Cancer & Hormones...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer & Hormones...... Cancer & Hormones......

Unread 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Cancer & Hormones......

[CANCER & HORMONES.....]
TAH & BSO ON 11/15/04 DIAGNOSIS: ENDOMETRIAL ADENOCARCINOMA, FIBROIDS, PASSING LARGE BLOOD CLOTS, BLEEDING MOST EVERY DAY FOR 15 YEARS, SHOOTING LEG PAINS/CRAMPS.
QUESTION: For those of you who had your TAH due to cancer as I did, what are you doing for menopausal symptoms ? (if anything) ? I haven't had night sweats or hot flashes but sure do have emotional mood swings i.e. crying, etc. I'm on nothing by way of HRT/ERT or even herbal remedies. Wondering if any of you are taking something that works for those of us who went through this surgery due to cancer. I'm a little over 6 weeks post op and feeling great otherwise, wound healed, vaginal fluids finally stopped gushing and I return to work in 3 weeks. God bless you all, thanks for caring !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Cancer & Hormones......

Hi Ava. I had your diagnosis, with endo. ca. I am taking nothing because I can't have HRT. I'm fine. The first ten days of so after the surgery, I had drenching night sweats. but I don't have them any more. I feel so much better than before I had my surgery. I was always bleeding, my panties always in a "wad" literally, due to giant sized maxis, and always something or other coming out of there. Now, it's clean and dry and very nice, I must say.

Did you have radiation/chemo? I'm getting radiation. I'm scared.

I cried a little a few times the first few weeks. Nothing anymore, though. I'm happy to be through with all of it.
Unread 01-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Clean and Dry now.........

Hi LA41950 ! Thanks for responding so quickly. I couldn't agree with you more that the "clean and dry" feeling is better than bloody messes with cramps !! Yahooooey !!

Can you tell me WHY you can't take an HRT? I've heard all the horror stories about them anyway and do not want to take them. Wondering if it's possible to get through menopause without anything though (herbal or otherwise) ?? I'm 48, 6 weeks post op, endo CA Stage 1-b, Grade III.

No radiation yet but my oncologist says internal radiation is coming up. I'm not scared of it though and don't want you to be, even though I've not been through it. Look at what you and I have been through!! We can do anything now........Remember that ! Ava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Cancer & Hormones......

Hi Ava:

My cancer was not in the same location as yours. Mine was endo cervical adeno carcinoma. I can share with you what my Oncologist told me. HRT is not an option. I've asked him about the over the counter meds/black cohosh and he told me he would rather me not take them. He said even though they were over the counter they were still estrogen driven.

My only symptoms have been the hot flashes and some days they come more than others (not sure why) and dry skin. Taking no hormones is doable and I'm feeling fine.

I wish you the best.

Love and Prayers,
Donna
Unread 01-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Cancer & Hormones......

I just hit my year anniversary of my TAH/BSO for IA/II endometrial cancer. My doctor told me from the get go that hormones were contraindicated for me as well. Was doing pretty good for the first 6 months post op, then bingo I developed severe anxiety and panic; was literally an emotional wreck. My doctor told me this likely happened because I probably at this point depleted any reserves of hormones I had. I entered a week long day treatment program to get a handle on all of this, and with the combination of counseling which I still see a therapist every few months and a low dose of Paxil, I feel just about my old emotional self again. My only regret is that I did not pay closer attention to my escalating anxiety and get the necessary intervention earlier before I ended up in an emotional crisis state. Having a hysterectomy is tough enough, but adding the cancer component to it is heavy emotional stuff for all of us to deal with. So I suggest to those who are in the early diagnosis and post op stages, to have a battle plan in place by discussing with your doctors acceptable treatment modalities in the event you develop conditions related to surgical menopause.
Unread 01-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Cancer & Hormones......

Hi Ava,

I had a TAH/BSO on 19th November 2004 due to severe atypical uterus lining. I've been told by my gyn that HRT is not an option for me due to the pre-cancer diagnosis.

I'm 47 and had no menopause symptoms before my op. I've been really lucky so far - just a few night sweats (although my dh says i've also got a bad dose of the mood swings too).

