dehissing - incision opening | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dehissing - incision opening dehissing - incision opening

Unread 01-03-2005, 12:01 PM
dehissing - incision opening

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this complication and how long it took for thier recovery. I am 4 weeks post op, having a TAH, I got pnumonia on my second day in the hospital and then on my sixth day when they went to remove the staples I started bleeding heavily from the incision and the whole 9 inch incision opened up. it was very traumatic and I am still having home health care for packing and dressing the wound. I have also
gotten two tunnels that are stopping the incision from healing.
I am very nervous and somewhat depressed that the healing of
the incision is taking so long! Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 12:27 PM

My incision did the same thing.....I'll be 4 weeks post op on wednesday. My wonderful husband has done all the packing because i dont think i could have looked let alone reached it to clean it well. I dont have any problems with tunnels but i do have a problem with the edges........one side is healing faster than the other so i have a inch to inch and a half (ledge) my dr looked at it last week and said its normal...........and the other side will catch up...and level out. I've cried several times over this but for the past couple of days i've been trying to stay calm. I'll be glad when the packing is done....I had alot of problems with the tape comming off and on so many time that i had burns on my belly...my husband bought 3 inch tape and kinda made a square around the incision so now he attaches the tape to that instead of my skin...this way the three inch tape stays on always and i dont get burns from tearing the old tape off.

Keep Healing

Unread 01-03-2005, 12:45 PM
dihissing - incision opening

When I had my surgery, my wound also opened up. I felt like I was going to lose all of my "innards". My doctor told me that I would have to heal from the inside out, and that this would add additional time to the process. I was home with home nursing for over 6 weeks before the wound was healed sufficiently for me to do the packinig and cleaning myself. It was frustrating, I was bored, and I was angry... why did this have to happen to me? But I have since learned that this often times happens to people who are overweight (I am quite overweight) and it has nothing to do with what I've done or didn't do in taking care of myself post-op.
This I've rediscovered as a patient.
Now, as a nurse (I am an LVN in California) I can tell you that the wound will heal, but like all things it will take time. The time that you now have can be viewed as a gift to start that book you've always wanted to read (or write) or that afghan that you've always wanted to knit or crochett. These wounds do heal, but they do take time - so take heart. You're not alone.
Been through the same thing -

Carol Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Yup, my entire wound opened up! It opened at nearly 2 weeks (when staples were removed) and now at almost 10 weeks I am nearing closure. I too had a fistula which had to close before the wound could be allowed to close.
Enquire into the use of a silver impregnated wound packing as it has amazing anti-microbial properties and also encourages new tissue growth!
If you want more detailed info on my wound packing and healing please feel free to pm me or email me
(oops! your e-mail address was removed to protect your privacy)

happy healing

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register