Going back to work....uggh! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work....uggh! Going back to work....uggh!

Unread 01-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Going back to work....uggh!

Well, I am going back to work in the morning and I am a little nervous about it. I work in a warehouse and lift heavy boxes and move around and bend a lot. Due to the bleeding and pain, I have been off work since July 1, 2003 while I waited for my blood levels to get up high enough to have my hysterctomy without having to have a blood transfusion. I had surgery Nov 19th and my six weeks was up on New Years Eve so tomorrow I am off to the workplace. I am afraid that I have gotten so out of shape from sitting around the house for six months, plus with the surgery that I am going to be in pain after a few hours. I have been trying to walk and exercise a little so that I can see how it's going to feel and ...so far, so good. I went back to the doctor on the twenty-third of December and the doc said I am fine and should not have any problems but that I still had about six vaginal stitches that haven't disolved.

I just wanted to post and let everone at this site know how much I have appreciated finding this site and the wealth of info and support. I would have never had such an easy recovery without this site to dig through. Every problem or question I have had has been answered by someone at this site. Thanks from the bottom of my heart! It was a far harder thing to recover from than I ever imagined! I hope you all have a wonderful, pain-free new year and an excellent recovery!

Deelyte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 02:55 PM

i had surgery the same day and have been approved for work aswell. I must say i am a little hesitant I think i am ready but my hubby does not (or any of his family) for the first three days of the week my job also requires alot of lifting and bending and i to have become very out of shape over the last 6 weeks my first day back is tuesday
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:23 PM

DANG! I wish both of you the best at work. If it were me, I would be nervous as all get out!

I went back this past Wednesday for a 2-day work week. I have an office job that does not require any physical exertion, it's a slow time of year so there wasn't much mental exertion, and my coworkers are going out of their way to make things easy for me. Still, Wednesday afternoon at 4:00, it felt like my incision was rubbed raw and I was beat! That evening, I was tired and sore. Thursday was better (we got to go home early, too).

My recovery has been remarkably smooth - no oozing at the incision, no terrible pain, no bleeding or spotting. I've kept active and busy, walking a mile on a treadmill 4~5 times a week, so my reaction to 8 hours of computer work and filing surprised me.

Best of luck to you! I hope your return to work goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 05:32 PM

I own a treadmill and tried to walk on it, but could only manage 1.5 miles per hour for 10 minutes. I used to do 3.5 miles per hour for 30 minutes! When did you feel well enough to walk on the treadmill? Did you increase your speed and duration gradually? I have my 4 week post op appointment on Jan. 11 and I was hoping to return to my desk job 20 hours per week for a couple of weeks.
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:00 PM

It is so hard but I am right now I'm trying to get mentally prepared for 1st day back tomorrow. It maybe wouldn't be as hard if the job I'm in is an unhappy one at the moment. We're facing surplus after surplus due to lack of work. It is so boring to meet your objectives they've set when you don't have much work to do. So, if you don't meet your objectives, another way to get rid of you..............Oh the world of telecommunications. I don't really play the lottery but told my husband to go out and buy me a ticket and maybe I'll win and not ever have to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, then again chances are I'll be up and about at 5 a.m. tomorrow to get to work by 7. I'm on half days the 1st three days of the week. So, so thankful for that!

I pray that all will go well with all that are returning to work this week. I know the hardest part is getting there. Once I'm there, I know I'll be fine!!!!!!
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Oh Me too...

Tomorrow is the day. DH and I took a long walk today followed by a nap. That felt really good. He is making Posole and I am making chicken soup so we have meals all week. I am nervous but what I have learned is that my health comes first. If I can't do it I will come home. I will do the best I can with what I've got.
I work in a fast paced stressful admissions office for a local college. I'm the supervisor. I know my staff will help out as much as possible but I also know my boss has tremendous pressure on her which will be a challenge as it passes on down to me! But, I'm ready - the fall I took earlier in the week has reminded me of my limitations and I don't want to be falling at work - so my new years resolution is - once a princess, always a princess!! I'll be takin' it one step at a time for along time

Love you all
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:42 PM

i too am returning tomorrow and boy am i nervous. i don't know how i am going to get through a day of teaching. i will miss my sleeping in, naps, and walks during the day. i am most nervous about getting fatigued after 4 or 5 hours.

i hope all of you who are returning tomorrow have a fantastic day!!!