Having read different threads regarding natural oestrogen products possibly not being good due to cancer risks, i'm leaving well alone until I see my gyn on 18th January.

Hope you can sort things out soon.

Geraldine
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:16 AM
thanks everyone....

For all your input on the cancer & hormone delimna. Latest medical news I'm reading in various periodicals online state that there never WAS a valid reason to tell women they couldn't take ERT/HRT after hyst/CA ! The philosophy is now that women without hormones should be on an HRT, regardless of the diagnosis of cancer. This is why I asked the question to begin with, to see if anyone was actually told by their doctor that they can't be on an HRT and WHY.
Personally, I'm scared to death to take one and most likely will go the natural route without even herbal remedies (unless things get worse) to get through this.
If you get a chance, read some of the opinions of the latest medical reports about this subject. Very interesting. Thanks again for your opinions, they really do help one to get through this ! God bless, Ava
Unread 01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Cancer & Hormones......

Hi Ava,

I had a TAH/BSO this summer, along with the lovely Ovarian Cancer diagnosis. I cannot take hormones due to the fact that my tumor was estrogen receptive. which means that if I take hormones, especially estrogen, the tumor could grow back..estrogen *could* encourage new growth. So, that's why I"m doing the menopause thing cold turkey. So far, so good....night sweats on occasion, definet hot flashes....but I've been pretty steady as far as moodswings go (ha! steady by who's judgement? No , seriously, I think I"m much calmer than I was previously).

There is a forum on this website called "No Hormone Desert Jungle" for women who can't take hormones for one reason or another. The description is:

Welcome to the No Hormone Desert. We hope you share our excitement and enthusiasm here with the creation of Hyster Sisters' newest forum. This board is for women who for whatever reason can't take HRT or NHRT (cancer, blood clots, allergies, etc.) and are seeking the illusive oasis in the desert. Whew! it gets hot here. Use this message board to ask other women what has helped them. We also invite women to share with us what has worked to help with their symptoms of menopause. We'll continue to search for articles regarding surviving menopause without hormones and either post those articles here or direct you to them. For those of you taking HRT or NHRT, please continue posting in the Hormone Jungle--however, feel free to gather information here. Please be sure to check with your physician before taking any new medications and/or vitamins, as s/he will know what is best for your particular issue.

Might be something for you to look into

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...php?forumid=34

good luck!
K9
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi Geraldine ;)

I just want to send you continuing encouragement... I have not been back on this wonderful site for over 3-4 years now... I will soon be five year post TAH/bso ( Uterine Cancer) I feel great...and hope you continue to do so... when I was surfing tonight I read your post and it sounded just like me almost five years ago now. I too had the atypical cells etc with not to many problems other than very pale spotting that was watched.....did change Gyns and the second one was my Godsend ifyouwill... and to date take NO HRT. Few hot flashes in the beginning but that faded -- nothing layering with sweaters and removing them didn't cure... but I think I was fortunate this way.. and I steer clear of any hormone related "help" KY seems to help in that arena so far.... I do take added calcium supplements for bone health.....and my last bone scan proved it had helped... but have my next scan a year from now... every two years....The only remaining issue I do have is I never pass a bathroom I didn't like lol ;0)))) never WAIT anymore......never enough time if I do lol....hope to hear back from you... keep your spirits high and you will do fine!! Carole p.s. this site was a BLESSING... for me as I happened upon it by accident.... Love all the ladies who started this fine program....
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Cancer & Hormones......

Hello Carole S

It's great to hear from someone who had their cancer five years ago and come back on the site to share their story.

I've been told by my gyn that the uterus lining was severe atypical. I was presuming that this isn't quite cancer. I see my gyn for follow-up next Tuesday so i'll ask her to confirm this, but in the meantime was your diagnosis uterine cancer plus atypical cells or were you told they were the same thing?

It's nice to know you're still doing OK with the hormones. I'm still having the sweats and hot flushes at night times but that's all, so I can live with that!

Hope you decide to stay with us here, i'm sure you'll have plenty of help and advice for us newly post-op ladies.

Geraldine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register