what was your first day after surgery like? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what was your first day after surgery like? what was your first day after surgery like?

Unread 01-04-2005, 12:21 PM
what was your first day after surgery like?

Let's see. My day of surgery was pretty long. I went into surgery about four hours late. I did get versed before and remember talking alot about silly things. Had a spinal (not the type that is left in). I think I vaguely remember being in the OR and seeing a bunch of drs and nurses w/ the masks and caps. I couldn't tell who was who and really didn't care w/ the versed.

I woke up and was surprised w/ a tah and lap incisions and my appendix gone. The surgery was 3 hrs w/ one hour in recovery afterwards. I don't remember much except that I commented about not being able to breath very well. I think it was just nerves though. I had oxygen and the nurses started me on shots of demerol and something else. The night nurse was really good and nice. SHe kept checking on me the first night. I think my surgery was so long and I came out looking pretty bad. I was on the pediatric floor. In this hospital, they normally put the hysterectomy patients on the mother/baby floor but it was full. The ped floor was pretty full too but the nurses were very attentive, especially the night nurse I had. SHe was my nurse all three nights and I was grateful for that. I need to send her a thank you note because she kept me feeling ok w/ meds and encouraged me to walk more and do the breathing exercises.

I got my catheter out and the oxygen off the next day and kept the IV until Friday I think. I think I just layed around, flexed my feet like they told me, they did get me up and showed me a way to get myself out of bed because it was very painful. I did walk around the first day some. I also remember taking the percocet for the first few times. I was semi laying back and choked a little on it and on the water. The day after is mostly a blur but I did remember my diet that day was liquid only.

Then on Friday my doctor was out of town so the on call dr came in and checked on me. Told me I could start eating (he didn't come until noon so I was ready.) I ended up staying until Friday. Dr and nurse said I could decide and I didn't feel that I was ready to go home at 7PM at night. That night did more walking around, even went to the cafeteria late at night w/ my dh. He was there off and on Thurs and off and on Fri. I did have two visitors and they stayed a long time.

I remember reading a post to put off visitors except family until you get home. I totally agree. My mom and two visitors were there and that was a bad idea. I hurt and was so tired by the time they left that it was difficult the rest of the day.

Just remember that the memories will fade and w/ the meds you won't remember everything, especially the pain. Just ask the right questions before the surgery. My anesthesiologist was good and I made sure that I had nausea meds if needed and everything that would help to keep that pain away. The spinal meds were great. Not at all like when I had an epidural. I could still move around, no numbing the legs, and it helped the other meds for the first 24 hrs. Also, there was nothing left in, just a shot. I had versed so I didn't feel the shot either.

Good luck and don't worry about the surgery or the day after. I am almost to my five week mark and am doing much better. I have had a few glitches but nothing horrible. Time has gone by fast.

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 12:55 PM

The day OF my surgery was not too bad. Surgery was scheduled for 9:00, actually began at 10:00. By afternoon I felt very little pain and quite good in general. Tried to eat jello at dinner time and began a long vomiting spell (about 12 times over 12 hours). Once that happens, the other things that cause your stomach to hurt don't seem too bad...I got out of bed around midnight so they could change my sheets and it was all improvement from then on. The morphine in my pump is what was making me vomit, so it was stopped around noon on day 1 post op and I got a demerol injection for any pain. Totally turned around after that! Had my liquid dinner that night, small bowel movement, liquid breakfast in the morning, took a walk, showered, had a FULL lunch, walked some more and then was sent home!

I had wonderful nurses my entire stay (Tues am through Thurs pm) and my whole experience was less painful and so much better than what I anticipated! The vomiting was the only "bad" part! Even through all that, I was amazed at how much better I felt only a few hours after I came out of recovery!

~Tammy
Unread 01-04-2005, 05:57 PM

I got back to my room about 3PM. I told my husband to go home as it had been a long day for him. I thought I'd sleep all night but couldn't. My back killed me and I had wicked headaches. The nurses yelled at me all night about not getting out of bed and walking. I couldn't even figure out how to roll over. I remember ling in bed crying. There were no nurses in sight. I wouldn't recommend the week between Christmas & New Years for surgery! The next AM a tech came in and asked if I wanted help washing. I said yes. She helped me out of bed to the chair and I instantly felt better. I asked her if I could get some Tylenol and get off the morphine. She went and checked and broght me some. I washed in a basin, got the catheter out, ate a bit of a liquid diet and slept in the chair a lot. I was afraid to get back in the evil bed so I stayed in the chair till 10PM. I had my husband help me to the bathroom before he left. I had to get up every 1/2 hour that night to pee so I just got back in the chair. It was easier. There sure wern't any helpful nurses around! My roommate had a colostomy and would make naked dashes across the room spewing bodily fluids everywhere. It would have been entertaining but it hurt to laugh.

Really though, each day was much better than the last and they all beat that first night by a longshot!! The hospitals are really good at pain control and they have a lot of options. The next time I'd skip the morphine. I was tempted to have an epidural but was afraid of the headache I could get. It couldn't have been worse so I guess it wouldn't have mattered.

Good luck
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 06:18 PM

THE DAY AFTER MY SURGERY WAS NOT TO BAD. I WAS NOT SICK AT ALL. ONLY HAD ICE CHIPS. DONOT DRINK ANYTHING. DO EXACTLY AS THEY TELL YOU AND YOU WILL BE FINE. I WAS SO SCARED AT FIRST THEN THE DAY CAME AND IT WAS NOT THAT BAD. THEY ROLLED MY ON MY BACK AND SIDES EVERY 30 MINUTES. THE IV CAME OUT AT 10:00 AND THE MORPHINE DRIP TOO. THEN THE CATHIOUR (SPELLING)CAME OUT WHICH DOES NOT HURT AT LL.I WAS UP WALKING BY 11AM THAT MORNING. THE MORE YOU WALK THE BETTER YOU WILL FEEL. GOOD LUCK TO YOU

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register