IV hand pain/soarness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV hand pain/soarness IV hand pain/soarness

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:17 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Greetings sisters & Happy 2005!
My question for the new year is about the hand where my IV was connected.
The swelling has gone down but it is still soar when it is touched hard or massaged. When/Will this ever go away?
My dr said that it was healing fine at my 1 wk check-up to remove the stiches but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the experience.
PS>>>> The sleepless nights have begun!!!!! 3 days in a row.
Blizzak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:26 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

YES... my hand really hurt. About 3 weeks out, it is finally not hurting. No swelling really, just hurt to touch it. And not at the actual puncture site, about an inch out from that. But with a surgery like ours, they pretty much stick a garden hose in there, so no wonder it hurts. Those are some really big IV's we got. Not just a standard saline size I am sure.

Maybe some ice for comfort will help. Also, try keeping it elevated for a bit. It may reduce swelling.

Andi
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:31 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Thanks Andi!! The hole in my hand was huge. The scab JUST came off today (after rubbing cocoa butter cream on it daily).
Now it seems the actual veins hurt.
Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone.
Blizzak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

It is not only the size of the IV catheter but the pain medication and anesth. they use that irritate the veins and they actually can become hardened. Heat is the best thing to help and keep it elevated if it really really hurts. We apply heat in the hospital for this.
It can take weeks for the discomfort to go away...I had one from my 2nd surgery that took a few months to completely go away, but at that point it only hurt if I touched it hard, like hit it on something or whatever. The meds they use are very harsh to the vein walls. Demerol and phenergan are the worst.
I hope it starts feeling better soon
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:06 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

Hi ladies,

I have strange veins that look great but they run away as soon as a needle touches my skin...lol....I have had that many problems with people trying to get IV's into my hands that I no longer let them put them there at all. I have a bleeding disorder so when I need to have an IV it is massive like a hose with 5 little extra hosey bits on it so they can pump blood products into me if they need to and anything else that tickles their fancy. I only have anaesthetists put my IV's in because no one seems to be able to do it without me ending up like a pin cushion. I always get them to put it in my left forearm as there is a nice thick vein that runs along the top there (on me anyway) and I have had enough of blown veins and infections at the IV site which happens everytime I have to have an IV in my hand. I find when they take it out is terrible too as I bleed for about an hour afterwards. The IV I had in for a D&C stuffed up just after my operation had finished and they decided to take it out just after I got to my room and while I was still asleep. The nurse didn't realise my history and took it out and then turned around to get something to put over the wound when she turned back I had a pool of blood all over the side of the bed and on the floor....I tell you what that got her attention let me tell you. She was told by my DH (who is normally very quiet) "to smarten up and get out of my room and don't come back". You shouldn't even do what she did to a person without any bleeding issues. I just wish I was awake to see my DH in action as the other staff on at the time told me it was pretty impressive. Hehe.
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:28 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

Well well well! They don't tell you all that in the brochure!
I was taking demerol (sp) in th hospital. Then to top it off, I noticed yesterday that the place they shot me in the butt for nausea (my IV was out already) is feeling like a little knot.
What do you guys know about that?
Marianwrn - are you a nurse?
Flitty-I thought I had troubles - WOW!!!
Blizzak
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:32 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

Yes I am a registered nurse. What they put in your butt was probably phenergan and I had that shot once too in my rear and let me tell you that sucker hurt for months to even touch it. Both demerol and phenergan are very harsh on veins and tissue.
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:41 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

Sorry about the ice suggestion... I was just trying to help your pain. If the nurse says use heat... use heat!! LOL. Again, I am no medical expert! I still have a little red dot where my IV was so I think it is close to being done for me.

You guys mentioned pain at injection sites. Whats up with Torridol? I had a shot of that (well maybe only 1/2) when I had a kidney stone and my hip burned like fire. I am pretty good in the pain tolerance department, and she started to push it in and my eyes immediately swelled up with tears and 1/2 way into it I told her she had to stop. Mind you, I had no clue it could hurt or burn like that. She said some people have pain with it, but that it really usually is not that bad.

OUCH. That one hurt for months and months. I asked her to write it down, what it was she had tried to give me, as I never wanted that again.

A year or so later, my daughter got a migraine she could not shake (she is 13) and I could not control it with Tylenol 3, so we went to the clinic, and they said they would give her Torridol, and I cringed. I did not know if she would react like I did. Turns out she did not. She was fine with it. But months later, her hip area is still sore.
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:02 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

HI!
My hand for 2 weeks and was the bruise is just now going away, and those were just from trying to get the IV in. It was ultimately placed in my arm; which was my suggestion from the get go. My veins are small, hard to find, and very sensitive. My arms are both still bruised and a little sore from the IV's. I had a major issue with nausea and dehydratrion. Couldn't keep anything down not even water. They had to put the IV back in. Between the 2 IV's I was stuck 6 times!! OUCH!!

Hope you're hand is feeling better soon. They really do a number on our veins.

After the first day I had torridol too and it would burn like crazy. After a couple of times of that I told them I'd rather just have the motrin! I also had the phenegran (sp?) but they put it through the IV and it too stung like crazy, but that I couldn't do with out.
By the time they were done with my veins hurt from just flushing the IV out with. The nurse told me it shouldn't hurt/sting but did it ever! The IV was definitely the worst part of the surgery for me. Even worse than the waiting before hand!

's
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:31 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

i am so glad there is a thread about this. i have almost as much complaint about my hand than the incision sie! they switched hands half way thru because my right one was getting swollen & puffy, so they changed it over to my left wrist 2 days before i left the hospital. the problem is still the right hand! the vein is swollen and puffy. it still and hurts so bad. i get scared there is a clot in there. i see my doc tomorrow for my 2-week check. it was brided and yellow for a while, now just puffy and very evry sore and stucks up a good deal. otherwise i'm healing pretty well. slow. sleeping, eating, walking. not much else here.

heat seems like it would hurt it more. cold is the only thing that relieves the pain. should i stop that?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register