Slow moving and painful bowels | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Slow moving and painful bowels Slow moving and painful bowels

Unread 01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Slow moving and painful bowels

How long does this go on for? I'm five weeks post op (LAVH for 'broids and pelvic pain) and even though I have a very fruitful and vegetable laden diet, i'm still not going normally. Some days are just fine then I clog up for about three or four and it is so painful when the beasties finally come out and that's in in dribs and drabs!!

Sorry to have been so graphic in my descriptions but hey we are all in this together. Sounds like a song, tra la la!!

Happy, peaceful and joyous new year to one and all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Hi Sue,
I had issues with my bowels too and finally just before week 17 they woke up!! However dont take me as an example. I spent weeks with it just not moving so to speak. Some take longer, and it depends on how many balloon animals they made with them while there were in there!! Yes I believe they do that....(Hey look at this, I made a doggy with her large intestine!!)

Keep up with the water, dont strain, fruits and veggies, maybe throw in bran muffins or bran flakes, and keep on truckin. They will eventually wake up. Ask you doctor also what she/he suggests to help them get movin properly!!

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:14 PM

For me it was 2 months--almost to the day. Sometimes I had horrible episodes! Some people are lucky enough that eating a natural diet will do...others need "help". I took stool softners ( 4 per day) and that helped a lot. To get things started, I took Phillips Milk of Magnesia (non-stimulant). That stuff really is miraculous! I just used it once a week and the ss's did the job in between. After 2 months, I didn't need anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Harly Kat,

You owe me a new computer! I just spit tea all over mine.

ROTFL

Eubbie
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:33 PM

I too have the same potty problems. When my dr first discharged me from the hospital she sent me home with a prescription for Senna which works wonders but you take it at bedtime and dont plan on going anywhere in the morning...lol

When I went in for my 6 wk post op check this week I told her I was still having potty problems so she changed my prescription to Reglan which is something you take like a half hour before meals and at bedtime to get you and keep you going on a regular basis.

Some of you may want to consider asking your dr's about either of these as they are not harsh like over the counter laxatives,etc. I do not experience any cramping with either one. I did however have the WORST cramping when I needed to go but couldnt
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Bowel Obstruction

Hi Sue,

I'm 11 days TAH post-op and spent the first week in misery because of bowel issues. I ended up with a bowel obstruction, spending 7 hours in the ER, and a CT Scan! I think it was contributed to the morphine pump that I was on for 2 days at the Castle without being given any stool softners in the process and the Percoset that they sent me home with. (Castle didn't allow bringing any of your own meds in) They gave me 2 suppositories before I went home, I started Colace when I got here, then switched to a Vegetable Laxative which worked a little better, and ate my fruit and veggies, all for not. I was in soo much pain and the straining caused a small area of my incision to open up. I am now in relief stages, but the process wasn't fun. 2 enemas, Phillips of Magnesia (wonderful stuff), and doses of Metamucil later....I'm doing fine! I've also found that eating a bowl of Multi-Bran Chex cereal everyday is very helpful.

I can not imagine going 4 or 5 weeks and especially not 17 weeks without resolving this issue! Kudo's to you brave women out there! I'll keep you in my prayers Sue and I hope you find the relief you so desperately need. Maybe some of the remedies other woman have found will work for you. Keep the Faith!

Cndrella
Unread 01-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Oh My Eubbie, I almost did the same thing, except I succeeded in choking on mine when I read your post!!!

Kat
Unread 01-02-2005, 03:04 PM

I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones. On my third and last night in the hospital, I spent ALL night trying to go with little to no results. I had one hard donut hole sized BM and the rest was extremely loose and not too much either. (sorry for the graphics, but this is the stuff that hepls me on this site).
I was exhausted from all the trying. When I got home, I started using Metamucil wafers. They're like little cookies, not bad at all. You eat 2 with 8 oz. of water and within about 12 hours, off you "go". I don't eat them al the time and have begun to have regular BM's, sometimes 2-3 times a day. Not too much at once, but feeling good about it anyway.

Good luck to all of you,
Virginia
Unread 01-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Metamucil works well. I am a walking testament as to why you need to avoid constipation. I had some mild divertiulsosis a year ago and then several episodes of severe constipation--I was going through a stressful time at work and not eating well. The short of it is that is made the diverticulosis so bad that I needed surgery. I know that this is extreme but please be careful. I will be on Metamucil the rest of my life to prevent further problems. A small price to pay to avoid anymore surgery. I drink a glass of the sugar-free stuff once a day. It dissolves well and tastes like water-downed orange drink. Drink it fast as it will get thick if you sip it--then it is nasty.

I copied the following from a web-site--can't figure out how to bold it so I put it in quotes.

"Constipation makes the muscles strain to move stool that is too hard. It is the main cause of increased pressure in the colon. The excess pressure causes the weak spots in the colon to bulge out and become diverticula."
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Although I understand the joking reference to "balloon animals", as a former O.R. nurse who has participated in hundreds of surgeries, I want all of you to rest assured that surgeons do not "play" with our body parts while performing surgery. There is sometimes a general joking demeanor, (*not* at the expense of the patient), to reduce tension, but the surgeon and all other parties involved maintain the safety and dignity of the patient as their top priority.

That said, the constipation is generally caused by the trauma that our bowels are put through as organs get shifted around during abdominal surgery. Additionally, the combination of anesthesia, (which stays in our system for up to a week), and narcotic pain medications exacerbate the problem. Even after we stop taking the pain meds, we are less physically active during the first few weeks of recovery. Inactivity spurs on constipation too.

The problem is frustrating and painful, and, as was pointed out by another responder, potentially dangerous as it can lead to issues such as diverticulosis. Most of us will find relief with a diet high in fiber/bulk and *lots* of clear liquids to wash it through the system. It takes time. In the meantime, check with your to see what he recommends. Mine recommended Milk of Magnesia and Dulcolax suppositories. Remember that fiber can make problems *worse* if you don't drink enough to flush it through the system.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register