Extremely low White Blood Count/Fever | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extremely low White Blood Count/Fever Extremely low White Blood Count/Fever

Unread 01-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Extremely low White Blood Count/Fever

Hi,

I am four days post-op and wonder if anyone is had low white blood count problem/low grade fever. I had to stay at hospital additional day and they were hestitate to let me out yesterday. Suffering from alittle vertigo and food was hard to keep down. I have to go back for a CBC on Monday. Has anyone experienced this. What caused this? I was anemic prior to surgury. This vertigo was worse than the pain of the incision. I am gonna get more information from my doctor on Monday. The doctors seeing me at the hospital just seem concerned and never really explained how this happened. If anyone has any experience let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Hi CCrab,
I would guess the vertigo could be from a dropped blood pressure, the anesthetic or meds you are taking, or just getting up to quickly with a low blood count. The low white cell count in my opinion would be a good thing, indicating no infection, but too low would mean not fighting off infection. That could be from the anemia. however I would have thought that would be a low red count, but could be both. When you go to stand up or get up, make sure you move slowly, resting in between. For example, go from laying to sitting, wait a bit till you get your bearings, and then stand up very slowly, making sure you have something to hang on to. I also had vertigo but was not really sitting up, just rolling out of bed, and standing. Bad move my doc told me! So I had to take it slowly for a while and it did go away....

Hugs to you
KAt
Unread 01-03-2005, 04:32 AM

Hi ccrab48;
I'm sorry to hear you are having some problems. You are VERY early into your recovery and I can certanily understand your concerns.
I had an elavated white cell count for years. It is a sign that your body is trying to fight off an infection or some sort of an oddity in your body. (It could be as little as a cold). In my case it was due to the growths on my ovaries.
A LOW white cell count indicates you do not have enough to fight infection.
I also experience vertigo. That's no fun. It may be due to any pain medicines you are taking. I do suggest you report this to your doctor. It helps me to keep my head elavated when laying down. Of course take your time getting up as well, I have to sit for a minute to get my "legs back".
If you had trouble keeping down your food it may of been a reaction to your anesthesia. I have the same problems after surgery. It is awful, I know! Be sure to hold a pillow firmly to your tummy if you vomit to ease the pain.
Do you take any iron supplements for your anemia? If not, you may want to mention it to your doctor. I get extremely fatigued because of anemia. I can feel the difference if I don't take my iron.
Here is a link about anemia and iron:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97126

Are you using any HRT? I usually get headaches for the first couple of days after changing my patch.
Here is a link on headaches:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97116

Wow, from the sounds of everything we could be "twins" huh?

Make a list of concerns and questions to take to your doctor appointment. It will help you remember things you need to know. Bring a tablet with you to write down his answers too! I always have trouble remembering things when I get home to tell my husband.
Be sure to rest and drink plenty of water! Take short walks around the house to keep things moving inside. Be good to yourself, you only have one chance to heal so do it right!
I hope you start feeling better soon! keep us posted!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 09:11 AM
fever

I had low grade fevers for two weeks post op and my counts were all off too. I found that I came home with a bladder infection and probably because the catheter was in too long. I took my first round of antibiotics and noticed some improvement and then a couple days after finishing it I started with the low grade fevers again and then here came the annoying pain and right back on antibiotics. I had to call the doc on Christmas Eve for meds. It will get better.

'Love all, Serve all, All is One'
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
your whites

I would ask if the low whites are a med reaction- I personally react to many medications and the first thing my body does is drop the whites then get a fever. My body does this to phenobarbital which is in some anestesias- they hate putting me out due to reactions- but once the med is out of my system I go back up- for me this can become life threatening- I'd ask the doc to check the meds they have you with the PDR and see if low whites is common.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register