Almost six weeks and Feeling TIRED!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost six weeks and Feeling TIRED!!! Almost six weeks and Feeling TIRED!!!

Unread 01-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Almost six weeks and Feeling TIRED!!!

I have been a very good !!

I have spent the past six weeks resting, walking, peeing, sleeping, eating and avoiding ANY house chores! I drove for the first time at four weeks to do a little bit of shopping and tired myself completely out!

My husband has been doing ALL the cooking, kids have been doing ALL the laundry, bedding and vacuuming! I haven't lifted anything heavier than a dinner plate in six weeks!

Yesterday, my daughter and I dismantled the artificial Christmas tree, packed the ornaments away and hubby tucked it all away into the garage for another year. I didn't reach (hubby got the high ornaments), I didn't bend (daughter got the low ornaments).

Up until now, I was doing relatively well. Not too much pain and feeling lazy but not exhausted. I had stopped taking Advil at around four weeks.

I am HURTING soooo badly today!!! Was it due to the Christmas tree chore? I feel at six weeks post op, I should be able to do at least that!!! I feel very sore and ache alot and have a heavy sensation in my belly. At four weeks, I stopped hoisting my belly up for support. Today, I was hoisting again!

I was doing sooo well and this was a total downer today! It is the most pain I have felt since the first week post op.

I thought that I was doing myself good being very strict about my recovery, but have I been too strict? Should I have slowly been doing more two weeks ago? Quite frankly two weeks ago, I didn't have the desire or energy to go for a stroll around the block...and I still don't!!

Anyone else feel like they hit a wall at almost six weeks?

Thanks gals,

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 04:29 AM

I still get tired out and achey if I do too much, for you it may have been the tree (ours stays up untill 12th night)
You should have seen how bad I was at New Years eve, we had friends over as my DH decided I couldn't travel that far, I did so much cooking and cleaning that by the time they got here at 5 I was ready for bed (I'm not saying my DH didn't do his fare share, just I did too much)

I rested all day yesterday (slept for 9 hours) and I'm still a bit twingy today, but not as bad, we are to have a beef rib roast today and I know who will be lifting the oven dish and it won't be me

We all heal at different rate (I know, we hear this all the time, but its true) My DH has not let me lift a finger for fear its too heavy, but maybe we just need that little bit of extra time to get over the surgery.

s
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Sarah,

I know how frustrating and discouraging you must have felt about this.
The tree was probably too much. You have been a good princess this is sooo true, but even though we get "released" at 6 weeks, you still have to ease back into these activities. It takes 6-12 months to completely heal from this surgery and the fatigue unfortunately tends to hang around quite a bit after the 6 weeks but does get better eventually.
But just try to start out slowly with your activities and continue to listen to your body. Everything is still not back to normal after 6 weeks, that is just when you can start going back to normal, if that made sense..LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the posts gals!

I know I have to listen to my body, and I thought it was telling me to start doing more! After all, six weeks is a long time to be doing absolutely nothing!

I do raise that question again though...

I thought that I was doing myself good being very strict about my recovery, but have I been TOO strict? Should I have slowly been doing more two weeks ago?

I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to other sisters and their recoveries, but it is soooo hard not to! You really start to think there is something wrong with you when you hear of sisters back to their exercise routines, chores, work and even SEX!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent...this truly is a wonderful place for therapy!

Love and hugs,

Sarah
xoxox
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:21 PM

Hi Sarah,
I am going to answer your question with a question...You asked if you should have been pushing harder two weeks ago. Question is, could you have done more two weeks ago than you did safely? I kept up a fairly steady rhythm of pushing a little harder each day, and at 6 weeks I was still tired. Heck, I am 17 weeks and still get tired very easily. I am back to what i would consider 'normal' activity for me, and the only difference is I get tired and achey way more easily.

Do not judge how you feel by how others do. If you get tired taking the tree down, then lay down for a half hour. Get up and find smaller jobs to do. I dont really think if you push it at 4 weeks or 6 weeks it will in the long run make much difference. Women who had way different recoveries, some do more, some do less, are finding at 6 weeks they are tired from a day of activity, and some at 6 months still get tired. Fatigue is going to be a part of your life for a long time to come, probably until about the 6 month mark. Sorry to say it, but it seems to be the norm. I say stick with it, you are still really early in your recovery, but start to ease into normal life, resting when needed, and doing what needs to be done. Its gonna suck for awhile, and you will not enjoy it, no one does. But eventually you will be able to clean your house on a Saturday and realize you are not bone tired! It will happen, it just is going to take time....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks Kat, you are the best!

As of today, I am gonna do "little" chores in "little" increments and celebrate those accomplishments!

Thanks for the positive boost!

YOU ROCK!

Hugs,

Sarah
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Re: Almost six weeks and Feeling TIRED!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieHoney

My husband has been doing ALL the cooking, kids have been doing ALL the laundry, bedding and vacuuming! I haven't lifted anything heavier than a dinner plate in six weeks!
Sounds like Nirvana to me. (what an awesome family you have!) Have no guilt - just kick back and enjoy it. Let your recovery happen in it's own time...

That what any Hippie Honey I used to know would do! (see my age, ROFL!) Don't tell me it's just an empty name, sister - live it! OH - and take drugs!!!
(for the pain)

joano
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:49 PM

boxing day i took down my tree and i was at 5 weeks later that night i was really paying for it i don't know if it was the tree or wearing jeans all day on xmas( first time since surgery ) but i definatley hurt.
I am 6 weeks and have been approved for work now that should be a whole other things
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Joano,

You are HILARIOUS! What year were you born? (If you don't mind me asking).

I'm a flower child of '66. Born on Halloween!

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Hippie Honey

No offense, but you are more like the child of a flower child. <g>

Hint: click on my "Profile" to the left, but I'll save you the trouble.

b. 1950

Lived in SF from '69-72 (in the Haight!)
I do have an excuse for my brain fog...

wild times
(now 'reformed')

joano

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register