Oh to sleep again! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh to sleep again! Oh to sleep again!

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Oh to sleep again!

I think I need to join the sleepless club too... My name is Kim & I am sleepless in Wisconsin. I had my ovaries removed on 12/16, the first week I slept about 5-6 hrs during the night w/ an hour nap. Then my sleep @ night changed to about 3-4 hours and now I am down to about 2 hrs of sleep. I think part of my problem may be pain... I have an open incison which is causing termendus pain. My pain pill only seems to last about 3 hrs and I can only take one every 4-6 hrs.

I have not been falling asleep until 2 am... DH gets up @ 4am and tries not to disturb me until 4:30, but most of the time I wake before his alarm goes off. After he leaves for work I listen to the news & try to fall back to sleep, if I am lucky I may ketch another hour of sleep.

My body is exausted, but it's like my mind will not let me sleep. I would try the olvitine Idea, but I am lactose intolarnt. After my LAVH in 8/03 I also had problems sleeping so I thought, I was only sleeping about 5 hrs a night, but this is worse.

I know when I was a child & had mono, I could not sleep also, I would only get about 2 hrs a night, body was dead tired, but I could not sleep. It seems I have a hard time sleeping when I am ill.

I go to the doctor today & plan on letting him know that I am not sleeping.

I hope & pray that the fairy sleep dust will reach us all soon & give us all the sleep our healing bodys need.

Sleepless in Wisconsin,
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh to sleep again!

Kim,
Let us know if your Dr gives you any suggestions OTHER than meds. I would love to hear any and all ideas. I can't wait to sleep again!
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Oh to sleep again!

Oh! For the lactose intolerant, use Soy Silk. I started out my sleepless odyssey with soy milk and discovered it is truly my friend. Something about soy helps out with the balancing out of haywire estrogen. I believe it kick started my ovaries to working again. I try to suck back at least 3 cups of the stuff a day. I am partial to the chocolate flavor for drinking straight, but I put the plain into my tea. Celestial Seasonings has some tea variety called Tension Tamer. When I begin my shutting down ritual towards sleep I drink a teapot full of the stuff. Then a half hour before I intend to sleep I drink the hot Ovaltine and knock back two of the Magnesium.

If I didn't have to go to the bathroom last night, i believe I would have slept the whole night through. But I have to swear by the Ovaltine. i was truly sceptical about it working. But it makes sleep within reach and my hubby is telling me I am out before him because he has to reach for his earplugs - I saw major logs when I do sleep.

That sleep suggestion list is to be found at http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mecfs/general/sleep.html

It speaks of making your sleep mission a ritual. It made me stop smoking a few hours before sleep, cut out sweets and sugar (aside from the minor amount in Ovaltine) and think about making sleep more of an active pursuit, rather than letting my hormones keep me awake until dawn each night. I'm starting work tomorrow and I believe my doctor was right...more activity will make it easier for me to sleep. I hope this helps.

Last night, I wound up breaking down and taking a hot shower as well with a lavendar salt scrub. Lavendar is almost like knock out gas sometimes. Good luck, hystersisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Oh to sleep again!

I am 2 weeks post-op and for the last 4 days straight I had been pretty sleepless. SOOOOO I went back to my hosiptal schedule. They woke me up at 9 (to take meds & eat) they woke me up at 12:30 (med & lunch) and woke me up again at 5:30 (meds & food). Well I am NOT taking the meds but I am eating on a better schedule. I rode in a car for about 20 mins and came back and was EXHASTED!! Try that.
I walked to the mailbox (in my apartment complex) 2 times throughout the day & when I came back I took a nap.
Last night I went to sleep around 1. Which is better than 3. Then woke up at 9:00. I just walk around then read then watch TV then do a crossword puzzle.
I was told if you are resting and not sleeping you are still OK but if you feel tired I am not sure what you should do.
SORRY!

Good Luck Sisters
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
sleep or the lack of

hi all! i am 16 days post op, and im so glad im not the only one not sleeping, its like your eyelids arent heavy at all, you close them and "blink" up they come! lol i do find tho that im not tired from not sleeping and rarely take a nappie. i do miss sleep tho we used to get along real good. i have a call into a close friend that mixes herbs, ill post what she suggests later. i am going to try the ovaltine tho too! why not, if no sleep the sugar buzz may be worth it! lol
good luck to all, take care
mileemaerose

tah/bso 12-20-04
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Finally

Hi Everyone!

I am 6 weeks out today and I finally slept last night AND took a nap this morning. Granted, I took an Ativan last last night and slept from about 11:30 - 6:30 this morning. So the drug may have helped. Plus, my exSO "let" the kitty sleep with me...and she snuggle up all night. This morining I went back to sleep for an hour. Now I feel great.

Let's hope I'm onto a new pattern. Good luck to all my sleepless sisters.

Hugs,
Sue
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh to sleep again!

I saw the GYn today & wanted so much to ask for his imput on the sleep issue, as since Tueday 2 am to present I have only slept 7 or 8hrs... I think its been 3 days... I can't focus much right now, but I am not tired. VIsit did not go as planed & left mad about another issue so I never got to ask about sleep.. But just wanted to let you know that sleepless in wisconsin is still wide awake....

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register