time to heal this time. I dont want to have to go thru another surgery in 10 or 15 years because i was to anxious to vacume or shop.

Unread 01-02-2005, 06:37 AM

I think every case is different, depending on the type of surgery, what extra repairs (if any) were done, and your general health going into surgery. Everyone heals differently, too.

When my doc gave me my post-op instructions, he emphasized more the need to do things than not do. In general he said nothing strenuous, no lifting anything I can't lift with one hand, and nothing in the vagina for six weeks. He emphasized how important it was to not lay around all the time, to do what I felt like but not overdo, to rest when I was tired. No restrictions on bending, lifting, stretching, etc. that some of you seem to have.

So I've already been doing lots around the house, anything that feels comfortable to me (with the exception of sweeping, mopping or vacuuming).

I feel comfortable following my doctor's advice. I've been a patient of his for over ten years, he knows me well. In addition to being in private practice for 25+ years, he is an assistant professor at a major university hospital. I trust his knowledge.

I figure each of us needs to follow our own doctors' advice as well as use our common-sense in listening to what our body is telling us.
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Ladies

First of all everyone is sooo different. Every single one of you ladies had different symptoms and different problems before surg. Some take longer than to heal, due to the type of surg they had. I agree with harley kat. She is giving good sound advice. she always does, and I give her credit for being so concerned and caring of others. She is just trying to help. i am also a nurse, so I know for a fact what she is saying is true. Being in bed, and kind of just puttering for about four weeks is the advice my doc. gave me. Your body will tell you if you are pushing it. And ladies dont compare recovery times, its ridiculous, we are all different ages, shapes and sizes. Take care, and dont push it. Rest, rest,rest, I did and was back at water areobics at six weeks. carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register