Sleep the final frontier - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleep the final frontier Sleep the final frontier

Unread 01-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Sleep the final frontier

I'm going to a compound pharmacist and he said to take 2 Magnesium supplements a half hour before bedtime. It calms down the brain and relaxes you. I tried it and it does work, although I'm still taking that 1/2 Ambien pill, which I would give the kingdom to get off of!
I try not to nap during the day because if I do I'm not sleepy at night. I seem to think about everything once my head hits the pillow. My grocery list, what I'm doing the next day, lists of to-do stuff around the house...if it can be planned or thought of, I'm doing it in bed at night instead of sleeping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Sleep the final frontier

I myself had noooooo problem sleeping in my life. I had four children other operations and no problem sleeping. To me it must be hormones to my Dr. she said " just wait till you get back into your routine and everything will be better". Well 8 weeks post-op and still not sleeping, I "m still taking 1/2 of a Ambien, but I don't want to be addicted to them, DR. not worried about it. Any one else on AMBIEN ! please help......

Bonnie
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Sleep the final frontier

Soy milk, Ovaltine, magnesium tablets, and hot herbal tea. All these things, have helped me get to sleep without reaching for the Ambien. I am completely amazed that it works so well. I've always tended to be a night owl, but post op, it got ridiculous. It was as if my body was stuck on Daylight mode. Night was never recognized.

Try a combination of these things, and you'll get your sleep. Take it from a 240lb woman who if she was taking some medicine, would max out the prescription. Oh, and lavendar helps too! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Sleep the final frontier

I am at my 6 week mark.. and at the 5 week one I started to have a hard time sleeping... four nights (as some of u probably remember me complaining) in a row i was awake. I tried speciality teas, hot showers, the list goes on and on.... I finally bought some Nytol sleep aid (over the counter) and it helped me some the first night. It was so nice to sleep before 6 am.... the last two nights haven't been as sucessful. I hear a lot of women talkin about the lack of sleep at about this point in recovery. It must have something to do with the surgery.

OHHH sweet dreams to us all!
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Sleep the final frontier

My doctor keeps telling the lack of sleep thing is a "post-surgery reaction" to the general, but gosh this is getting old.

I've been trying to take a nap for the past hour or so, but no luck.

Maybe it's the heavy rains that are keeping me awake now, though. The Bay Area is being hit by a big storm!

Take care, sisters.

Sue
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Sleep the final frontier

I have a non-scientific theory about insomnia. I'm a night person - if given the chance, I would prefer staying up until 2 or 3 a.m. Usually if I'm working, I go to bed around midnight and get up around 7 or 8 a.m.

Without fail, if I'm off from work for vacation (as I have been for the past three weeks) my bedtime gets later and later. This past week, I've been going to sleep at 3 to 4 a.m., and last night, I was awake until 6 a.m.!

When I had surgery, I noticed this same pattern. I started staying awake later and later, but when I went back to work, my sleep schedule quickly readjusted itself.

While I believe some post-op insomnia may be from hormonal shifts and medications we take, for some of us who are night owls anyway, I think it's just our internal clocks resetting themselves to our preferred sleep cycle.

Anyway, that's just my theory!

You might try some Tylenol P.M. or see if your doc will give you a prescription for Ambien. But I bet when you go back to work, you'll quickly readjust.

s

Lisa
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Sleep the final frontier

Shashi,

What's your theory for those of us who aren't sleep day or night...after 6 weeks even!

I've had just three naps since I came home from the hospital, and I'm only sleeping about 4 hours every 24. Not good. I'm a wreck.

BTW - Your cabin is lovely. Just went to look at the photos. Beautiful country.

Sue
Unread 01-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Sleep the final frontier

I am 1 year post-op and I still battle insomnia. I NEVER had issues before surgery with sleep. I fell asleep easily and soundly for 8-9 hrs./night.

Thanks for the suggestions you have all mentioned. I have tried them all except Ovaltine which I will be buying at the store today! I am currently taking Ambien and don't want to rely on it every night. I used it from last March - June and then backed off of it for the summer. I am a school teacher, so I had the luxury of sleeping in until 7-8 a.m. Then, when I returned to school, I was back to the sleepless nights. My body just can't handle getting up at 5:30 after waking up at 12 and or 3:00 a.m. (these seem to be my waking hours). I caved again in December and went back on Ambien. It has made a world of difference in how I function every day. My little PreKindergartners have my full attention now! So, for now, Ambien will need to be my friend during the school year, unless the combo. of Ovaltine, tea, and magnesium will work. Thanks for the suggestion.

A tip for those who enjoy a cocktail or two at night......definately avoid alchohol!!! Last night hubby and I celebrated my 1 year "hysterversary" with a bottle of champagne and wine with dinner. I knew I was gonna pay and was up all night. But, it was sooooooo worth it! We had a great night out and enjoyed every minute of it!
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Sleep the final frontier

I so want to sleep myself...I am having that clumpsy feeling from lack of sleep. I got up spilled a glass of water and ran into the wall. Do ya think I'm alittle off balance?
Karen
Unread 01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Sleep the final frontier

The insomnia usually DOES get better. I had it awful for maybe ten weeks post op. I am about 13 now, and finally, I am beginning to sleep again! I used the Calms Forte', and it helped some, but not much.

I have a few suggestions to help: Make sure you get in some nice moderate walking during the day. It helps healing, swelly belly, keeps you from getting too noodly, and expends some energy and helps with sleep.

Don't drink any caffeine if you can help it. If I have any after noon, I will find it hard to sleep. I don't know why, but I am much more sensitive to caffeine now after the surgery than I was before!

Don't eat for three hours before bedtime.

I tried everything, even ice cream before bed for the satiety stuff, and to make sure I was not getting too low blood sugar which can cause insomnia. Nothing worked! I guess I just got past it...I hope for all of you suffering sleeplessness, it clears up soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register