IV hand pain/soarness - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV hand pain/soarness IV hand pain/soarness

Unread 01-02-2005, 09:33 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

I felt EVERYTHING they put in my IV. It all felt warm, hot, or stinging. My butt was ON FIRE when she stuck my that nasuea shot. i cried, screammed and clinched. It was not pretty. My nurses all told me that it would/burn/sting or be just plain uncomfortable.
This was my first hospital experience and I made them tell me everything before they did it so I would know what to expect. looking back on the nausea shot I think I would have rather thrown up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 09:39 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

Oh, do I hear you on the IV - yowee! The pain of that was worse than the incision itself! My wrist (where the nurse tried to put the darn thing in) swelled up, as did my hand for the first 3 weeks. I had no strength in that hand for a good 6 months! I hope the heat works and you are healing just fine.
Happy New Year!
Unread 01-02-2005, 10:40 AM
IV hand pain/soarness

I also had IV in both hands, twice in one, so I have 3 openings healing. It hurt like heck the first 2 weeks, but I am in my 3rd week now, and they just feel extremely ITCHY!! I think this is a sign of healing, so I will suck it up! lol feel better ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 12:05 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Hi Sisters - I'm sure we all looked like hard-core drug addicts by the time we got home. Yellow bruises and prick marks everywhere, I remember it well.

Mine disappeared between week 3-4, I believe, but I did have one stretch of hardened vein, maybe about an inch long, which sister marianwrn has told me was due to one of the drugs.

I hate to say, I still have it and so far, it's showing no signs of leaving anytime soon. It feels hard, but not painful at all.

I have veins like the Alaska Pipeline, which can be seen from down the hall, and noticing that, they usually go get the worst newbie from the lab who needs to 'practice'. The last one, after perforating both sides of my vein and going right into my arm muscle, was told (by moi) to go practice on oranges and not come back. So, even if you have great veins, they still find a way...

joano
Unread 01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Just my ,
I know each medical facility has it's own protocol, BUT,
I will not let anyone give me an IV in my hand!!!

I always give them my past history and ask nicely that they put it in the arm somewhere-I have no extra cushion on the back of my hand (but plenty everywhere else!!)

It does not hurt me nearly as much in the arm, compared to the hand. Just a little info. that I have learned for myself-the hard way.

I usually get asked if I am a nurse, or am in the medical field (I'm working on it,) when I assert myself about the way that I want my care given.

Just thought I'd share.

Marcia
Unread 01-02-2005, 01:23 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

As a patient you have that right, but let me explain why us nurses reach for the hand first.
We try to use a vein fartherst away from the body (distal), if that IV becomes infiltrated, then we can move up the arm alittle and then if that one gets ripped out, we go up a little further. Let me explain why.
When an IV infiltrates during infusion, or if the vein blows while trying to put an IV in, that vein is no longer useful so you can not go below that point because you don't know if the vein you want to use will feed into the one that is already damaged, if you do, it will result in another infiltrate. You can always start another one above the infiltrate or blown vein site.
So you start far away so you can go up, gives you more options and prevents further complications.
That is why we always go for the hand first, but like you said and I said, you can always refuse to have it put in the hand.\
I hope this made sense, if it didn't please let me know which part and i will try to explain it again.
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Marian..
That's REALLY good info. I appreciate your explanation a great deal. I have HORRIBLE veins... but I usually let them take their best shot before I complain. I tell them I have an issue. Let them know where the most successful sites have been in the past and then let them survey for themselves.

Sometimes they do well. Other times.... they say... I'll try once or twice and then we'll do what you think is best.
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:18 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Thanks for the info...you said it much better than I could have!!!
It all makes perfect sense...but I still don't let them put it in the back of my hand.......

Marcia
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

Marcia and dEb you are welcome !
Also remember, if you have had a good site but need another IV too soon, they won't be able to put it back in the same place either.
Glad I could help...psst.... I don't let them put it in my hand either
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
IV hand pain/soarness

I know what you mean!!! I am just past 3 weeks post op, and my hands are sore to touch. I also have veins that run when the needle comes, and I was stuck 16 times!!! I warned them and they all thought they could do it, took 6 different people trying, boy did I feel like a pin cushion! I know they go through training but feel they may need a little more for wimpy veins like mine! My arms are better, but hands are sore to touch. I didn't realize that it may have come from the drugs. Come to think of it, it couldn't be that because the one they used during surgery was on the side of my hand, and it clogged and they had to go the the other hand on my thumb! Oh well..just waiting on it to get better. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register