A question about TAH/TVH and partial | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question about TAH/TVH and partial A question about TAH/TVH and partial

Unread 01-02-2005, 03:21 PM
A question about TAH/TVH and partial

Just a question-I had a TAH/BSO on Dec 21st. My dr. told me that TAH or TH meant Total Hysterectomy as in cervix, ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes removed on both sides, and that the middle initial A or V meant abdominal or vaginal---How these organs were removed. If not all is taken then it is a partial hysterectomy.

But on this board I see some ladies refer to a TH or TVH or TAH and then comment that they still have an ovary/cervix, etc.

Which is the correct term? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 03:53 PM

My DR told me that I would be having a total hyst wich included the uterus and the cervix. I asked about the ovaries he said that that they were not considered part of the hyst. Being that if the DR can save the ovaries then the woman will not be forced in to early menapause.

Just passing on what was to me ...

Angel314
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:34 PM

This is a common misconception - even doctors get it confused. (My own GP made the same mistake!)

A total hysterectomy refers to removal of the uterus and cervix. A partial hysterectomy refers to removal of just the uterus, leaving the cervix. Removal of the ovaries and tubes would be a salpingo-oophorectomy (abbreviated BSO for "bilateral" if both ovaries and tubes are removed or RSO or LSO if just the right or left ovary and tube are removed.)

Hope this helps. It's really amazing how confusing this can be!

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 05:08 PM
TAH/TVH/TH

I work as a transcriptionist at a area hospital and have also had a TVH. The TVH stands for total hysterectomy as you thought with the A as abdominal and V for vaginal. As a hysterectomy that is all that is taken uterus and sometimes cervix. Hyster- in the medical form means uterus and ectomy means removal of. When it comes to the ovaries you will see BSO or right or left SO. this means bilateral salpingooophorectomy or right or left salpingooophorectomy. Salpingo meaning ovary and either bilateral or right or left. Hope this helps.

Tina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register