Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Unread 01-12-2001, 12:14 PM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Hi Ladies,

It doesn't seem possible that it was ony a few weeks ago when I found this site and did my first post. I had so many questions and concerns. I got some real good tips about how to prepare and what to expect. Well......very little turned out the way I expected. So many people had said the gas pains were the worse part that I was totally unprepared for the pain at the incision site. It actually took my breath away. I never got to use most of the items in my suitcase. I never got off IV's and using my own nities was nearly impossible. I finally got to walk on the 2nd day because the resident told me that if the nurses didn't come to take me for a walk, unplug myself and escape. I got my private room but still was unable to sleep for more than an hour straight. I was discharged without having my first bowel movement.

Well, here I am 1 week later. I feel great and find it was no problem at all living alone with the preparation I had done before I went in. I had a one week visit with my doctor today and he was happy to tell me that the path report said there was a Pre-malignant thingy (forget his words) high up in the cervix. No cancer yet but may have turned into cancer had we let it go and just continued to "watch it". He also said I can drive. (one week!) Also told me to get out and walk and that I should not feel confined to the house.

So there you have it. A very well respected GYN-Oncology doctor in a very well respected teaching hospital. I will continue to take it easy. Not bend, vacuum, etc. I will drive when I have to, but only on local secondary streets. I have another appointment with him next Thursday.

All in all, I feel great. It's over and it worked out for me. Thank you all for your support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2001, 12:29 PM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Em sounds like yu've got it all under control! Glad to hear that no cancer was found, bet that's a huge relief.Keep up the good work , and don't overdo it. We tend to push ourselves when we start to feel better, and then get a suprise, when we get tired. So take care, listen to your body, it knows best. Drink plenty of fluids, take a little nap, or lie down with a good book! Love To You! Roz
Unread 01-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Glad to hear you're doing well. I, too, discovered most of what you did at the hospital. They wouldn't let me use my own heating pad (gave me one on 3rd day). They wouldn't let me take my Gas-X (gave me something else). They did let me use my own panti-liners (theirs were HUGE!) which I didn't really need anyway. They did let me put on my own jammies (with camisole underneath) which felt wonderful. They didn't let me wear my own socks into OR (put those thigh-high tight white ones on which kept my feet warm enough). I never used any make-up -- couldn't see the point! I did "read" (LOL) all my magazines then left them for the nurses. I couldn't eat my hard candy, so I left it for the nurses. And, finally, my midsection is killing me, along with my back. I'm trying to either lay down (hurts) or walk (hurts), so I'm glad to hear there's hope that it'll ease up. And, I started on the stool softeners today in anticipation of the first one. So far, haven't had anything solid that would cause one! But, the dr's office called and said that I could start adding a little solid food. If it hurts like the gas pains, I'm not sure I want to, but I will anyway.

Take care . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2001, 05:44 PM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Em - Welcome home Everyone's hospital stay is different, that's for sure. Rest, rest, rest...and take it slow and easy.
Unread 01-12-2001, 06:35 PM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Em Welcome home! I'm 1 day ahead of you and feeling alot better than I thought I would. Wow you can drive after 1 week I'm amazed. My gyn-oncologist said no driving until 4 weeks in my truck (automatic) and 6 wks in my car (standard). I went to my pcp today to have my catheter removed and she again gave me the driving lecture not that I needed it I don't feel like it yet. Congrats on no cancer I haven't gotten my final path yet but dr didn't think there would be anymore than what we knew (Stage 1A2). Good luck and rest, rest then rest some more
Unread 01-12-2001, 07:47 PM
Great Report

Hi Em. Good to see you posting. All us ladies in waiting need to know that this waiting is the hardest part. I know how independent you are and I'm just real happy this worked out for you so well.

Love from Florida,

Unread 01-13-2001, 08:06 AM
Dr's visit- 1 wk Post Op

Thanks for your replies. I admit to being real surprised when he told me I could drive. Yesterday's visit involved no more than him checking the incision and pulling off about half the steri strips. He said no stitches to remove, as there is just one continuous stitch there all the way across with the tape holding it together.

He did tell me to walk outside or to have someone take me to the mall to walk. Since yesterday was the first nice day in a long time, I took the dog and walked to the rotary about a 1/2 block down. When I got home I called the dog groomer because I noticed a strong odor from her. They were able to take her right away, so I drove her there. Only a couple of miles @25MPH. I picked her up a couple of hours later. So that was my day...the dr's, a short walk, a ride to the groomers. I lay down at some point and was awakened when my stepson called at 6:30PM. The bed was still made and I was on top of the spread with a blanket over me. I got a little something for supper then returned to the bed. I remember watching Providence on TV and that was the last thing until 7AM this morning when I woke up again, still on top of the bedspread with my robe on and the TV and lights on! I guess that little bit of activity during the day caused all that "make up" sleep. I do feel good, though, and will get some walking in today. I'm in the Northeast and we've had some pretty cold wind-chills but they say we can expect a nice couple of days.

Kathy, I'll be thinking of you. Good luck to the rest who are waiting and good health to the newly punctured.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register