I have a question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a question... I have a question...

Unread 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I have a question...

I've been reading a lot about women still being tired and having no energy at 6,8, 10 weeks out. I'm wondering if it's because we don't do enough earlier on?
OK... let me explain myself. During my first two weeks, my MIL was staying with me and wouldn't let me do anything. I mean nothing. She yelled at me to get back to bed if I came down stairs for a glass of water. 30 years ago, when she had her hysterectomy, that was the norm. 10 days in the hospital and 6 weeks of nothing.
When she left, I was as weak as a kitten. I could literally feel my leg muscles turning to mush. I was tired all the time, and felt crappy.
Since then, I've been doing light housework, cooking, shopping (kids push the basket) and walking on my treadmill a little each day. I feel great! I haven't even had to take motrin in over a week, let alone pain meds.
Soooo, what do you think. COuld this theory be sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I have a question...

Lack of energy for me came from the anesthesia and pain meds. As soon as I quit with meds at two weeks my energy level started to get better every day. My doctor said it would take up to six months to get back to pre-surgery energy level, but I found at about 6 weeks I had more energy than before I had surgery!

Guess I was lucky, even though my husband did almost everything for awhile, I never had that "weak as a kitten " problem. Guess we're all different - it will be interesting to see how it worked for some of the others here!
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I have a question...

Hi,

It's always possible that your theory is correct.

However, I read an article recently regarding post-hysterectomy fatigue, and it mentioned that one of the main causes of fatigue after hysterectomy was the fact that many women are anemic going into this surgery. Anemia can cause extreme fatigue (even before surgery) and it sometimes takes months for your body to build up it's iron stores after surgery.

It's important to remember too that this is major surgery. Your body expends a lot of energy in healing, so it takes time to recover completely - as long as 6 months to a year. But the good news is that the fatigue does eventually disappear.

Here's a link to that article if you're interested in reading it:

http://www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=109

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a question...

I think it could be a sound theory, at least to a point.

I think it's probably a fine line between doing too much and not doing enough, and I suspect erring too much on either side can really delay getting back to normal.

My doc was pretty emphatic about not laying around all the time, he said that was the worst thing I could do. He emphasized the need to move around and get exercise (by walking, doing light housework, etc.) much more than he emphasized the things that I shouldn't do.
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a question...

I agree that consistently increasing your activity level is important in getting stronger. However, I think we need to be careful about comparing recovery rates. Not everyone has the same type of surgery and not everyone heals at the same rate. The level of activity that any person can tolerate after surgery is a pretty individual thing.

The danger for many sisters is the urge to over do it. I think it might be that over doing it too early is a bigger contributor to a slow recovery. But of course, I don't really know. Just a theory.
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a question...

or.............maybe you feel good now because you had 14 days to rest???

It is a fine line....bed rest is not correct unless ordered by your doctor and out shopping is not correct. We must use common sense, doctors instructions and most of all... listen to our bodies.

I'm glad for you that you are doing so well.
Take care,
Maralyn
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
I have a question...

My doctor explained it this way: He said that the initial two weeks after surgery (3 of which were spent in the hospital, pretty much flat on my back), the patient should do very, very little other than getting up to shower, go potty, and take short walks.

He also said that it takes very little time for the body to get "out of condition". Add to the fact that I was in rather poor condition pre-hysterectomy (from being overweight, anemic, and unable to even get a good deep breath), and it was no surprise to me that it took weeks to feel up to doing much.

In my case, since I wasn't in good shape, it was a very good thing I didn't try to push myself. I really think that would have hindered my recovery, which really required all the energy I had.

The key seems to be successfully and gradually increasing your activity level so that you don't have too many setbacks.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I have a question...

My doctor told me to listen to my body. She gave me no restrictions on stairs other than do what I was comfortable with. She did say no lifting over 15 pounds. She delivered my grand daughter so ... she specifically said... No lifting the baby. Let someone put her in your lap..

I've been good overall. I do get tired. But manage to get out just about every day. Today I went to the Hallmark Store to pick up thank you cards.

Tonight I'm having problems sleeping. I think it's from not doing enough during the day. I had problems in insomnia a couple of years ago. I just hope this isn't more of that.
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I have a question...

There's a lot to be said for getting up and getting moving as much as you are comfortably and safely able to manage. There's a fine line though, between keeping it comfortable and overdoing. I see others have mentioned anesthesia, medications, anemia and sleep disorder problems as causes of weakness and fatigue. Boy, I had 'em ALL!
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I have a question...

My recovery really taught me to listen to my body....have found that it knows what it needs!

It is a scientific fact that healing, especially at the cellular level, takes place best when we are sleeping.........body focuses on cellular regeneration, instead of having to attend to major muscle functions. After all, that is why we must sleep, as living beings...otherwise, we could stay up forever! SOooo.......if we require sleep under normal circumstances for regeneration, it is logical that we need MUCH more sleep after major surgery and the huge healing job our bods must perform.

Your theory may be correct, but just don't ignore your body if it screams for rest. Take care....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register