J
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:55 PM

Hi everyone

Nearly 3 weeks since my TAH (12/14), and a couple of weeks from tomorrow until I have to return to work (teaching music at a liberal arts college). i have a lot to do before I return to work (reading, planning syllabi, etc.) but have absolutely no motivation, and my continued tiredness and short attention span makes me wonder how I'll manage to be ready when the time comes. I don't have to do anything extra-strenuous such as some of the women in the Hystersisters community, but still have to stand for some teaching, play piano, sing (my voice and breathing are still not back to normal, especially after the intubation) and teach singing, conduct (standing for long rehearsals), work at the computer, etc. I don't know how I'm going to muster the energy to get through the day. Without an "obvious injury" (such as needing to wear a cast) I'm not sure how my colleagues will perceive and understand the lack of energy and stamina I have, although they know precisely what surgery I had (and came to see me in the hospital or at home--very much appreciated). I hope I'll have the sense and feeling of freedom to ask for help when I need it. It's tough starting the semester, though, and my colleagues will be working hard too. I guess I'm nervous and ambivalent, and wonder whether I'll really be able to start teaching at only 4 weeks post-op. Have any of you out there returned to full-time teaching (or something similar) after only a month of recuperation? How did you do it?

The other things keeping me from feeling great about returning to teaching (and hampering my motivation) are: I found out a week before my surgery that I didn't get tenure (an obviously financial decision rather than merit-based), and my father's rapidly declining mental and physical health has been a major stressor too. It is pretty clear that he will only live a few more months, if that (he has heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver with hepatic encephalopathy, severe sleep apnea, renal insufficiency, malnutrition (illness-related) and other problems, for those of you who know what all this implies), and he lives a long way from here (about 1000 miles). It was depressing not to be able to travel to see him for Christmas as usual. Too much to think about..................

Well, I've rambled a bit here, but appreciate the chance to join in with feelings of worry about going back to work.

Good luck to all of you, especially if you're heading back to the job tomorrow!

kirinphoebe
Unread 01-03-2005, 06:04 AM

Well ladies, it's unfortunate but I did not make it back to work today. My 14 yr old DS got sick and upchupped all in the bathroom, floor, wall and everything!!!!! UUUUGGGG!!! I already was feeling a little woozy myself and was awake every hour on the hour last night. As I was getting ready for work, I heard him running and gagging and thought........OMG, he's sick!!! And to help him clean it up made me even sicker!! So, I'll be home using 2005 vacation time and try it again tomorrow!!!!! It's a good thing he doesn't go back to school until tomorrow. God bless!!

Rumart
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Work woes also

Good evening. I am located in Illinois. I hope everyone is having a blessed New Year. I want to make this short, but detailed.
I relocated here from KY. I have had anemia problems in the past, and was told by a proffesional to "GET A HYSTERECTOMY". I did not. I went through the hormones stuff too. I still stayed anemic,moody, everything. I am 38 years old, had 4 children all c-sections, but lost one to SIDS. I have NEVER had any problems from my surgeries. When I relocated to Illinois, I found a doc who is sooooooo great. She stated this would be the last resort. I thought about this, and was going to go with hormonal therapy Again!!!I could not do it. I MADE the decision. I was tired of hurting,even after a dnc my menses decreased, but the pain became worse. I was losing too much, and became even more weaker. My blood count dropped so low, that the surgery was rescheduled. I also gave permission to remove ovary is something was wrong. What was found was the endometriosis,scar tissue on tube and ovary. I was scheduled only for removal of uterus. I have one ovary left. Sometimes i get hot flashes, but not alot. I have problems with my bowels. I am scheduled to return to work tomorrow, but I am not mentally nor physically ready, and I have urinary problems that feel like the catheter is still there. Can someone please give me some advice? I feel like my job (I work at a cable company lifting converters and equipment) has pressured me into coming back to work, yet I still am hurting? Please give me some type of advice!!!My mom passed away 6 years ago, and she had went through the EXACT same thing, (she had 4 c sections, and one child passed as well)and was scheduled for a partial hysterectomy (They believe she passed from LOW blood and had a stroke...she was only 56). This is another reason why I went through with this.
Sorry so long!!!!I just need some advice about what I am feeling and how I am feeling............
Hurting/Depressed in Illinois
P.S.---I AM NOT READY TO GO BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!My doctor had recommended that I walk the treadmill a little every day to help me with the depression, and she had stated that my procedure usually has a 6-8 week recovery. She even mentioned to me that it takes about 3 to 6 months before a women feels like herself. I was scheduled to go in today, but cannot without the "proper doctors release". She also stated I would still feel pain on the inside healing. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register